When will then be now?

• Thread starter Smithers
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Smithers

Smithers

Hello and welcome.
I've been busy the past few months creating content to post here. And I've finally got enough to flip the switch. I got some jars curing and no need to purchase for a long while. I'll ask a help question after, for my current girls, but I can't bring myself to do that in my intro post!

About me, I'm within a year of 40. My first son is a few days from 2 months. I am a recently (since August) unemployed electro-mechanical engineer from an automation and robotics manufacturer, and absolutely loving my new freedoms. In the past 8 months I flipped a house almost entirely alone (single floor of a big multi fam house, full gut, bath/kitch, joists, subfloors), and it's now in contract at market peak. I found a random reg bagseed and popped it over thanksgiving, found out it was a female after a while and dove into making my own space for it. It grew to harvest (dry 102g nugs w/ 20g trim) without a hiccup, and has been one of many current leaps into the entirely new. 2 clones of that are in week 4, and 2 clones of those are in veg taking off. I'm pretty sure I could have pushed harvest off a few more days, but my gut spoke and I did it at about 5% amber with most of them clear and flopping over to the side. Unknown strain, best weed I think I've ever smoked, conformation bias in full effect here I'm sure of it.

I need to scrap the existing space after this current run, and I will be taking a summer break. Renovations are necessary, and I will be relocating the project to a permanent space in my garage that I need to design and build out. NY just went legal, so in the fall my wife and I will be full compliant for 12x and plan to explode into our ability to freely explore this field. I smoke all daily for medicinal reasons and require a supply. I plan to search for the most effective strains and grow and harvest styles that best suit my needs for my lifestyle and medical nuances. I plan to set up a purpose build laboratory to assist my goals, and plan sealed room, co2, plc controls, data logging, the whole fucking package in the future. I'm an automation NERD! It will be a slow progression from now until now and way beyond whats happening even now. The future isn't even real, what am I saying?

Thank you all to many many farmers that have contributed to my growing knowledge base and ability to have successes. I'm so glad I've found such a great and thriving community here. Peace!

When will then be now 3

When will then be now 2

When will then be now 4

When will then be now 5

When will then be now 6

When will then be now
Smithers

Smithers

And, for the help bit. I've got 2 clones that are just about to wk4. The past many days I've noticed old growth yellowing. I have been keeping outflow at between 800-1100 ppm in FFOF w/25% perlite since flip. Nutrient is only PBP grow, and i've recently started adding 1/8tsp epsom salt to the feeds, strength in has typically been around 300-600ppm to get the said outflow.

Yesterday at the feed, I gave them a heavier feed of about 1000ppm for an outflow on each plant of about 1500ppm to see if they would green up. Today I stripped off the dying leaves and have a wait and see game going. Next feed will be maybe Monday, and I'll be away for the weekend. I'm curious if my reaction and under-feeding hunch is correct, I fear also I could be locked out but I really don't think I've over done the juice. Any ideas welcome, thanks! And again, SO looking forward to being open and active on this site for real now.

I sortof also got really carried away with over-training these two. I'm learning still, hard to keep my hands off them!

IMG 4108

IMG 4118

IMG 4119

This is what I cut off, all faded, dried up.
IMG 4115

Smithers

Smithers

I checked on them this morning. Looks about the same shade of yellow on older leaves, not getting worse but hasn't greened up either. Both plants have the same issue, same severity. Wait and see approach is working out, next watering is likely Tuesday. The previous pictures were a bit disorganized, and from the past. Current state moving forward:

IMG 4146

IMG 4145

New growth looks pretty good to me, so I think I just undershot the plants needs? The seed plant was clawing and burned tips at any runnoff over 1200ppm, so I'm surprised these show such light colors. They did veg several weeks longer... Week 4 starts today. Here's a bud closeup:

IMG 4137

And I think my clones are really looking good so far. I've had success with 4/5 so far from my first seed.

IMG 4155

I hope y'all have a good weekend! I'm headed to VT to see the folks with the new kiddo.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Looking a bit hungry. I'm sure someone will pop in to help get things sorted. I'll check back after work just a bit busy.

Smithers

Smithers

Looking a bit hungry. I'm sure someone will pop in to help get things sorted. I'll check back after work just a bit busy.

Thanks for the reassurance. I think that’s the problem too, and I will plan to hit them with another strong feed at next watering. How high is too high for a feed to correct under feeding? I’m watering about every 4 days right now, seed plant was drinking more at this stage as I recall. I have all my feed notes I can post after the weekend. Thanks for the comment 😀

Smithers

Smithers

What media and nutrients are you using?

Pure blend pro grow only. FFOF + 25% perlite in 3 gal fabric pots. Starting 2 weeks ago Ive been adding 1/8tsp/gal epsom salt.

I’ve been letting my tap water sit out for a few days. PPM of tap is 25. I’ve mixed in water from a local spring people bottle water from to get the mix at about 150. The spring water is about 350 PPM out of the hose. I haven’t tested Ph of either source, that’s on my to do list

Smithers

Smithers

Returning to the room, I've found what looks to be continued hunger after increasing the feed on 4/22. I didn't go strong enough, so I increased it again today. I think I'm still underfeeding.

Since beginning flower on 3/27, feed schedule (with about 10-20% runoff) has been:
3/27: fed 550, out 1650
3/31: watered, out 1080
4/4: fed 250, out 1100
4/7: fed 280, out 1250
4/10: watered, out 850
4/13: fed 400, out 995
4/17: fed 440, out 1000 ** I noticed the yellowing after this feed. I spent 4/10-4/17 sick with a sinus infection, absolutely affected my judgement here.
4/22: fed 850, out 1550
4/26: fed 1300, out 2020

Pictures of today, they haven't greened up any in my opinion. But I'll see what happens over the next few days. Next watering is probably Fri/Sat, so until then I wait.

IMG 4172

IMG 4167

Clones are chugging along steady.
IMG 4158

Last edited:
Smithers

Smithers

I dont have enough experience to answer your grow questions, but damn I want one of those microscopes and stands you have, that thing is bad ass.

Yeah, I like the scope, it’s by Brunel. Currently I have lenses for 20x. What’s holding it is called a C-Stand, from the film and motion picture industry. They are amazing at holding anything with some sand bags on the feet for ballast.

Smithers

Smithers

I gotta get better at lighting and picture taking, but I love looking at things up close.

I got the Brunel bee keeping set (MX1B Stereo, and SP22) and their books and educational slide set when I started doing dissection and trying to keep my tens of thousands of buzzing pets alive. They always all died, it was the worst hobby emotionally, so up and down. I bought new queens and boxes every year for a while and it just never worked out. Mostly I have used the microscopes for removing splinters and stoning out on moss and fractals.

210D5C3C 92B1 429A 854C 67A8CDD5DA5D

Smithers

Smithers

Looks about the same 32 hours after my 2020 runoff feed. Up close some of the new leaves look like they have slightly burned or whiter tips, but overall the old growth is yellowing and being consumed. Still looks starving? I switched to city water only for the past few feeds, letting it sit out a few days before use.

My last grow went so well, that I didn't really have to correct anything, so it will be very interesting to see how this plays out. It's my first problem! cool! And, the stakes are low because it's all personal and for experience and experimentation. I just need to limp them along for the next 4 to 6 weeks.

Last time (first plant) I used the exact same method, nutes and water, but germinated a reg seed, which I've been cloning. 2 days ago I reduced my temperature from 80F to 76F in case they were stressing at that, and my Humidity from about 55% down to 47% on my Inkbird controllers.

Here is some pictures from this afternoon, and a few dying leaves close up. Also, I transplanted my clones from solos to 1 gallons! At least they're still fine 😀

IMG 4207

IMG 4212

IMG 4182

So far so good on these ladies!

IMG 4215

Smithers

Smithers

I get a lot of satisfaction from re-potting. Such great weather this week also! I got some good gardening outside done.

IMG 4200

IMG 4202

IMG 4199

Smithers

Smithers

At next lights on, yellowing seems the same or only slightly worse. I thought 2000+ ppm outflow was WAY WAY too high on my last plant.

Next watering is 1-2 days away, my current plan is to feed very strong again, shooting for ppm outflow of 2000-3000, which I guess my input would be around 1000 ppm.

I’ve about doubled the nutrient available in the soil over a week and have seen only a slowing down of the damage. To anyone who reads this, any ideas or input on my reactions thus far?

Is 3000 ppm runoff way too strong? Seems way too strong.

mimos4boss

mimos4boss

take that tray and put it on the floor for growing two at a time you can possibly scrogg them at the height they are only veg not flowering and get double maybe even triple the amount in the same grow space after they are re that height before flower give it a go you an make a scroog net from just about anything from wires to string to cable ties

mimos4boss

mimos4boss

take that tray and put it on the floor for growing two at a time you can possibly scrogg them at the height they are only veg not flowering and get double maybe even triple the amount in the same grow space after they are re that height before flower give it a go you an make a scroog net from just about anything from wires to string to cable ties
i know this does not help with what yoou asked but you need to go bigger plants are asking for more nutrients give them double what you gave last feeding shoould turn to normal in 2 to 3 days if not just keep giving them that till there try's start going amber then cut away

mimos4boss

mimos4boss

and sometimes when in flowering some plants are just lighter leafed then others in flower as because of the buds pulling a ton of the nutrients to beef up it happens do not worry and also give 2 days drying before cutting it giving it 48 hours to get more try's

Smithers

Smithers

i know this does not help with what yoou asked but you need to go bigger plants are asking for more nutrients give them double what you gave last feeding shoould turn to normal in 2 to 3 days if not just keep giving them that till there try's start going amber then cut away

Yeah, I’ve been sort of timid about feeding, I think it’s time to dump it on. I have a few more days to observe. But yeah, last time I didn’t veg this long - new to indoor grow entirely. Thanks for the replies

mimos4boss

mimos4boss

try dimming your lights and de-chlorinating your water and see what that helps with i am also new indoor and to growing but here are mine in second week veg lst'd and topped in first week so these get 5 weeks veg as on is not being counted due to my topping and as can tell in first image i could not get 10 litre pots anywhere so used a 2 gallon fab i borrow to get 8 litres of soil second pots i found in a back street so nabbed them and washed them out for impurities but looking good should start shooting up very soon in my 2x2x4/5

Day 1 veg
Veg day 9 2

Latest posts

Top Bottom