When to switch the bulb over?

• Thread starter BuddKlott
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BuddKlott

onto my second growing adventure after being given some cuttings that had been grown for a few weeks before hand. (got to get some seeds next and repay the favour :handshake )
So i've vegged em in my tent for a week and i went 12/12 on Monday -any bigger then i'll be having jack and the giant beanstalk problems 6 weeks from now :cool0041:

anyway at the moment their under the mh vegging light on 12/12 - should i swap to the flowering bulb asap or wait for a week or so?

thanks

M

mellofello

Last grow I switched when I flicked over to 12/12, this grow I'm just over a week into flower and still on the MH. I read it may sto them stretching so much, different stains this time though so I can't tell you for sure if its made a difference.

peace

mello

B

BuddKlott

if it stops stretching that'd be great - i might leave it until the flowers start to come out - then swap the bulb over, reckon this'd be okay?

D

Donk Frog

If you have both MH an HPS you should run both if you can..... dual spectrum is great for plant more like in nature plus more blue spec near end of flower will increase potency....IMHO

B

BuddKlott

so if i switch back over to mh for the last two weeks or so it'll rock!!! :fighting0087: nice!!

does anyone grow under just one type of light / or can't be arsed to swap over?

I

IronLionZion

Currently I'm growing BC Bud Depot's Purps. Vegged and Flowering under 2x 400w HPS lights :)

I must say that this run has produced a much more dense plant than previous runs with cfls or MH for veg.

R

Redux

so if i switch back over to mh for the last two weeks or so it'll rock!!! :fighting0087: nice!!QUOTE]
Uhhhh...have talked to one..what I consider a fairly knowledgable grower...and he told me switching back to MH the last few weeks after using HPS for the bulk of flower will kill your yield. When changing bulbs I've only used an MH in flower through the stretch then switched to HPS. I have used MH exclusively for veg and flower though but not what you're asking here.

B

BuddKlott

its all good redux, all knowledge is power after all, anyways i'm gonna leave em on mh for another week (that'll be 3), then change over to hps for the final 6/7 weeks cos i think my ladies are 9/10 weekers.. sage an ww

i got another question though; I was told that the plants do most of their final upwards growth spurt in the first two weeks of flowering, and the rest of the time they concentrate on making the flowers etc. is this true?

-if it is does this mean that after two weeks or so the plant should be at maxim height - or there abouts? I'm just a little worried as my ww is already over half the height of the tent (oops)

but its all good

J

Jalisco Kid

That depends on the strain,some will triple their length and and some you can flip at 24" and end up with a 30 inch plant. There are a variety of mh or hps spectrum. You can buy a cool mh or a warm mh same as hps. Using different spectrum's is better for a plant. I have a few different types of bulbs that I can use. I can sw my lights from mh to hps just by throwing a sw. Sats like uv more so the last 3 weeks I throw in a lot more blue. I rarely have pure indicas so I can not comment on those. JK

B

BuddKlott

cheers dude, got me thinking about buying a blue cfl to chuck in there at the same time as my hps is on hehe!

R

Redux

i got another question though; I was told that the plants do most of their final upwards growth spurt in the first two weeks of flowering, and the rest of the time they concentrate on making the flowers etc. is this true?

-if it is does this mean that after two weeks or so the plant should be at maxim height - or there abouts?
That's generally true with most indoor strains except some sat dom and especially pure sat stuff will stretch for much longer than those first two weeks.

A

astro

Just ran a grow all the way through using ceramic metal halide bulbs and it worked fine.

D

dank.frank

If you have both MH an HPS you should run both if you can..... dual spectrum is great for plant more like in nature plus more blue spec near end of flower will increase potency....IMHO

Just to explain this a bit more...it has nothing really to do with the spectrum. It has to do with the amount of UVB released by a MH vs. the UVB released by a HPS. It is a commonly discussed idea...UVB and its effects on cannabis. It is my understanding, that UVB actually "damages" the plants and they produce more trichs in an effort to deflect this type of light and protect themselves.

It is said by some that UVB makes no difference at all...and then other growers swear by it and won't grow with out it. However, I know in nature, it isn't like there is a sudden change during the fall and more blue light is suddenly there for the plants...so I don't believe this increase in potency can be attributed to spectrum; just my opinion.

I however, believe that introducing UVB to grow doesn't not necessarily produce a visibly different bud, but I think the end products is much more sedative in its effects...

dank.Frank

A

andytoker

the extra light you get out of an hps will do more for your flowers towards the end than the improved spectrum (but lower intensity) of a mh

i used mh for 2-3 weeks at the start of flowering last time and it does help with the stretch (ie reduces it). then its hps till the end

Latest posts

Top Bottom