When to Use Doktor Doom Fogger

• Thread starter Tac
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Tac

Hi everyone,

Posted this in another forum so I apologize for the re-post but I’m new to the site, and all of this in general. This forum seemed more active so I’m hoping for an answer as soon as possible!

When would someone typically use this Doktor Doom Total Release Fogger?

My partner just harvested her plants from a small tent (3lx3wx6h; 54 cu ft) inside our home. She noticed bugs in the tent and had someone more experienced come by and they think they were spider mites or similar kinds of bugs.

My question is really about using a Fogger in a contained space the size of our tent. The label says in no smaller space than 5x5 and generally seems like it would be for large rooms. A local store here recommended just wiping it down, since the plants are already out. (He also said he’d just generally never use a product like that.)

Will wiping the area take care of bugs *and* any eggs though? What kind of solution would I use? And is the space too small for a Fogger?

Any info or experience you all have would be greatly appreciated!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I have used Pyrethrin foggers to combat spider mites with decent results. If you have removed the plants and have an empty room, then you won't have any problems with the fogger. FWIW, turn the lights and fans off for several hours, and if possible, ventilate the tent before restoring power. One danger from any aerosol product is the flammability issue. Some products are flammable and some use propane for propellants, so just air it out a little before turning the power back on. Put a bag over your lights and electronics to keep the bug stuff from coating your bulbs/Leds and electronics. I use cat flea bombs, which have Pyrethrin and it breaks down pretty quickly, being made out of crushed flowers.

T

Tac

I have used Pyrethrin foggers to combat spider mites with decent results. If you have removed the plants and have an empty room, then you won't have any problems with the fogger. FWIW, turn the lights and fans off for several hours, and if possible, ventilate the tent before restoring power. One danger from any aerosol product is the flammability issue. Some products are flammable and some use propane for propellants, so just air it out a little before turning the power back on. Put a bag over your lights and electronics to keep the bug stuff from coating your bulbs/Leds and electronics. I use cat flea bombs, which have Pyrethrin and it breaks down pretty quickly, being made out of crushed flowers.
Thanks Jimster - when you say “empty room” are you referring to the room around the tent? If so, that wouldn’t be empty. I was thinking of putting the Fogger inside the tent, zipping it up while it sprays, then ventilating after a few hours

Seraphine

Seraphine

Do you know what kind of spider mite? What do they look like? Were her plants clones or from seed? Do you have a vegetable garden outside?

If two spotted mite, you can use a doktor doom pytherin fogger but will want to follow up in 3 days with a fogger with a different active ingredient. As two spotted spider mites can build resistance to insecticide. That’s why they are called the borg “resistance is futile.”

If not two spotted spider mites then you could probably get away with using two or three doktor doom foggers spaced 3ish days apart but I wouldn’t recommend it. Always best to rotate active ingredients.

T

Tac

Do you know what kind of spider mite? What do they look like? Were her plants clones or from seed? Do you have a vegetable garden outside?

If two spotted mite, you can use a doktor doom pytherin fogger but will want to follow up in 3 days with a fogger with a different active ingredient. As two spotted spider mites can build resistance to insecticide. That’s why they are called the borg “resistance is futile.”

If not two spotted spider mites then you could probably get away with using two or three doktor doom foggers spaced 3ish days apart but I wouldn’t recommend it. Always best to rotate active ingredients.
I am not sure what kind of spider mite. I’m not even entirely sure it’s a spider mite, that was a guess by someone else. We do have a vegetable garden outside though.

I’m really just wondering about the safety of using a Fogger in such a contained space. The tent is only 54 cu ft. Any risk of putting a Fogger in there? Should I prep the area outside the tent?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
There really is no concern using them in a smaller space, but it wouldn't be good for plants and stuff. Another option would be to use a "Hot Shot2" pest strip. The active ingredient is very powerful and shouldn't be used around food or people (for extended periods of time), but it would be perfectly safe to put one in the grow room, turn the fan and lights off, and let it go for a few days. It will kill ANYTHING in there. It emits a vapor that permeates the entire room, although I would recommend letting it air out with fans on for a day or two after treatment. You can store the strips in a big ziplock for later use. I wouldn't recommend this for flowering, but it might be OK for vegging if not used too long. The strips are pretty safe, but are about the strongest thing you can get without a special license. Years ago, they used to be called Shell No Pest Strips and were found hanging in just about every household during the early 70s. The current version is pretty safe, but can still cause a lot of problems if ingested or overexposed.

T

Tac

There really is no concern using them in a smaller space, but it wouldn't be good for plants and stuff. Another option would be to use a "Hot Shot2" pest strip. The active ingredient is very powerful and shouldn't be used around food or people (for extended periods of time), but it would be perfectly safe to put one in the grow room, turn the fan and lights off, and let it go for a few days. It will kill ANYTHING in there. It emits a vapor that permeates the entire room, although I would recommend letting it air out with fans on for a day or two after treatment. You can store the strips in a big ziplock for later use. I wouldn't recommend this for flowering, but it might be OK for vegging if not used too long. The strips are pretty safe, but are about the strongest thing you can get without a special license. Years ago, they used to be called Shell No Pest Strips and were found hanging in just about every household during the early 70s. The current version is pretty safe, but can still cause a lot of problems if ingested or overexposed.
Yeah since the plants are now out of the tent, I’m not worried about the Fogger ruining them in any way. Any prep I should do for the room *outside* of the tent?

I had thought I could just set the Fogger off for a few hours then turn the fan on to ventilate it

Seraphine

Seraphine

I am not sure what kind of spider mite. I’m not even entirely sure it’s a spider mite, that was a guess by someone else. We do have a vegetable garden outside though.

I’m really just wondering about the safety of using a Fogger in such a contained space. The tent is only 54 cu ft. Any risk of putting a Fogger in there? Should I prep the area outside the tent?

They could have been aphids too. They are more common in a veg garden than spider mites. It’s best to know your enemy before you treat. Could you share extra info you have about the pest? Color, size, plant damage, etc.
You can open the tents and fog the whole room. It’s likely he pest is outside of the tent so you’d benefit from fogging the whole area. If there are no plants in the tent, then you’d be fine closing it up in there. you don’t want that fogger to close to the plants as pytherin can damage the foliage.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I had thought I could just set the Fogger off for a few hours then turn the fan on to ventilate it
You can. Just as a precaution I would open the door to the tent for a few minutes before turning the fans on, just to allow any potentially flammable vapor concentrations to dissipate a little. Outside of the room, I would spray with as strong of a residual bug killer that you can find, but not the stuff based on boric acid/borax (kills ants and cockroaches). A barrier insecticide will help with unwanted intruders arriving from outside the tent via the ground. The stuff that you spray and it keeps bugs out for 3+ months is great for the outside perimeter. I don't know if I would use it inside as it could possibly contaminate the plants.

Seraphine

Seraphine

Spraying the exterior perimeter is good IPM. Also, NEVER go into the grow room after anytime in the garden/outside unless you’ve changed your clothes and showered. I always do my grow room work first thing in the morning.

Also, as girl, you have to put your hair up. Ive even thought about wrapping my hair in a scarf before going into the grow room because I don’t wash my hair every day.

zzzybil

zzzybil

i would think if the tent had mites - the room its in does too with prolly lotta hiding spots ???

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Like @zzzybil stated the room itself has them no doubt as well. Clean the tent real good. Keep tent door and all vents open all the way close the door to the room and put a towel under the door that exits the room. Be sure all electrical items are off and blast away. Be sure to lay a large piece of visqueen plastic or paper under the fogger. This will protect your carpet in the immediate area around the fogger from staining your carpet. This will help both the tent and the room itself. Have done it many times post harvest with no issues. Some foggers will list the length of time to leave the area closed up. I always leave it an hour longer than what they say.

B

Burned Haze

Do I have to remove any equipment or make sure certain things are covered before turning one on? Don’t want to damage something expensive

I’ve never went the bomb route ( funny I even have 2 in stock lol)

Top Bottom