When to transplant?

• Thread starter Green Harvest
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Green Harvest

I just germinated a dozen seeds about 1 week ago. Some of the seedlings are doing really well and the tap root has made it to the bottom of the rockwool and is growing horizontally along the bottom of the cube.

The cubes will be going into 3" net pots in a DWC system, until sex can be determined. Their final home will be an ebb & flow SCROG setup.

Trying to decide if I should go ahead and move the cubes over to the DWC with only ph adjusted water, leave the cubes in a tray for a while longer, or moving the cubes over to the DWC with a very light nutes (aprox. 500ppm)

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

D

Dr Herbal

I would put them in the dwc mate vita link plant start works great for plants that age

G

Green Harvest

I figured I should go ahead and move them. What about light? keep them under cfls for another week or 2 before switching to HPS?

D

Dr Herbal

A photo would be good to see how big they are but its up to you what light you use. I personaly use a 125 evirlite for the first 2wk then move them under a 250mh What hps is it if you can i would switch to mh insted of hps or as least miti spectrum bulb you will get less males that way. If you do use an hps/mh just make sure you dont put the light too close

G

Green Harvest

Well this has been a learning experience. I think I should have just put the plants in the bubbler with ph adjusted water. the seedlings apear to be getting nutrient burns. I can't provide a picture at this time, but they are all 2" - 3" tall with just their first set of real leaves. A couple of the plants have their second set of leaves coming in. The leaves have started to curl down and have brown and yellows spots forming on them, some just at the tips and others all over the leaves. It's a good thing this run was just with bag seed. I may go ahead and germinate some more and try things a little differently this time.

I've been using 2 26w cfl's (about 1600 lumens a piece) for the seedlings, and I have a wide range of ballasts and bulbs, 250w, 400w, 1000w hps. I'm pretty sure I can take the starter out of the circuit and use the same ballasts for MH bulbs as well. There is a small difference in operating specs, but it should be within the operating limits of the MH bulbs.

D

Dr Herbal

yeah id leave the hps/mh at least a wk there still babys, but when you do insted of taking you ballest apart just get a multi spectrum bulb there cheeper than mh most of the time. When you do move on to a bigger light start with the 250 unless you have a big veg room i personally wouldnt use 1000w light at all. The yellowing and brown spots iam not to sure on, nutrients and deffs/overfeed iam still learning my self i wouldnt want to say for deffo without a pic soz, have you given them any food yet if not id give them some but go easy i like to use a seedling/clone nuke called plant start by vita-link or canna(id go for the vita-link) try a cf of 2-4 based on you water having a cf of 0. What grow medium are you using, iam guessing rockwool or claypebbles if it is you gotta remember they have no nutrients in them so the seedlings could be starving. Personally id take the seedlings out of the dwc and pot them in soil wait till there sexed then cut the top half of the fem plants root them and stick the clones in the dwc it will take longer but i think things would go a bit more smoothly plus you will have a few mums incase you find a keeper hope this helps ya Dr H :)

G

Green Harvest

I had planned on using the 250w for veg and the 400w for flower. The 1000w is just one I have around and might be useful if I ever decide to expand to a larger grow. Right now I'm just trying to learn the whole process first hand.

My current seedlings are getting some nutes. I'm feeding the a low dose of BC grow and boost, 500ppm. They are in 3" net pots with a couple layers of hydroton in the bottom, a rockwool cube on top of that and hydroton around the rockwool.

I'm wanting to get a feel for hydro, I'm just using bag seed and I've got plenty of them to practice with. Thanks for your advice and help

G

Green Harvest

Problems disappearing

My problems seem to be disappearing. The first set of leaves still don't look great, but I think the damage has already been done there. There are new sets of leaves coming in that look happy and healthy. I think I just might look for my camera tonight so I can take a couple pictures.

D

Darth Bud

Most of mine did this and I was worried, now they are a meter high and look fantastic I've learnt not to rush things and dilute nutes a bit more and not to panic LOL
I put my seedlings in a 1.5 ec reading and I should have had it at 1.0 oh well

D

Dr Herbal

My problems seem to be disappearing. The first set of leaves still don't look great, but I think the damage has already been done there. There are new sets of leaves coming in that look happy and healthy. I think I just might look for my camera tonight so I can take a couple pictures.

Iam glad there getting better mate :) hope you do put some pics up would like to have a look :)

G

Green Harvest

I put some pictures in my gallery. These pics are about 5 days old and the plants have really flourished since then. As soon as I figure out where my camera disappeared to I'll post some more

Top Bottom