When to top my plants

• Thread starter Holden9cox
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Holden9cox

Holden9cox

Like the title says from the info I gathered it’s after the 5th or 6th node but I’d like to hear what you guys say

Farmer88

Farmer88

@growsince79 When you say fourth node. Do you count from the first set of leaves or from the cotyleden and upwards. I usually count from the first set of true leaves though some might consider that the third node. Curiosity.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Like the title says from the info I gathered it’s after the 5th or 6th node but I’d like to hear what you guys say
I don't top usually. Instead, I'm a big fan of LST. I use pipe cleaners to tie the main stem over at roughly 90 degrees. This allows the side branches to catch up which gives you multiple "tops" type buds. The benefits are you aren't removing vegetation so you don't need to lengthen veg time to regrow the lost vegetation. This allows me to flip to 12/12 4-6 weeks into the grow or when the plants are roughly 18"-20" tall.

I start training the plants at about 12".

It's food for thought ...

growsince79

growsince79

@growsince79 When you say fourth node. Do you count from the first set of leaves or from the cotyleden and upwards. I usually count from the first set of true leaves though some might consider that the third node. Curiosity.
The pads are 0, the single blade leaf is 1. When I top it's usually about day 14, after the 4th. That leaves me with 8 branches. I cut the bottom 4 off after 2 days, leaving 4 branches. Sometimes I'll top the top 2 branches again around day 20 and flip to flower a week-10 days later. If everything goes well, they make 3-4oz each in 90-100 days from sprout.

Farmer88

Farmer88

The pads are 0, the single blade leaf is 1. When I top it's usually about day 14, after the 4th. That leaves me with 8 branches. I cut the bottom 4 off after 2 days, leaving 4 branches. Sometimes I'll top the top 2 branches again around day 20 and flip to flower a week-10 days later. If everything goes well, they make 3-4oz each in 90-100 days from sprout.

Copy that. Thanks for the clarification.

Top Bottom