White Widow Dying

• Thread starter Planter01
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Planter01

Planter01

IDK chit but I've got 5 or 6 White Widows trying to make a go of it and one of them has some major issues. They all had a rough start and are behind schedule but any guesses what the problem is with this under achiever? All subjected to the same conditions.
White widow dying
White widow dying 2
White widow dying 3

KneeDeep34

KneeDeep34

I think it's one of three things. Possibly all three at once.
One, they look over watered.
Two, they look as if the PH of your medium and or water is off.
Three, they look like they are deficent of some nutes while at the same time it has notes of too many nutes.

I would say that reason 1 and 2 is the issue which in turn is causing the 3rd issue I mentioned.

Let the medium dry out and then flush with PH balanced water. Repeat. Then re introduce nutes at a lower strength.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

I would guess too high of a light intensity or heat being you are running COBs that close to the canopy.

Planter01

Planter01

They only get watered when the pots are dry to the touch and they don't get water on any sort of schedule. The water they do get is straight from the koi pond which most of the time gets a bladderwort and Irish moss seaweed tea. The medium is 80% nute less Pro-Mix with mycorrhizae with a bag of grow shop soil to stretch the Pro-Mix a bit. The temps are pretty steady at between 75 and 85 although they have bottomed out at 68 or 69 and spiked to 90.
The Timber Grow 3590's at 4500 are 15 inches off the Canopy which isn't the 18 thats recommended but Timber says it should be an issue but i can push them up a bit. They are only getting nutes at about half strength which has been increased slowly from 20% of what the manufacturer suggests.
I will back off the light a bit and I'll do a good flush. It's possible that the koi pond water has been affected by acid rain which can be a problem around here. Worth checking out.
All of these girls would have gotten the axe the first week or two but I didn't have the beans on hand to start over so I was just going for the ride anyway. I'm really most concerned with the 1 of 5 that has a prob I can't figure considering that they've all been treated the same.
The first couple of pics show the bad girl but what's her gripe with life?
20180218 130106
20180218 125953
20180218 125843
20180218 125843

Planter01

Planter01

I'm not sure of the PH. Can't seem t find my old fashioned testing kit. I plan on taking a water sample to the shop tomorrow so I should know very soon. IDK the PPM either but I've been using less than recommended on the bottle. Right now they have been getting 1.5 tsp per gallon of water but not at every watering which is about half strength.
Lots of great suggestions but why does only one out of eleven have the leaf tips browning and even the appearance of having leaf miners or another pest of some sort. Having this particular problem and with only one makes me think it's a genetic problem or thats she didnt like getting cooked during germination. I did forget that i added both blood and bone meal but they are both so slow on availability I can't imagine that's contributing. She had better smarten up or else. I do have another 8 3590's to put on a frame but I haven't needed to build the frames yet. I pulled the potentiometer which should give me another 10% of usable light. IDK but I'm not stressing quite yet. I don't need the weed and I don't sell it so it'll be fine. I just don't want to have so many probs next time. They have come a long way. There was one sickly Outlaw plant i spared and she's trying HaHa.
20180127 225331

20180218 125805
20180127 225429
KneeDeep34

KneeDeep34

Im confident in my last post that PH is playing a role here... Looks like a nute lock out... Most common way to tell is all that deformed growth.

Planter01

Planter01

I will check out the PH. It may well be a contributing factor. The plant with the deformed new growth in the pic is only 3 weeks from popping which I think is a bit to young for nute lock out especially with the Pro-Mix but I will check the PH.
I have looked at the root ball of the most sickly plant and the roots are a good color and don't have the scent of decomposing plant material. It's nice and sweet smelling like a good compost. Maybe the worst plant is just an anomaly not attributable to any one thing. I'll let you know what the PH is. That could be an easy fix. Thanks.

Planter01

Planter01

20180315 163624
20180315 163647
20180315 163714
They have had a tough go of it but I don't think anyone hit the nail on the head. I'm pretty certain that it goes back to the smoking hot temps during germination. Only 12 out of 60 beans popped and they languished right from the beginning.
I know they were not nute burned because I use nuteless ProMix so I can control what they get when. I'm also pretty certain over watering wasn't a problem. I don't water on a schedule, I go by the feel and weight of my medium. I don't mind a couple drooping fan leaves but I think there are many who let their girls get to dry. It contributes to stress and I don't know of any species of plant that wants to dry out before being watered again. One or two of them did look like they had PH issues but why only 2 out of 12. The PH came in at 6.2 which is close to being ideal. I'll be able to feed my head for months. Longest veg of any grow I've ever had just because they needed more time. Sometimes you can have issues that can't be nailed down. Lots of good ideas but I'll never know conclusively.
20180315 163624
20180315 163647
20180315 163714

I'm just hoping to squeak these thru to harvest w/o anymore probs. The little Cheese above came so close to getting the axe

S

Shawnery

I don't know shit but looks like pH fluctuations to me. which in the end could cause deficiencies

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

They have had a tough go of it but I don't think anyone hit the nail on the head. I'm pretty certain that it goes back to the smoking hot temps during germination. Only 12 out of 60 beans popped and they languished right from the beginning.
I am just going to come out and say it. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard (lately). Germination heating issues that led to plants to look this? All the way from seedling? Take some advice and fix your grow, for one if you don't know the ph of soil and dont ph water, then it's definitely a ph issue. If you don't ph, your plant will look deficient, this is why.
Soil ph chart marijuana

They won't take up any molybdenum below 5.7. This is a soil ph chart not soilless or hydro. Mb was just an example.

S

Shawnery

Two wrongs don't make a right!

It's an oldie but still a goodie.

Everyone needs to just remember that this is supposed to be about helping not judging!

I mean that from both sides of the isle as well. I think overall people mean well and if they come off like Jack asses, not saying anyone did, then just ignore them. Adding more Jack assery to the situation does no one any good.

I would just point out that just because it's right now doesn't mean it's been right all along. I don't just mean that about your grow but that could relate to anyones.

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

That's excellent Zen. That's just what I need.. another Ganja Guru. I've been growing for 45 years so just because you say it doesnt make it the gospel. Just to satisfy my own self doubts I checked the PH of the water going in and going out. It's right about 6.2. I'll tell you what zipperhead when you base all your knowledge of growing on a single species you miss a lot. Chit growing big black beauty eggplants is more difficult that growing weed so don't make it appear as though it's some dark science. If you dont think germinating seeds at 100 plus degrees contributed to the tough start they have your dreaming. I appreciated all the input I got and ruled them out one at a time. In 1980 I was growing Skunk and NL and a Sawazi Hash plant and NOTHING has changed except the imagined complexity. I was under the impression that 6.2 was a reasonable PH value but I'm not the plant whisperer who can definitively diagnose a problem everytime based on a picture and an over inflated view of their own knowledge. This grow is on track and doing just fine. I guess I'm just going to have to come right out and say it... your a moron AND a pompous clown who should probably just take your chart home because you were wrong
Did I hurt your feelings? Why, Because I said that is the dumbest thing I have heard lately? It is. To think that you had germ problems so thats why they are having this hard of a time months later?! 45 yrs didn't teach you much obviously, learning to change with science and the times is what is important, old timer. Anyways enjoy your grow.

S

Shawnery

When is the last time your pen was calibrated? Sorry if you stated this already. I need to set mine every couple weeks at the longest.

Just trying to be of service!

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

Are you feeding in the saucer? Allowing the runoff to collect, and wick up back into the medium?
Oh, and not having a ph meter...well ya didn't have much of a chance

Latest posts

Top Bottom