Which Spectrum ?

• Thread starter LEDhead
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LEDhead

LEDhead

Which one of these spectrums would get me all the way through an entire grow, seed to harvest?

http://i133.invalid.com/albums/q69/odogg_mia/34715f06.jpg

http://i133.invalid.com/albums/q69/odogg_mia/20747dc1.jpg

P

paulycali

Both but i would go with the 1st pic

Blue for vegging

Red for flowering

LEDhead

LEDhead

The two colors are Deep Purple and Magenta
So you'd go with the more blue ratio rather than the one with the higher red ratio

S

SSC

What are the nm? Also what brand of LED's? The reason why I ask is most of them out there are rated at a certain NM but they say they PEAK at whatever number they give. When they say PEAK I can almost 99.9% guarantee you thats not what you going to get out of it. Example, if they say "We use 1 watt LED's with 660 nm red's" You would need to drive that 1 watt LED at 100% power or more to maybe achieve 660 nm. If any LEd Is driven that hard then you shorten the life of the bulb dramaticly!! Then on the other hand, if you have a 3 watt LED and they drive it at 50% power then you will get the life out of it but you will get no where close to a 660 nm! From my research its all about finding the right product using the right LED's. The best I found is a light that uses semi opto-conductor LED's!!

LEDhead

LEDhead

LEFT: H350 Deep Purple RIGHT: H150 Purple
http://i133.invalid.com/albums/q69/odogg_mia/235ff012.jpg

S

SSC

Hmmmmm. I looked that light up and they dont give any info on what brand of LED's they are using and what wavelength they are targeting? They also say they are using different types of LED's in the one fixture? What does that mean? It seems they are of the scale with the color. Magenta? Do some homework on photosynthesis and chlorophyll and you will look that plants need a DEEP RED for flowering. Also that light talks about how bright it is. Brightness is referred to Lumens. Plants dont see Lumens. Plants use NM!! So IMO people are getting confused with LED's thinking brighter is better (for penatration power) because we are used to the HID lights because of how bright they are. LED is a different ball game! I have pics of a plants that used a LED light with 1 watt semi opto-conductors and the very bottom of the plant is extremly green! So that is telling you that (penetration power) isnt how bright your light is but if it is giving off the correct wavelength!

LEDhead

LEDhead

I've noticed that so I emailed them to get more info on them :)

LEDhead

LEDhead

Found out Kessil light don't use Cree or any of the other 3 major led companies, they use DiCon LED and a good thermal management that keeps the chip cool here's some of what I found and what they told me

Why so many LED grow lights mention “CREE”?
Here is a bit background. In the LED world, there are 4 top suppliers. Cree in US, Osram in Germany, Nachia in Japan, and Lumiled/Philips (used to be a US company till bought by Philips a few years ago). These 4 companies make the brightest LED chips and best package LED light cells. They represent quality. Behind these 4 companies, there are a lot of manufactures in China, Korea, and Taiwan. Some of them are chasing the standards and advancements set by these 4 companies.

When someone says, “ CREE LED used”, the implication is, “my product is very good, because I pick the best material out there in the market.” This is a trick many lighting fixture manufactures use to create the “perception” that their product is top quality.
Let me try to use an example to explain what I mean. For those of us who remember the 80’ Desktop PC revolution, there were so many desk top PC brands or shops out there during that era. Anyone can open a computer store or start a PC brand. “Big Mama PC”, “Uncle Joe Computer”, “Superman Technology”…. they all sell desk top PC. And what did many of them claim? Intel CPU used. (Intel 286, 386, 486, 586, Pentium I, II.III….) The patented phrase “Intel Inside” was a popular phrase.

Does having an Intel CPU make the computer great? Not necessarily. Now we know that besides a good CPU, you need to have enough memory chips (and clocking at the right speed), you need to have good graphics cards so your computer games looks good on the monitor, you need to have a fast network card so you can watch the video on the net, and you need a good motherboard to pull everything together, and you need ……. You get my point. When Desktop PC first became popular, many consumers were fooled by the “Intel Inside” label and not knowing the rest of the computer system needs be up to the scale for the PC to perform. Many vendors take advantage of the situation and make profits out of it. Forward 15 years. All those mom and pop brands are gone. With enough education, consumers know what to look for. In today’s market, people go for the few well established brands, like HP, Dell, Toshiba, Apple.

LED lighting market is going through the similar struggle. “CREE inside” does not guarantee the quality of the product. LED chips are like the CPU, but for a light fixture to perform well, there is more to just the LED. Is the thermal system being properly designed so the “CREE LED” will last as long as it should? Is the electronics for the LED driver the highest grade? If not, the board can burn out quickly. Is the power supply well built, if not, you are not going to get a good energy efficiency. Is the optics being reviewed, so the light is not trapped somewhere and get lost in the system. For the LED grow light we are interested, is the Spectrum of the correct one. Not all the red lights are the same. There is a lot to be considered… However, most consumers at this point do not have the knowledge to understand all that and many vendors are taking advantage of that by pasting the “CREE” or “OSRAM” or “Philips” or “Nachia” names all over and claiming outrageous growth results.

The Kessil H350 is called that because it's equaled to a 350w HID

S

SSC

Found out Kessil light don't use Cree or any of the other 3 major led companies, they use DiCon LED and a good thermal management that keeps the chip cool here's some of what I found and what they told me

Here is a bit background. In the LED world, there are 4 top suppliers. Cree in US, Osram in Germany, Nachia in Japan, and Lumiled/Philips (used to be a US company till bought by Philips a few years ago). These 4 companies make the brightest LED chips and best package LED light cells. They represent quality. Behind these 4 companies, there are a lot of manufactures in China, Korea, and Taiwan. Some of them are chasing the standards and advancements set by these 4 companies.

When someone says, “ CREE LED used”, the implication is, “my product is very good, because I pick the best material out there in the market.” This is a trick many lighting fixture manufactures use to create the “perception” that their product is top quality.
Let me try to use an example to explain what I mean. For those of us who remember the 80’ Desktop PC revolution, there were so many desk top PC brands or shops out there during that era. Anyone can open a computer store or start a PC brand. “Big Mama PC”, “Uncle Joe Computer”, “Superman Technology”…. they all sell desk top PC. And what did many of them claim? Intel CPU used. (Intel 286, 386, 486, 586, Pentium I, II.III….) The patented phrase “Intel Inside” was a popular phrase.

Does having an Intel CPU make the computer great? Not necessarily. Now we know that besides a good CPU, you need to have enough memory chips (and clocking at the right speed), you need to have good graphics cards so your computer games looks good on the monitor, you need to have a fast network card so you can watch the video on the net, and you need a good motherboard to pull everything together, and you need ……. You get my point. When Desktop PC first became popular, many consumers were fooled by the “Intel Inside” label and not knowing the rest of the computer system needs be up to the scale for the PC to perform. Many vendors take advantage of the situation and make profits out of it. Forward 15 years. All those mom and pop brands are gone. With enough education, consumers know what to look for. In today’s market, people go for the few well established brands, like HP, Dell, Toshiba, Apple.

LED lighting market is going through the similar struggle. “CREE inside” does not guarantee the quality of the product. LED chips are like the CPU, but for a light fixture to perform well, there is more to just the LED. Is the thermal system being properly designed so the “CREE LED” will last as long as it should? Is the electronics for the LED driver the highest grade? If not, the board can burn out quickly. Is the power supply well built, if not, you are not going to get a good energy efficiency. Is the optics being reviewed, so the light is not trapped somewhere and get lost in the system. For the LED grow light we are interested, is the Spectrum of the correct one. Not all the red lights are the same. There is a lot to be considered… However, most consumers at this point do not have the knowledge to understand all that and many vendors are taking advantage of that by pasting the “CREE” or “OSRAM” or “Philips” or “Nachia” names all over and claiming outrageous growth results.

The Kessil H350 is called that because it's equaled to a 350w HID[/QUO

OK. Not bad. Did you write this up or is this straight from that comapany? This is where I have done my homework. First off, I dont know how much those lights are but they say it will do a 2x2 area. That is very small and I would believe it would be hard for it to really do that once the plant got large. So to do a large area you would need a bunch of those suckers!
Now, when they talk about these other brands of LED's you have to be careful of what they are telling you. I have researched this to dealth and have also contacted these manufactures directly. First off, do you know who supplies Cree with other of their products? Osram does! Osram is also world wide company. Just one of their plants is in Germany but their main one is right here in the US! Also Osram just bought out Sylvania or merged with them. One of those two. So my point is that I did see that that light was just introduced in April. So I am sure there is no sample grows yet. I have never heard of that LED company they say makes their LED's. Bottom line, it sounds to be a good product but the only draw back is that it would take lots of them to grow many plants.
Myself, I am not only looking for the best product out there but also one that has the most coverage! If you get some let me know how they do!!

LEDhead

LEDhead

It from the company Facebook page Spectral Halo it's a copy and paste :) but I did get 4 deep purples do you think that will do 1-2 plants in a 4x4 tent

S

SSC

It from the company Facebook page Spectral Halo it's a copy and paste :) but I did get 4 deep purples do you think that will do 1-2 plants in a 4x4 tent

Wow cool! That many lights should do that just find. I am interested to see how that purple does? Once you get things set up can you take some pics? I would like to know and see what your final grow s like too! Also, how much are those lights?

R

recreationaluse

The Kessil H350 is called that because it's equaled to a 350w HID[/QUO

OK. Not bad. Did you write this up or is this straight from that comapany? This is where I have done my homework. First off, I dont know how much those lights are but they say it will do a 2x2 area. That is very small and I would believe it would be hard for it to really do that once the plant got large. So to do a large area you would need a bunch of those suckers!
Now, when they talk about these other brands of LED's you have to be careful of what they are telling you. I have researched this to dealth and have also contacted these manufactures directly. First off, do you know who supplies Cree with other of their products? Osram does! Osram is also world wide company. Just one of their plants is in Germany but their main one is right here in the US! Also Osram just bought out Sylvania or merged with them. One of those two. So my point is that I did see that that light was just introduced in April. So I am sure there is no sample grows yet. I have never heard of that LED company they say makes their LED's. Bottom line, it sounds to be a good product but the only draw back is that it would take lots of them to grow many plants.
Myself, I am not only looking for the best product out there but also one that has the most coverage! If you get some let me know how they do!!
i also agee w ssc. and on a side note when i bought a hp toshiba dell or apple they would last. buy a acer, emachine, or some other crap and see how well it does for you.

LEDhead

LEDhead

I'm an Apple guy never owned anything else so I wouldn't know other machines

LEDhead

LEDhead

So tomorrow's the day I choose my spectrum so out of the two choices of Deep Purple and Magenta
Was thinking 4 Deep Purples but if the magentas are better spectrum I'll go with that

J

Jrock

So tomorrow's the day I choose my spectrum so out of the two choices of Deep Purple and Magenta
Was thinking 4 Deep Purples but if the magentas are better spectrum I'll go with that

Dude Let me know what you end up going with. I am been going back and forth between getting 4 of the purples or magentas. I am looking for a lighting spectrum that i can use the scrog method from veg to flower. Have you found any good info out there? I've been checking but since it so new its hard to find much

LEDhead

LEDhead

I ended up going with 4 magentas :) they are ok to be honest on the C130 the lights are a little far apart but I'm only going to use with a ScrOG during flower I had started a journal with them in veg but I didn't like growth so I switched to MH thinking it would be better but it's about the same only difference is the temps are a bit cooler with the HID

BrandonBlack

BrandonBlack

Their lights have no white light. Throw some white light in your grow room and you will see a big change.

Top Bottom