Whole Foods your best friend in the war on spider mites

• Thread starter Cloud 99
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JeenYuss

JeenYuss

I too love sns 217 but super expensive. Going to mix up a batch of your posted ingredients and sere what I can come up with. I do have to that the Rosemary is harmless on plants as I sprayed it on 15 day old seedlings before with no damage done.

Reactions: mal
ttystikk

ttystikk

Quick question about rosemary oil; I have a nice sized rosemary plant I keep around for pasta sauce and such- surely I can put a few sprigs in a blender and make something that works like pre-diluted oil? Anyone have thoughts on this, or even better, a recipe?

JeenYuss

JeenYuss

Quick question about rosemary oil; I have a nice sized rosemary plant I keep around for pasta sauce and such- surely I can put a few sprigs in a blender and make something that works like pre-diluted oil? Anyone have thoughts on this, or even better, a recipe?
2 or 3 ounces of the leaves...throw them in a crock pot...pour in olive oil (make sure to cover leaves) cook on medium for 2-3 hours then strain

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

2 or 3 ounces of the leaves...throw them in a crock pot...pour in olive oil (make sure to cover leaves) cook on medium for 2-3 hours then strain

I would maybe use grape seed oil or some other type of veg oil. As I was reading about using olive oil as a surfactant when spraying ACT, it said NOT to bc olive oil is no good for bacteria. If you YouTube rosemary spider mites there's a guy making extract. Doesn't mention dilution rates though. I started to buy a large Rosemary plant, but they don't over winter, grow slow, and I found source for oil that's $25 shipped for a pint.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Thanks for the input- this gives me a starting point. My rosemary plant is in a container that comes inside when freezing weather threatens. Otherwise, it's a pretty hardy little plant, looks nice, smells great and goes well in pasta sauce!

F

Frankensteins Garden

Not sure if anyone mentioned but Mighty Wash works really well.

Couple of other remedies from Ed Rosenthal's Marijuana Grower's Handbook.
Cinnamon / Clove tea can be brewed by using powered cinnamon and cloves. Start by using about an ounce of each per gallon of water. Boil water, remove from heat let stand for two minutes then add the herbs and let brew until the water is cool. Strain and spray.

Sesame oil is toxic to spider mites. Use 1 tablespoon to a quart of water (15 ml per liter). To facilitate the mix add 1 teaspoon (5ml) dry lecithin granules to the water an mix in a blender. Once blended spay is ready to use.

There is another recipe for his zero tolerance but I can't find it at the moment, willtry to find and post it later.
Thx,
Frank

reeldrag

reeldrag

Doc doom works well I wouldnt go closer then 2 weeks but I know people that have and have said you couldnt tell

B

Badmf

If your neem isn't mixed well or you don't shake the bottle often you will get concentrations which will suffucate the stomata, so I rinse with warm ph'd water to remove after it has dried, this opens up the leaves and removes excess residues. Rosemary and neem are contact type pesticides so after drying their job is done. I hit em with DE after the rinse. But preds work best w/o the pesticides as it will kill them too. Use em as soon as you go to bloom cycles. Osh carries em(preds) in a smalll fridge.

D

Daniel Edmondson

Have any of you tried using Predator mites,starting at the very start of you veg period before the mites get out of controle. I use NEOSEIULUS CUCUMERIS MITES IN A in slow release packets $1.99 PACKETS . You hand them in the plants. They come with 300 adults, immatures and eggs. this resident generation usually doesn’t venture out of the bag. Their offspring, however, begin the process of prevention as they start exploring the world outside. they also have quick PACKETS. which you just sprinkle over the plants. You want to mist the plants first and sprinkle them as the plants go into a dark period. They really work but you need to start using them before you see the mites as a preventive measure. You can get them at several place online , but I like GreenMethods.com . They are the only one I have found that have the NEOSEIULUS CUCUMERIS MITES IN A in slow release packets $1.99 PACKETS..They have lots of other Predator insects the sell
I also use Parasitic Nematodes which you water into the ground and the will kill any thing that spends part of it life cycle in the ground which most of the pest do. I think I pay $18.99 they come on a little sponge which I cut up and put section in to water. Then I put the rest of the sponge in referagrator where they will stay alive up to 6 weeks I then use the water that has had the sponge socking in a spray bottle to spray the ground . You need to do this in the dark SUN LIGHT KILLS THEM!!!!!! then water them They you can STOP using the bug sprays that kill every thing. THAT YOUR PROBLEM YOU KILL ALL THE GOOD BUGS THAT KEEP THE POPULATION OF THE MITES, THRIPS AND THE OTHER PEST IN CONTROLE. I ahve not used any sprays in 4 years . I will say the when there are no pest mites the Predator mites feed on flower pollen .

D

Daniel Edmondson

Both NEOSEIULUS CUCUMERIS MITES and the Parasitic Nematodes love to feed on thrips as well as thee 2 spotted mites (which is the most common mite). Some one told me about a product call TRIPLE DEATH which has 3 kinds of Parasitic Nematodes that is really effective , but I have not used it. I think the next time I will try it .

Top Bottom