Which One Would You Up-pot?

• Thread starter MGRox
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MGRox

MGRox

I was curious as to what everyone considers the right plant size to up-pot, so I setup a sampling of some plants all in identical containers. I hope the pic turns out well enough on here, but if not; I can split them up into a couple pics. I labeled each plant for ease and also there's a tape measure on the far right (top of measure is 24" above container top).

So........which one would YOU pick as the optimum time to up-pot?

Some details that may help or be required here too; shown containers are 1 Liter in volume. When blooming, each 3 plants has approximately a 1' x 4' space (e.g. 1' x 1'-4" per).

Also, if your inclined; given the space per container, what size would you up-pot to?

I've played around with several of these sizes over the years and I'm interested to see what sizes get picked here xD.
Potting heightjpg

MGRox

MGRox

7gallon pots for all of them.

Thanks! I'll have to see if I can fit 7 gallon containers in the 1'x1-4" space they have xD

Question. So you would up-pot all of these sizes then?

Everyone else please feel free to suggest which one of those is ready to up-pot.

Dunge

Dunge

Gotta throw the three gallon option in here.
They fit your space, smd I find they get the job done just fine.
And if you use air pots, 3 gallon might be even better.

What are your height limitations?
You will need to consider topping (topping to clone perhaps) and thinning the lower veg eventually, as not much light is going to make it down there once the canopy fills in.
The way I have come to think of pruning is this: If the lower veg has a future as part of a clone, it stays. Anything else gets cut as early as practical in as effort to prevent plant resources going into building structures that will eventually be trashed. Anticipating this will allow those resources to be put into veg your garden needs.

I'm a big fan of photo analysis.
Your efforts at annotating are admirable.
Nice looking plants too.

MGRox

MGRox

Thank you also for your reply and kind words!

For height, I have about 48" max and still allow for light spacing; which is a bit more than the penetration of the 600's I suppose. For the most part over the years, I've used lowers to mids for cuts; but also kept a mom. This year I've been doing some cut to cut instead. I've mostly done single mainstems also in the past; though I have cropping on my list.

I'm also curious about which of those plants shown that everyone would consider the "optimal size" to up-pot to these larger containers? Which letter would you guys (or anyone else) pick as the appropriate size here. This is something I've just picked on my own over the years and don't really know what most would consider the correct size. I'm pretty sure that most would consider G and F to be overly large for the 1 liter?

straincreation

straincreation

Thank you also for your reply and kind words!

For height, I have about 48" max and still allow for light spacing; which is a bit more than the penetration of the 600's I suppose. For the most part over the years, I've used lowers to mids for cuts; but also kept a mom. This year I've been doing some cut to cut instead. I've mostly done single mainstems also in the past; though I have cropping on my list.

I'm also curious about which of those plants shown that everyone would consider the "optimal size" to up-pot to these larger containers? Which letter would you guys (or anyone else) pick as the appropriate size here. This is something I've just picked on my own over the years and don't really know what most would consider the correct size. I'm pretty sure that most would consider G and F to be overly large for the 1 liter?
ok so are you planning on repotting in airpot? If so i see no need to go any bigger than a 1 gallon i just ran a plant in a 2.5 liter and she perfomed well. My mom is in an airpot, has been since march. she has given me 100's of clones already and isnt showing any sign of slowing. I feel that these airpots really put in work. Its a whole other variable when dealing with these airpots.

My opinion on which to transplant id say top and train all OF B threw G, and transplant. Id say if unsure try multiple and log the results. Live and learn, especially with these airpots still not as much discussion on them that i would like. But here is my mom couple weeks ago. She is about 2 1/2 3ft tall shorter after she was topped.
20141115_212925-jpg.459822
BOL! Let us know what you decide on.
Happy farmin;)

MGRox

MGRox

First @Natural sorry to have confused. The total space is 4x8. Each set of 3 occupies the full 4' width but only 1' of linear distance. Perpetual

@straincreation
Thank you for your response, insight and great shot of the mom there! In the past I'd always just ran normal pots, but did test 12",10",8" and 6" along with 5 tops, 3 tops and single tops. This was back when I first started though, so 2003-4. At that time, I ended up with 8" and single stems as the multiples tended to occupy more overall space. I do plan on testing this a bit more too.

Now, this year; I've been trying the airpots and agree there could be more conversation with them. They can be a PITA to handwater for sure, but do seem to allow a plant to be in a given size much longer. Recently though, I've been wondering about a few things related to the different root structure with these too.

So, atm I do also have the 3 liter airpots for the larger size, though I am going to play with some 3 gallons( as was sugggested.)

gotcha on train and transplant. To be clear, you would start to transplant at B? I wonder if I should maybe skip the 1 liter stage all together, as the plant A above has been in that pot ( after cloner) for about 4 days xD.

Thanks again for all the input and suggestions from everyone, I really do appreciate it.

straincreation

straincreation

1. Yes b and up i believe.
2. Imo i would not skip the 1 liter. IME i find that having that extra pot in between your finishing and starting size, will allow you to ween iut any bad eggs. Without wasing your soil.
I personally found that if you spray your top soil in the airpot. It breaks the water more, so they arent pissing everywhere so much. Also found that my waterings were more freuqent with the AP so I preffer my standard 2 gal pot For my finish. just keeps everything a bit more uniform. I only had one plant in AP this harvest. Results were fine just didnt enjoy having to make up a batch of nutes inbetween watering just for this lady. She also finished a bit faster than the others.
Hope this helps
happy farmin;)

simonkay

simonkay

Sorry to be so late to the conversation but can any one advise if it's good to bottom feed airpots? Thinking of buying 1st time and would love some help on the best watering technique

Latest posts

Top Bottom