when to start using cal/mag?

• Thread starter Jonyyyy420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jonyyyy420

Jonyyyy420

Im a new grower, on my second grow. The first grow went fine but had alot of discolouration. a friend of mine said it was most probably a lack of cal/mag.
I am now on to week 2 of the current grow. when do people start using cal/mag and if any other ideas on what it might be, if not cal/mag i would love to hear them please
TIA

Kepp89

Kepp89

think you can remember what the discoloration looks like? look at this pic. the 2 on the bottom left. calcium and magnesium. if they show those signs, then add cal/mag when you see it, just dont go overboard. less is more when trying to find what works for the plant.

also, save this pic. its hella useful. and google the "ph availability chart". it'll show where each of these nutrients are best available to the roots. those 2 images are key to get an idea of whats going on with the leaves.

LEAF DEFICIENCIES
Kepp89

Kepp89

Even if it is a calcium or magnesium issue the question is why does it need that particular nutrient? So it's not really a 'when' question, it's a 'why'
don’t leave us hanging now

if they’re blocked by out of balance feed or a slow release/salt buildup within the soil, wouldn’t the leaves/plant health show more signs than just a calmag deficiency?

I always thought if one thing is lacking while nothing else is over fed then it’s because the soil doesn’t have it.

Jonyyyy420

Jonyyyy420

thanks for the pic, this will difinitely be usefull.
by looking at the pick it was a cal mag deficiency, my foliage is still fully green at the moment so i will just keep an eye on whats happening and work of the pick
thanks again bro.

Kepp89

Kepp89

thanks for the pic, this will difinitely be usefull.
by looking at the pick it was a cal mag deficiency, my foliage is still fully green at the moment so i will just keep an eye on whats happening and work of the pick
thanks again bro.
Like beach man said though, you might wanna figure out the why.
Most of the time tap water has enough cal/mag in it to keep the plants happy. Sometimes nute imbalances in the soil lockout other nutes and in this case may be locking out cal/mag. Or maybe if your soil has slow release nutrients that’ll cause issue too. I’m not savvy enough to know the why, I only the what. So if you add calmag and don’t see an improvement, you’ll need to solve for Why before adding even more.

Jonyyyy420

Jonyyyy420

Like beach man said though, you might wanna figure out the why.
Most of the time tap water has enough cal/mag in it to keep the plants happy. Sometimes nute imbalances in the soil lockout other nutes and in this case may be locking out cal/mag. Or maybe if your soil has slow release nutrients that’ll cause issue too. I’m not savvy enough to know the why, I only the what. So if you add calmag and don’t see an improvement, you’ll need to solve for Why before adding even more.

yeah i gave them one dose of cal/mag and now looking at the chart weekly to make sure everything is kosher, thanks bro.

Top Bottom