When to trim

• Thread starter Xan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Xan

Xan

My plants started flowering they are autos, when should I trim the sun leaves?
When to trim

zzzybil

zzzybil

How about just before chop ? Read dry trim = smoother smoke , is that fact ? Totally understand it would slow down drying which IF thats a issue - then smart ! But how about tropical locations where humidity NEVER gets lower than 70% and drying below 60% requires a dehumidifier..........Honestly HERE I suspect the plant could hang indefinitely near about anyways . However pia dry trimming is - Is there ANY science based fact of leaving fan leaves makes for a process contributing to SMOOTHER END PRODUCT ??????????????????

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Perhaps there's a discussion to be had regarding the defoliation of photo period plants, but as said above I would also recommend never trimming an auto

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
There is a difference between defoliating and trimming, with both having their plusses and minus's. Defoliating is a somewhat controversial process that strips most leaves off, while trimming removes some of the larger leaves, allowing light to reach further into the plant and hitting more bud growth sites. I trim as needed to allow the light to reach as many new growth sites as possible, which will encourage the sites to grow and increase the number of bud sites. Plants store and make energy in their leaves, so cutting them back tends to make your buds smaller... the theory is that the plant will concentrate it's energies into the buds, although I personally don't agree with it and feel it just hurts and stresses the plant. I pick the occasional leaf to allow the light in, and I do it every few days since new leaves will grow in, and any movement of the plant will shade new areas and allow light into previously shaded areas. I just take a few leaves and try to leave the bottom leaves on if they aren't yellow...they don't block any light since they are on the bottom, and they help create and store food/energy. The theory that they drain the plant isn't verified by any studies that I know of and is more of an urban legend, IMHO.

zzzybil

zzzybil

thanks jimster ! Since I don't have any factual basis , my opinion is they are the energy and nutrient processing power of the plant soooo my interference with removing'm should be minimal . I've had a plant that thrived under abuse and defoliating (bagseed experiment ) and an auto that pouted for DAYS after minimal leaf fimmin. It's my opinion some are just more delicate or sensitive while another ''grows like a weed'' no matter.

I'm pretty senstive myself and tryin to stay that way . When should OP trim fan leaves (sun leaves) ......... I GET NEVER lol.......... but as a forum's discussion can be expanded .......... EVENTUALLY they ARE commin off ! They need their energy factories untill the chop but THEN WHAT - is suffering through DRY TRIMMIN have any factual basis??

Shirley if yuh need to prolong a slower dry time.......... but if not the pia factor AND beating the hell outta flower once they've curled and tangled themselves - dry trim must be more damaging so to speak...........

:badboy:Not talking ''defoliation'' which in general I consider an issue while the plant is GROWING or ALIVE ........... Nobody would want to smoke fan /sun leaves sooooooo ..................... nevermind........... I just wonder

Reactions: Xan
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

thanks jimster ! Since I don't have any factual basis , my opinion is they are the energy and nutrient processing power of the plant soooo my interference with removing'm should be minimal . I've had a plant that thrived under abuse and defoliating (bagseed experiment ) and an auto that pouted for DAYS after minimal leaf fimmin. It's my opinion some are just more delicate or sensitive while another ''grows like a weed'' no matter.

I'm pretty senstive myself and tryin to stay that way . When should OP trim fan leaves (sun leaves) ......... I GET NEVER lol.......... but as a forum's discussion can be expanded .......... EVENTUALLY they ARE commin off ! They need their energy factories untill the chop but THEN WHAT - is suffering through DRY TRIMMIN have any factual basis??

Shirley if yuh need to prolong a slower dry time.......... but if not the pia factor AND beating the hell outta flower once they've curled and tangled themselves - dry trim must be more damaging so to speak...........

:badboy:Not talking ''defoliation'' which in general I consider an issue while the plant is GROWING or ALIVE ........... Nobody would want to smoke fan /sun leaves sooooooo ..................... nevermind........... I just wonder
You are growing an auto correct? I have never grown an auto but i would say its best if it can be avoided never to trim. It can slow the growth down a bit for a few days from stress depending on how much you trim/defoliate. That's more than likely why you got the answer NEVER.

I feel there is no 1 right way. It depends on the plants and how they are grown. Like @Jimster I trim based on the plants structure. If fan leaves are laying on one another or blocking light they get the chop. Not much to it and I found a few here and there don't slow growth much if at all. Its the big defoliation at one time that i avoid but to each their own. That's just how I do it

SunnyRadio

SunnyRadio

Like photos strain and growing conditions dictate and results will vary, you can defoliate and top auto plants results will vary depending on strain and environmental impacts. A particular strain may perform average with no interference. Same strain topped and defoliated, may double and even triple in available branches from which to harvest. Let’s not forget about phenotypes too same strain differing phenotypes same actions different results. There are no definitives, always and never have no place in botany.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Like photos strain and growing conditions dictate and results will vary, you can defoliate and top auto plants results will vary depending on strain and environmental impacts. A particular strain may perform average with no interference. Same strain topped and defoliated, may double and even triple in available branches from which to harvest. Let’s not forget about phenotypes too same strain differing phenotypes same actions different results. There are no definitives, always and never have no place in botany.
So you are saying with the same strains and growing conditions for sake of argument the same phenotype (i know this is not likely to happen), topping and defoliation with autos can produce better results? Interesting difference from what others say and makes no sense to me since they are on a clock per se. There are absolutely definitives and nevers in botany who are you kidding? Photo period and auto's are not the same and defoliation and topping reduce growth rates and makes no sense with an auto. If you want better results with an auto then do LST it won't slow the growth and gives virtually the same benefits as defoliating and topping. I haven't even grown an auto and can tell you that based on how plants grow. Whats next super cropping auto's?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Thanks for pointing out the difference between trimming & defoliation; however with the handful of auto freebies I've grown they do seem to be on a timed basis and I personally wouldn't take a single leaf off or slow them down in any way if I could avoid it, but I do take a few leaves off when a plant is close to being done if it's blocking a bud site

SunnyRadio

SunnyRadio

So you are saying with the same strains and growing conditions for sake of argument the same phenotype (i know this is not likely to happen), topping and defoliation with autos can produce better results? Interesting difference from what others say and makes no sense to me since they are on a clock per se. There are absolutely definitives and nevers in botany who are you kidding? Photo period and auto's are not the same and defoliation and topping reduce growth rates and makes no sense with an auto. If you want better results with an auto then do LST it won't slow the growth and gives virtually the same benefits as defoliating and topping. I haven't even grown an auto and can tell you that based on how plants grow. Whats next super cropping auto's?
There was a time when everyone said the earth was flat too... till someone did something different and got a different result...

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

There was a time when everyone said the earth was flat too... till someone did something different and got a different result...
Wait!! you mean the earth is not flat? Sorry I had to. Look no hard feelings, maybe i put that a little to strong but I do stand behind what i said. I agree advances are made all the time in science and techniques, but one byproduct of that is people just randomly throwing techniques developed for one thing at something else and claiming it works. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. In this case they do not.

detroitjoe

detroitjoe

as if the plant never gets "bruised" in the wild.
i like a hardy fruit, not soft n fluffy. i dont bother with auto flowers but if they are 100 % female, i will strip that biotch, snap,bend..tie down and what ever it takes to create an even canopy.

from my own experiences and millions of other growers, there is good stress and bad stress.

a monkey can grow a plant and get it to bud. it depends how you want your fruit in the end.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

as if the plant never gets "bruised" in the wild.
i like a hardy fruit, not soft n fluffy. i dont bother with auto flowers but if they are 100 % female, i will strip that biotch, snap,bend..tie down and what ever it takes to create an even canopy.

from my own experiences and millions of other growers, there is good stress and bad stress.

a monkey can grow a plant and get it to bud. it depends how you want your fruit in the end.
This coming from a guy who makes resin from fan leaves and cooks banana soup for his plants.

Do that to an auto and let me know how that works out for ya. Stunted AF and next to nothing to smoke is my bet. At least with a photo's you can keep vegging to get what you want so that would make sense. LST would do all you need with an auto they don't get that big.

detroitjoe

detroitjoe

This coming from a guy who makes resin from fan leaves and cooks banana soup for his plants.

[ you missed me; i know. ]

Do that to an auto and let me know how that works out for ya. Stunted AF and next to nothing to smoke is my bet. At least with a photo's you can keep vegging to get what you want so that would make sense. LST would do all you need with an auto they don't get that big.

[you saw my handle and ya got so excited that you clearly didnt read my reply.

i dont mess with auto flowers.
i dont mess with boys, no tranny, no transgender...no bisexual...etc.

I dont waste time lollygagging like some of ya'll.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

[you saw my handle and ya got so excited that you clearly didnt read my reply.

i dont mess with auto flowers.
i dont mess with boys, no tranny, no transgender...no bisexual...etc.

I dont waste time lollygagging like some of ya'll.
Fair assessment lol. But the way it read you could take it as advice that doing that to an auto would be ok. At least with my old ass eyes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom