Welp, the spinosad has been deemed entirely ineffective. I don’t see more damaged leaves, but I see mites easily at first glance on the few leaves I looked at. I’m infested. This is my last run in this room, so I’ll be fighting them and limping along as best I can- 2.5 more months to go…
I’ll be taking any suggestions on what to do. One of my next actions is ordering some lost coast plant therapy. I hope it doesn’t take too long to arrive, can’t buy it local I don’t think. I’ll also be buying another type of organic pesticide from where I got the spinosad bottle. I thought it would have slowed them down more than this.
I filled the pots top 1.5” with perlite to make a difficult void for pests to cross from plant to roots.
I bought IMustGarden spray, I hear it on the radio a lot. Pest deterrent (specifically spider mite) and foliar benefit spray w/seaweed and oils and other stuff. Sprayed around the exterior or the room and a little underneath canopy to start. Now my entire house reeks of garlic, kind of a good smell, I hope it’s temporary. Anyone use this stuff?
I bought Permethrin at 2.5%. Needs dilution. What’s the ideal strength? I’ll look it up. Different plant needs are between 1-3 Oz per gallon on the label. I will use tonight after mixing it to strength.
Been thinking a bit about the title I picked for this thread. Now has come, the now that I had in mind for the title. It happened today, it took me somewhat by surprise but there are several posts that may have hinted at what I'd do.
I shut down the indoor flower room. It's off, except for the small clones and if they root they'll be given away. I was thinking about the bugs, how many, the little nests and webs I saw as I inspected... The temp climbed in the room to 89F today with not much I could change. All my cooling running at max, too hot in my setup, too hot today. And then I scouted around outside. I saw a few trees in the way of the sun in what I think is an ok spot. I cut them down. Not my best tree work, but they fell. I dug out a level area, pounded in a 5'-6' rough box shape with some long metal poles. Chicken wire zip tied up 2 rows for the deer. Dug down a bit so they could sit low in the area. I moved them outside this afternoon. On day 5 of flower.
I saw it as an inevitable move, and wanted to do it before flower set in too hard and the revert to whatever schedule outside is on would be minimized. The bugs were taking over, and the heat is only going to get worse. I figured outside has pretadors that will at least help. I have no idea what will happen with them outside, and I'll be winging it from here. I didn't see me doing this, spur of the moment decision with zero regrets. I'm not writing these two off, but I've drastically scaled down my expectations for them. If they do well, cool.
Nothing says “I don’t need to care about these two for a while” like 10 days strait of rain since they have been in this spot. They are not covered.
Forecast calls for another 6/7 days of rain out of the next week at least. I assume if they even survive, which they will, they will be very upset. I doubt I’ll be visiting them for a while. Bad breakup on their end. I’m happy to get the house back to normal though. The grow room began to take over, too much going on in my life for that right now in this fn heat. Shut the room down cause of the heat. New England region is like the damn South now. Wtf.
Clones all rooted, tucked them outside out of the rain in their solos. In a week they’ll go to their new 1 gals, then to their new homes at friends houses until I regroup and restart with my new setup and new genetics. I’ll be planning that out over the next months… hopefully ready to go around Nov. This thread is winding down.
I cannot overstate how much my two successful runs taught me so far. Becoming a more active member has also led me to wealths of useful information. The past 6 months have made a lifelong grower out of me for sure.
Outdoor update These ladies are loving their hilltop location, and it's been super nice to only go up and water/feed every now and then. Usually a quick 5 minute visit one or two times a week, which is good because indoor I tend to hang out and hover many hours every day. Bugs are too bad on the hill, and I've got too much to do this summer to be hanging out up there.
2 weeks ago they looked hungry, so I fed them my pbp-grow, then couple days later a top dress with Flower Girl, given to me by a friend so I wouldn't have to liquid mix all the time. Fkn raccoons or something got in there a few hours after I scratched it in, ATE or kicked away the top few inches of soil out and tore a little into some roots. MF. So I filled in the holes with regular dirt from the area and watered it in. That was last week, and I haven't seen them return. Plants didn't seem to care though, they are doing good. Now they are dark green again, gonna let them coast on water for a week and see how they do. Since they were planned for indoor I did a 16hr darkout into flip, then 3-4 days into flower when they went outside a month ago, they set up buds way faster than my friends outdoor grow. I figured they'd shock from reveg, but they just continued into flower without issue. I'm real excited to see how they go from here, and even more excited to start over with known genetics as soon as my garage reno plan allows. Time to go burn one and get some stuff done out there.