White Powdery Mildew Milk+Water Treatment Won't Wash Off

• Thread starter Enn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

Enn

I had the beginnings of white powdery mildew on my outdoor potted plant, just a couple of weeks before she's ready for harvest. So I sprayed her down with a 40:60 milk/water mix. Which almost every site recommended. I was wary of using non-organic fungicides since I would be smoking it and didn't think smoking fungicide would be very good for you. It was only one 4 foot tall potted plant (first time growing successfully without animals eating i =D) so I only used about 300ml. Just enough basically to cover it all in a fine coating. It worked great. It rained maybe 6-12 hours after I applied the mixture. So I sprayed it with another 300ml or so. Making very careful each time to spray the flowers and using the squirt function to squirt the mixture into the flowers and soak it in as deep as possible. Visible mold is one thing, but I was/am really worried about the spores, too. Especially the health effects associated with inhaling fungal spores. So I wanted to be as thorough as possible.

It's a few days later now. The mildew has cleared up beautifully. But now my plant is covered in a sticky film of dried up milk water, which the hornets seem to love, btw. And for some reason, no amount of water seems to wash it off. When it rained after I applied it the first time, I even noticed there was still some milk on the leaves when I went to re-apply it. Even though it was a full on torrential downpour. I've also hosed it off with a good amount of water for 5-10 minutes twice and still there's residue all over it. And that was with fairly high pressure. I don't want to blast the poor girl and risk damaging/stripping off the trichomes. I already feel bad about having to use as much pressure as I did.

I'm at a loss as to how I could go about cleaning this stuff off of my plant/flowers before it turns into its own mold problem. Not to mention I'm not crazy about the idea of smoking sour milk lol. I guess I could cook with it. Which is what I was planning anyways. But I'm not even sure the decarbing/cooking process would be enough heat to make it safe to eat if it had mold/sour milk all in it. And I don't imagine it would produce a very good tasting product.

So I'm wondering how I should go about cleaning this stuff off. I guess I could just keep spraying it with water from the hose, but again I'm worried that might strip the trichomes off of it or otherwise damage them. They seem to be delicate structures. OR I'm thinking maybe physically wash the flowers with water by just dunking them in a bucket of water or something like that before I hang them up to dry. But I would be concerned that the excessive moisture from that would cause mold growth. Even with good airflow. I'm really not sure how to approach this.
I've looked at some other related posts to treating White Powedry Mildew with this milk/water mix and the closest issue I could find was one post where the plant looked like it was getting mold on it from the milk. It was more of a spotty pattern, where mine is clearly just dried up milk (for now).

Has anybody else had this issue when using milk+water for their plant? If so, I'd love to know what you did about it, if anything. Or how things wound up.

beluga

beluga

I'm guessing you did not use skim milk and I have to assume there is milk fat left over and you will need something that will dissolve fats.

Look into Cervantes' Bud Washing
Here's the first hit on a google search.

If your plan is to cook with them, I suppose it wouldn't be necessary, but it can sour.

For future battles with PM, try Southern Ag's Garden Friendly Fungicide. Or a similar product with Bacillus amyloliquefaciens - employ the aide of the microbial world.

R

RKint

I had the beginnings of white powdery mildew on my outdoor potted plant, just a couple of weeks before she's ready for harvest. So I sprayed her down with a 40:60 milk/water mix. Which almost every site recommended. I was wary of using non-organic fungicides since I would be smoking it and didn't think smoking fungicide would be very good for you. It was only one 4 foot tall potted plant (first time growing successfully without animals eating i =D) so I only used about 300ml. Just enough basically to cover it all in a fine coating. It worked great. It rained maybe 6-12 hours after I applied the mixture. So I sprayed it with another 300ml or so. Making very careful each time to spray the flowers and using the squirt function to squirt the mixture into the flowers and soak it in as deep as possible. Visible mold is one thing, but I was/am really worried about the spores, too. Especially the health effects associated with inhaling fungal spores. So I wanted to be as thorough as possible.

It's a few days later now. The mildew has cleared up beautifully. But now my plant is covered in a sticky film of dried up milk water, which the hornets seem to love, btw. And for some reason, no amount of water seems to wash it off. When it rained after I applied it the first time, I even noticed there was still some milk on the leaves when I went to re-apply it. Even though it was a full on torrential downpour. I've also hosed it off with a good amount of water for 5-10 minutes twice and still there's residue all over it. And that was with fairly high pressure. I don't want to blast the poor girl and risk damaging/stripping off the trichomes. I already feel bad about having to use as much pressure as I did.

I'm at a loss as to how I could go about cleaning this stuff off of my plant/flowers before it turns into its own mold problem. Not to mention I'm not crazy about the idea of smoking sour milk lol. I guess I could cook with it. Which is what I was planning anyways. But I'm not even sure the decarbing/cooking process would be enough heat to make it safe to eat if it had mold/sour milk all in it. And I don't imagine it would produce a very good tasting product.

So I'm wondering how I should go about cleaning this stuff off. I guess I could just keep spraying it with water from the hose, but again I'm worried that might strip the trichomes off of it or otherwise damage them. They seem to be delicate structures. OR I'm thinking maybe physically wash the flowers with water by just dunking them in a bucket of water or something like that before I hang them up to dry. But I would be concerned that the excessive moisture from that would cause mold growth. Even with good airflow. I'm really not sure how to approach this.
I've looked at some other related posts to treating White Powedry Mildew with this milk/water mix and the closest issue I could find was one post where the plant looked like it was getting mold on it from the milk. It was more of a spotty pattern, where mine is clearly just dried up milk (for now).

Has anybody else had this issue when using milk+water for their plant? If so, I'd love to know what you did about it, if anything. Or how things wound up.
HOCL look it up and spread the word!

R

RKint

I wouldn’t spay anything thing on flowers no matter who said what I’ve seen many posts over the years say spray with x y z “ it’s organic and can be used up till harvest time “ where as the truth is anything you spray on flowers you will be smoking < just because it’s organic doesn’t mean it’s good to smoke.

As said above about the skimmed milk

Even if you don’t intend to smoke it & eat it you definitely need to wash it with water & 5% hydrogen peroxide mix to kill on any fungus let alone cleaning up the milk.
Good luck
The HOCL works better than hydrogen peroxide for a rinse and is safer, does not leave ANYTHING on the flowers to smoke as it weakens into water or evaporates. Its what the human body destroys pathogens with. It kills ALL pathogens/allergens/mold/mildew/spores/fungus/yeast. Look it up ,it is upsold (overpriced) by many 420 vendors these days, and also used by many NW USA commercial growers both indoors and out. Best rinse for hydro systems ever, promotes root development, seed germination........................I get it in 5 gallon pails delivered for 20/gallon at 800 ppm which can be diluted to as little as 50 ppm.

Top Bottom