Which growing method to use?

• Thread starter jaypru369
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Indiva710

Indiva710

Check out the bucket company alot more efficient than rdwc..And 1x a week that's gna be quite a bit of work that's for sure in that 1 day and it's gna cost to automate everything that's for sure....And rdwc would pry get out of hand too actually ...I have the bucket company and I use growstones and recirculate..Also perfect ph maybe something you would like to check out too as it will keep your ph stable and will fluctuate at a certain range only so it would be great for it...And u will pry need a few large reservoirs too esp in flower ...

Indiva710

Indiva710

Thing w rdwc as if u have a leak your sol that's for sure and uses lots of water and nutes and it would cost the most to setup and do it right...The bucket co you can do hydro, Coco ,soil ,aero or anything you want it's a killer system and build it to your needs hoses or PVC or both or w e

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

where can i find the good examples of coco setups? I just went over HB's RDWC setup and it looks fairly simple and he shows you how to set it all up and what you need which is pretty cool and sounds doable.

Im not so worried about building and as much as i am maintaining and growing correctly.

what do you mean by how i intend to grow?

I understand i will be spending a lot since i dont really have much equipment.

I have a window to vent out of. However its on the first floor in an apt building so im actually a little worried about that. i could vent out into the rest of the apt since i wont be living there. theres a walk in closet i can utilize to keep the rez outside, but i was fully ready to get a chiller.
I'm just doing an autofeed and drain coco system now. Sealed room and fully environmentally controlled. There are many good grow diary with all sorts of systems. Maybe peak through and see what fits ya best. RDWC will give slightly fast growth but you have a system leak and its not a small amount of water. Also suggest for any auto system moisture emergency shut off sensors like for hit water tanks that atleast alarm to let ya know.

R

redshift75

Which one of the two will give me a higher success rate for first grow with it? im seeing alot of conflicting opinions. i cant tell which one will be less work thoughout the grow. i wont be able to be there daily unless i see problems from environmental monitor.
My take on it is very simple and a little less confusing. There is no wrong answer. Choose whatever one you are most comfortable with attempting and feel you have the most ability to do successfully. No one person can answer what you are capable of attempting. but yourself until you attempt it... At least in the philosophical sense.

if i look at grow method A and B i look at the complete grow list. every thing im going to need and want as a price break down. Then if i can afford both. I suggest looking at both methods. If you can only do 'X' method with your time and it Requires 'Y'. That is not the grow for you by default. So if you have to water it every day and can only water once a week. You would choose the method that you know your schedule and you are most comfortable with trying to attempt.

Best thing one can do is write it all up on paper. Almost like a business plan. What you want, What you have and can do, how you can get there. Build that roadmap with goals. I need $$$ to start with a minimum of 'fill in the blank' equipment.

What method is usually dictated by your budget. Thats not to say you cant start shooting for the top 1 small scale run at a time. No matter what you choose it has the potential to have failures. you will experience failures, it happens. So success is more something that comes with time no matter the method. Cause we all may read a situation wrong for our plants. Failure isnt always your fault - is a good thing to remember. Sometimes things happen that are completely out of your control and all we can do is respond.

My opinion is one shouldnt look at it as the potential to succeed or fail. Simply because every route no matter what you choose has the potential to lead you down that path to the same goal. Thus the reason why it breaks down to what you feel you are most comfortable to achieve. Dont let us tell you what you can do. The confidence in what you are doing and believing you know what you are doing will go further than me suggesting either method in terms of success. With every method comes a list of things to avoid doing to limit your potential to failure. Thats all succeeding is, doing everything you shouldnt do to fail. (more philisophical sense 😅)

seeing your responses. I'm confident whatever you choose and with the help if/when you need it for guidance and reassurance from THC farmer will help you build the road map to success.

but no matter what you choose there is no "ronco showtime"-esque "set it and forget it grow" in my opinion. They will always take some level of oversight and regular maintenance to always maintain "optimum". Some methods are less hands on, but require more controls, initial cost, etc. So there are always tradeoffs to factor.

we were all overwhelmed with information when we started. But some day you will sit back and laugh at how simple it all ended up being.

If you follow anyone of some of these people who've responded grow journals. You will be fine!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

My take on it is very simple and a little less confusing. There is no wrong answer. Choose whatever one you are most comfortable with attempting and feel you have the most ability to do successfully. No one person can answer what you are capable of attempting. but yourself until you attempt it... At least in the philosophical sense.

if i look at grow method A and B i look at the complete grow list. every thing im going to need and want as a price break down. Then if i can afford both. I suggest looking at both methods. If you can only do 'X' method with your time and it Requires 'Y'. That is not the grow for you by default. So if you have to water it every day and can only water once a week. You would choose the method that you know your schedule and you are most comfortable with trying to attempt.

Best thing one can do is write it all up on paper. Almost like a business plan. What you want, What you have and can do, how you can get there. Build that roadmap with goals. I need $$$ to start with a minimum of 'fill in the blank' equipment.

What method is usually dictated by your budget. Thats not to say you cant start shooting for the top 1 small scale run at a time. No matter what you choose it has the potential to have failures. you will experience failures, it happens. So success is more something that comes with time no matter the method. Cause we all may read a situation wrong for our plants. Failure isnt always your fault - is a good thing to remember. Sometimes things happen that are completely out of your control and all we can do is respond.

My opinion is one shouldnt look at it as the potential to succeed or fail. Simply because every route no matter what you choose has the potential to lead you down that path to the same goal. Thus the reason why it breaks down to what you feel you are most comfortable to achieve. Dont let us tell you what you can do. The confidence in what you are doing and believing you know what you are doing will go further than me suggesting either method in terms of success. With every method comes a list of things to avoid doing to limit your potential to failure. Thats all succeeding is, doing everything you shouldnt do to fail. (more philisophical sense 😅)

seeing your responses. I'm confident whatever you choose and with the help if/when you need it for guidance and reassurance from THC farmer will help you build the road map to success.

but no matter what you choose there is no "ronco showtime"-esque "set it and forget it grow" in my opinion. They will always take some level of oversight and regular maintenance to always maintain "optimum". Some methods are less hands on, but require more controls, initial cost, etc. So there are always tradeoffs to factor.

we were all overwhelmed with information when we started. But some day you will sit back and laugh at how simple it all ended up being.

If you follow anyone of some of these people who've responded grow journals. You will be fine!
100% and very well said.

jaypru369

jaypru369

I'm just doing an autofeed and drain coco system now. Sealed room and fully environmentally controlled. There are many good grow diary with all sorts of systems. Maybe peak through and see what fits ya best. RDWC will give slightly fast growth but you have a system leak and its not a small amount of water. Also suggest for any auto system moisture emergency shut off sensors like for hit water tanks that atleast alarm to let ya know.
How often do you have to tend to your system? I don't have a problem tending the grow but the grow will be a minimum two-hour drive away and if i can build a system i only have to really go up there once a week would be amazing but not always to case i understand. I can certainly do two days a week easily. I am leaning towards coco grow because it seems like maybe an easier system to get up and running and maybe fewer chances of catostrophic failure, i could be wrong though.

jaypru369

jaypru369

thank you very much, really appreciate this reply. Yeah at first the information scattered around by everyone is a bit overwhelming right now.

a good business write up plan is a great idea and what im going to do now, now to just to find good information for that

Not trying to spend the most but dont also have to be the cheapest, this grow will only be utilized once maybe twice, so im just trying to get the most out of it first go around.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

How often do you have to tend to your system? I don't have a problem tending the grow but the grow will be a minimum two-hour drive away and if i can build a system i only have to really go up there once a week would be amazing but not always to case i understand. I can certainly do two days a week easily. I am leaning towards coco grow because it seems like maybe an easier system to get up and running and maybe fewer chances of catostrophic failure, i could be wrong though.
Well right now my plants are seedlings although I look daily I dont do anything. A 25gal res will last me about 4 days feeding 24 plants in 1 gal coco pots but all I need to do is change the res size to go as long as I want. I have my autofeed on a timer and dehumidifier drain to my autodrain condensate pump for the table so I never have to empty that either.

If i was running like 6 plants like normal that res would last me like 3 weeks at this stage.

I use Ac, heat, dehumidifier and a humidifier all on inkbird controllers. Co2 with an autopilot controller. Condensate pump is run to a drain.

This is the thread. You can see someone else near the end building the same kind of setup. And there are many ways to do this.

R

redshift75

thank you very much, really appreciate this reply. Yeah at first the information scattered around by everyone is a bit overwhelming right now.

a good business write up plan is a great idea and what im going to do now, now to just to find good information for that

Not trying to spend the most but dont also have to be the cheapest, this grow will only be utilized once maybe twice, so im just trying to get the most out of it first go around.

Dont think of it so much as a "business plan" that sounds way too formal. Unless you are starting a business. Then you can set yourself up to have great records. Which depending on legality can be really good or really bad. Either way encryption and keys are your best friend for all files. pick a book and 12x sha 256 your files. (but thats a whole nother level of discussion for opsec so you can disregard).

Think of it like a building project. you dont want to build a shed and get half way and run out of money. So you figure out what type of shed you can do. So really take your $$$ amount and just make your list. Just base it off a simple goal. For me its "im allowed 12 plants so whats the best way for me to grow 12 plants". So i start at there and then figured out how to hit there. I ended up spending 4x my original budget.

When you do a list get everything. You want to hang your lights with YoYo's put it on the list. You need a ph meter or unsure, Add it on the list assuming you will. you should always leave yourself some room if you have a hard number. i can only do $1200 and not a penny more. Then you dont want to spend exactly $1200. What if you get fungis and need to order some $20 chemical.

When i say like a business plan. What i mean is we see people all the time. Best tent, best fan, best seeds. No money left over for a light... SO i would say Start with the Space size. The amount of plants. Prioritize the lights mostly. Work your way back.

Even if you use it once or twice you can store the equipment, sell it off. But then i would take the minimal approach if we are talking throw away grows. Id probably go just lights, fans/filters depending on smell requirements. Random big lights no tents. and pretty much clone @Aqua Man setup with a larger rez. Or some sort of table eb & flow system. Which I'm considering myself in the future.

Alot of scattered information. But honestly I believe 9 out of 10 times your budget will be the best indicator for the path to start. Think if each year you can dedicate $1200 You start soil get your good lights, fan. Then next capital injection you reinvest in your ability to scale to auto drip coco. Sky is the limit. But honestly You will find the small stuff ends up costing you more than the big stuff. Not that lots of that stuff is truly needed just super nice to have. its a weed. You could probably get away with alot and go straight gorilla style.

IDK what your budget is, etc. So its hard for me to out right say the best method.

Man if i had to pick a different route to go. IDK where id start. But i know it would involve a pot, soil, a few seeds and a light! I dont envy the person starting.

Last edited by a moderator:
jaypru369

jaypru369

Well right now my plants are seedlings although I look daily I dont do anything. A 25gal res will last me about 4 days feeding 24 plants in 1 gal coco pots but all I need to do is change the res size to go as long as I want. I have my autofeed on a timer and dehumidifier drain to my autodrain condensate pump for the table so I never have to empty that either.

If i was running like 6 plants like normal that res would last me like 3 weeks at this stage.

I use Ac, heat, dehumidifier and a humidifier all on inkbird controllers. Co2 with an autopilot controller. Condensate pump is run to a drain.

This is the thread. You can see someone else near the end building the same kind of setup. And there are many ways to do this.

is coco coir easier for a beginner to grow with over RDWC?

So youre setup waters by itself from a res and all you have to do is make sure you have enough water in the res?

Is there any PH'ing to do with coco?

Last edited:
R

redshift75

I forgot to mention wireless cameras can be your friend for monitoring. Just have to be careful with the lights on them. Nothing a piece of duct tape doesnt solve.

jaypru369

jaypru369

I forgot to mention wireless cameras can be your friend for monitoring. Just have to be careful with the lights on them. Nothing a piece of duct tape doesnt solve.
yeah i didnt mean like a whole ass business plan but a rough estimate of everything and compare the two methods. i know most the basic items for RDWC. I know nothing about coco though. Thing is also im having trouble finding the equipment or setup needed for both that would allow me the most free time or automating the systems.

I was already planning on cameras around the whole place👍

jaypru369

jaypru369

i come to understand that RDWC can have a higher rate of failure if not done right or montiored correctly and caught soon enough, is this true or easy ways to mitigate most issues? What are the main issues for a beignner with RDWC and COCO? and is there less issues to be had with coco or not really?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

yeah i didnt mean like a whole ass business plan but a rough estimate of everything and compare the two methods. i know most the basic items for RDWC. I know nothing about coco though. Thing is also im having trouble finding the equipment or setup needed for both that would allow me the most free time or automating the systems.

I was already planning on cameras around the whole place👍
I can do some links here for you. Will the room be sealed and co2 supplemented or are you exchanging air?

Also LED OR HID (such as HPS, CMH, MH)?

jaypru369

jaypru369

I can do some links here for you. Will the room be sealed and co2 supplemented or are you exchanging air?

Also LED OR HID (such as HPS, CMH, MH)?
exchanging air, it has a window and a door to the rest of the place i can utilize for more air if i dont use the window.

I am going with LED, already got the supplier ready i will get from, think its the girl everyone uses here from alibaba just waiting to see how many plants i will grow to get those.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

exchanging air, it has a window and a door to the rest of the place i can utilize for more air if i dont use the window.

I am going with LED, already got the supplier ready i will get from, think its the girl everyone uses here from alibaba just waiting to see how many plants i will grow to get those.
Sounds like kingbrite to me.

10x10 room?

R

redshift75

I've been going with these people https://yuanhui-led.en.alibaba.com/ cant say enough good things. i had a light damaged in transit. they just sent me a whole new unit with everything but a driver. I ended up buying a single panel to replace damaged panel and a driver basically got a light for 1/4 price. cant say enough good things. i think every time ive purchased been cheaper than the other ali seller.

Ive spent about 5k with them this year. Sold off most the lights never had a complaint from anyone i sold any too. Kept not quite half for myself. I didnt try kingbrite but we all know they are just as good. Just throwing out a 2nd option who has done right by me.

jaypru369

jaypru369

I've been going with these people https://yuanhui-led.en.alibaba.com/ cant say enough good things. i had a light damaged in transit. they just sent me a whole new unit with everything but a driver. I ended up buying a single panel to replace damaged panel and a driver basically got a light for 1/4 price. cant say enough good things. i think every time ive purchased been cheaper than the other ali seller.

Ive spent about 5k with them this year. Sold off most the lights never had a complaint from anyone i sold any too. Kept not quite half for myself. I didnt try kingbrite but we all know they are just as good. Just throwing out a 2nd option who has done right by me.
actually i think these are the sellers im going with lol but thank you. they are cheaper than kingbrite.

Top Bottom