When to Flush - What does 2 weeks look like?

• Thread starter NorCalAlien
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

NorCalAlien

Hi - Internet consensus seems to be to flush about 2 weeks before harvest. I've also read the consensus of what the plants/pistols should like when it's time to harvest.

BUT, what should the plant look like when it is two weeks before harvest and time to flush?

I'm currently growing two Wedding Cake clones, indoors in soil. Flower time is said to be 6-8 weeks. Do I start to flush at 4 weeks to avoid fert taste if they are ready at 6? Or is there something that will tell me whether harvest is likely to be closer to the 6 or 8 week mark and thereby when to flush?

1st indoor grow, 3 prior outdoor. 600w hps main light. About 150w of random leftover led's side/under lighting, Fox Farms Nutes., NorCal - a little dry. 3d week of Flower and they're looking great so far.

Observationist

Observationist

Hi - Internet consensus seems to be to flush about 2 weeks before harvest. I've also read the consensus of what the plants/pistols should like when it's time to harvest.

BUT, what should the plant look like when it is two weeks before harvest and time to flush?

I'm currently growing two Wedding Cake clones, indoors in soil. Flower time is said to be 6-8 weeks. Do I start to flush at 4 weeks to avoid fert taste if they are ready at 6? Or is there something that will tell me whether harvest is likely to be closer to the 6 or 8 week mark and thereby when to flush?

1st indoor grow, 3 prior outdoor. 600w hps main light. About 150w of random leftover led's side/under lighting, Fox Farms Nutes., NorCal - a little dry. 3d week of Flower and they're looking great so far.
I think the plant should be green, buds developed/fattening, after that.

I’d say @ 6 weeks.

and depends on the trichomes, do you want more of a couch lock high?

(My 2cents, I have not been growing for years like others here)

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter

you should keep researching flushing, as whatever your reading is wrong..
because it’s non sense..
you lower the nutrients as you near the end..
8CE2AB46 8A32 4702 AEF0 31FC0C113714

N

NorCalAlien

Much Obliged.

Depriving the plant of nutrients for two weeks seemed problematic. However, the assertion that it resulted in a possibly smaller yield with a significantly "non-fertalizer" taste, didn't seem unreasonable.

I may well be dense, but can you further explain?

Like, is the idea to incrementally drop down in such a way that (in theory) you harvest on what would have been the first no fert. day?

because it’s non sense..
you lower the nutrients as you near the end..View attachment 1223382

N

NorCalAlien

because it’s non sense..
you lower the nutrients as you near the end..View attachment 1223382

Pt. 2 - For what it's worth, I've been following Fox Farms nutrient guide pretty well. It does include the switch in ratios (and product) according to week/flowering, but it doesn't indicate any lowering of nutrients. I had combined that guide with my understanding of a final nutrient and flush 2 weeks pre harvest. But, I could buy a slow decrease being the way to go.

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

Flush 1 or 2 times as the last watering for the plants before you chop. I flush back to back days with 50 degree water. As if the environment outside when it turns to fall the rain, air is cooler. From experience it's cleans out the minerals and salt build ups in the medium. I also believe the shock of cold roots stimulate the plant sending all the sugars and energy to the buds to protect them from cold.

In the process now I have a batch going to the lab I didn't flush I sent the same genetic when I did flush. Only physical difference is stronger smell so far.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Pt. 2 - For what it's worth, I've been following Fox Farms nutrient guide pretty well. It does include the switch in ratios (and product) according to week/flowering, but it doesn't indicate any lowering of nutrients. I had combined that guide with my understanding of a final nutrient and flush 2 weeks pre harvest. But, I could buy a slow decrease being the way to go.
firstly there are so many ways to grow weed..
honestly i never follow nutrient charts or nothing, never ph, ppm, ec.. etc
to me the more complicated you make growing the more difficult it’ll be..
so after some trial and errors i’ve decided with going the way i did..
you’ll really just have to go through a couple grows with what you got to really understand how things work, kinda learning as you and willing to accept failure.
yes we can help you out to be hopefully successful!!
in all my experience i’ve had, it’s the drying and curing process which mainly promotes how your weed will turn out.
i’ve actually fed plants than harvested them the same day, buds tasted great, high was great, no different..
some strains are naturally a little harsh,
but all in all it’s in the drying and curing!!
trust me!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
firstly there are so many ways to grow weed..
honestly i never follow nutrient charts or nothing, never ph, ppm, ec.. etc
to me the more complicated you make growing the more difficult it’ll be..
so after some trial and errors i’ve decided with going the way i did..
you’ll really just have to go through a couple grows with what you got to really understand how things work, kinda learning as you and willing to accept failure.
yes we can help you out to be hopefully successful!!
in all my experience i’ve had, it’s the drying and curing process which mainly promotes how your weed will turn out.
i’ve actually fed plants than harvested them the same day, buds tasted great, high was great, no different..
some strains are naturally a little harsh,
but all in all it’s in the drying and curing!!
trust me!
picture-8 weeks today and still very healthy!
keeping a plant healthy with its nutrient needs to the end is the way to go, no such thing as fall colours with indoor growing unless you purposely screw with ph and temperatures..

Top Bottom