When to start seeds for outdoor plants

• Thread starter billyparks
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
billyparks

billyparks

I grew my first plants last year and they were amazing plants, but I think i was forced to harvest early due to an extremely wet cold fall. I'm wondering when I should be starting my seeds to ensure they get enough time to mature and produce full buds?

I am located in Ontario Canada, near Ottawa.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I grew my first plants last year and they were amazing plants, but I think i was forced to harvest early due to an extremely wet cold fall. I'm wondering when I should be starting my seeds to ensure they get enough time to mature and produce full buds?

I am located in Ontario Canada, near Ottawa.
It's not so much the timing of your starts as it is the strains you choose. If you start your photoperiod plants early with either indoor lighting or outdoor supplemental lighting, they will simply grow larger than they would otherwise. It's not going to improve your maturation speed.

I've grown shiskaberry by Barney's Farm. In mid-Michigan, it's ready by mid to late September. I'd also look at some of the "Fast" versions from Delicious seeds. Their Sugar Black Rose early version will also finish in September. If you're still unsure, maybe autoflowers (which I have not grown yet) might be a better choice for you outside.

billyparks

billyparks

It's not so much the timing of your starts as it is the strains you choose. If you start your photoperiod plants early with either indoor lighting or outdoor supplemental lighting, they will simply grow larger than they would otherwise. It's not going to improve your maturation speed.

I've grown shiskaberry by Barney's Farm. In mid-Michigan, it's ready by mid to late September. I'd also look at some of the "Fast" versions from Delicious seeds. Their Sugar Black Rose early version will also finish in September. If you're still unsure, maybe autoflowers (which I have not grown yet) might be a better choice for you outside.
Thanks, I have a couple of strains to try this year, i did try to find ones with shorter flowering times.

When do you move your plants outdoors?

Madbud

Madbud

I start seeds indoors in mid-march then move them outdoors in early May. Key is knowing how many hours of daylight in May and giving them the same hours indoors to prevent revegging, 16/8 or 15/9 indoors.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Thanks, I have a couple of strains to try this year, i did try to find ones with shorter flowering times.

When do you move your plants outdoors?
Actually I don't grow outside anymore. I have a greenhouse, but greenhouses are tricky to regulate the environment. The answers to the climate struggle inside a greenhouse are expensive and more than I want to spend. In fact, my wife and I are considering not having a summer run this year so we can take a vacation.

The last outdoor run I did, I started my plants inside during the middle of May under 16/8 light. I moved them outside on the first day of summer so the hours of daylight outside pretty much matches what I'd given them indoors .... and then allowed nature to do the rest. My reason for starting them late and moving them outside when I did has more to do with trying to keep plant size down so they didn't try to grow through the roof of my greenhouse.

GreenFlexTiger420

GreenFlexTiger420

Check when you have at least have 14 of light outside and you should be good but you can add a light and extended the hours a bit to be sure I'll find the site I used and share

Galvatron

Galvatron

You can bring your plants outside or in greenhouse as soon a weather permits. The trick to prevent flower start and re-veg is to put a few cheep solar lights on them.
After sunset the lights come on automatically. It won't be enough to "make them grow" much, but will prevent the dreaded re-veg.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
need more than 14 hrs light..
it’s more like how big do you want it if it’s going into the ground..
i try to put out by it before june 1 and plants are generally 2ft or so tall..
i’m in southern ontario..
gelato dream from anesia is a dream come true for outdoors in the ground here..

Top Bottom