Who Is Plucking Fan Leaves That Block Bud Sites

• Thread starter Lbgrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tat2420

Tat2420

I trim mine down all the the time. A few leaves every few days. Just to make sure light can break the canopy and reach the lower bud sites.
But, I leave my lower fan leaves, especially a few larger ones to act like solar panels haha and help absorb the light.

Lbgrower

Lbgrower

I posted this I moved a couple of them big fans back that were blocking colas and I'm calling bs on defoliation. The buds that have been hidden from the light are just as big as the ones directly under the light source. Saw a thick bud developing on the main branch with the top cola shaded. Literally four times the size cola developing under the fan leaves of another plant.... so far I'm not convinced

Lbgrower

Lbgrower

I get the idea behind it and have seen some of those YT guys.... I'm super skeptical

Leew421

Leew421

I would say try and it and see if it works for you. Growing is a style and can be done so many ways. I personally super crop and take leaves down in my way while in flower. The main thing that is important is that you remove all the stuff stealing energy.

Lbgrower

Lbgrower

I would say try and it and see if it works for you. Growing is a style and can be done so many ways. I personally super crop and take leaves down in my way while in flower. The main thing that is important is that you remove all the stuff stealing energy.

Nice :) thank you

BudBogart

BudBogart

If the fan leaf is still vibrant, not dying, then it is the solar collector for the plant. The energy collected by the fan leaf enables the buds underneath to put that energy into growth.
I remove fan leaves only if and when they stop doing their job.

Lbgrower

Lbgrower

If the fan leaf is still vibrant, not dying, then it is the solar collector for the plant. The energy collected by the fan leaf enables the buds underneath to put that energy into growth.
I remove fan leaves only if and when they stop doing their job.

Old unhealthy growth goes. All health leaves stay even if they're blocking a bud site.

Lbgrower

Lbgrower

I've been gardening this way since I started. It's really tough for me to remove plant parts.

Tat2420

Tat2420

I would say it's just a growers preference. I have not noticed any change in yield or bud growth. Nor, do I do it after I have flipped. I only defoliate when I feel the light intensity needs to reach farther down below the canopy.
As for what benefit I receive if any I can't say...other than I feel better about it haha

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

I found it too much trouble to sort out unfounded opinions.
Shading buds? That's what wind is for, every part gets light.
Yank yellowing leaves? Please, the plant is draining them of stored nutrients. When those nutrients are truly used up, she forms an abscission layer to conserve sap and protect against disease, then drops them to the ground for their remaining minerals.
Still, there were claims of increased yields.
OK, open mind, I did a side by side with a couple clones.
Carefully followed the consensus opinion from advocates on one and just smiled at her sister.
The natural plant grew larger, healthier, and out yielded the molested plant by ~ 30%
So now, I give a very tiny tug on the old, beat-up fans.
Any resistance, they stay.
If the plant is actually done with them, they almost fall off if you give them dirty looks.. :)
My advice? do your own side by side on all these grower myths.
More than half of them are borderline silly.

Aloha,
Weeze

whitepistols

whitepistols

1 node. Some commercial are striping them clean except the top node. Its not everyone's bag of tricks. There is more to it than 1 time pluck regardless of how hard you go.

Vert guys will strip the main stem and a couple nodes of the branch.

Depends on a lot of things, some will hate it. Miliage varys its really how you apply it because it varys

Top Bottom