Which curing jars are best?

• Thread starter Potanist
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Potanist

Potanist

Has anyone ever poked a few holes on top of the jar and let it cure with a little bit a constant air?

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
No not a good idea it will let moisture back in to you drying curing crop , big ass glass jars with screw top lids then you burp once or twice a day open up the jar for a minute or two let out the gasses the seal it back up and put back in the dark . Regards OD

a4twenty

a4twenty

depending on where you store the jars.....

in a normal house, i would suggest the opposite, poking holes will allow your buds to dry out too much, stopping the curing process and development of flavours, leaving you with a harsher smoke.

jar size and type comes down to preference, i like using standard 1 L/qt jars as they are the perfect size for 1oz and just enough airspace. they also make a great long term storage jar, so you only need to open a small batch as needed while the others remain sealed, keeping your buds safe for years.

JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
Anybody ever used the vacum jars for storing after curing is finished and stable around the RH 62% mark, you can get lids for Mason jars that allow you to suck out air and create a vacum.

Doodles

Doodles

Anybody ever used the vacum jars for storing after curing is finished and stable around the RH 62% mark, you can get lids for Mason jars that allow you to suck out air and create a vacum.

Hi JSH, I use the coffeevac canister which is made by a company called Tightvac. Tightvac bills them as "the ultimate vacuum sealed coffee container" and I think they're great. Of course, it's another expense to consider. I asked for them for my birthday and my kid came through.

HipsterDoodus

HipsterDoodus

I don't think it would work unless you could control the temperature and relative humidity of the ambient air.

Has anyone ever poked a few holes on top of the jar and let it cure with a little bit a constant air?

I use regular lids and the Food Saver attachment. I don't have a vacuum sealer with a port, so I use a brake bleeder tool to create the vacuum.

Anybody ever used the vacuum jars for storing after curing is finished and stable around the RH 62% mark, you can get lids for Mason jars that allow you to suck out air and create a vacuum.

beluga

beluga

Just straight Ball Mason jars with their metal lid/ring with the rubber seal.
I've done weight experiments with dried mushrooms (much more susceptible to moisture exposure) between zip-locks, vacuum sealed plastic bags, glass jars with polypropylene lids, and glass jars with metal lids and the glass jar/metal lid was the clear winner.

Vacuum-sealed bags were actually the worst in terms of allowing moisture to be gained.

I did not try vacuum-sealed jars, but, I would guess because they have the vacuum port, they're compromising the integrity of the seal.

Edit: this is pretty irrelevant now that I'm actually reading the OP. But.. it's here for you if you want the information.
I would think what's best is what's the most consistent... and burping a jar that keeps a stable environment seems, to me, the most consistent and surefire way to achieve a desired result.

Last edited:
a4twenty

a4twenty

if you've managed cure your buds and maintain 62% +/-, you're there and can store them away in a cool dark place for years with little to no maintenance. I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't vacuum seal, just there really isn't a need to.

i just finished the last of my gorilla glue that i harvested in December 2018 and still have a jar of OG that i harvested in march 2018. when you open a jar you have to pry the lid off and they pop as if they were vacuum sealed. the buds continue to cure for months getting smoother and developing their flavour.

Top Bottom