Whole Foods your best friend in the war on spider mites

• Thread starter Cloud 99
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Cloud 99

first off, whats up everyone hope everythings green.

Now to make this as short as possible.I had noticed the beginning stages of a mite infestation while checking my girls one day.immediately i remembered reading a thread somewhere where the person was talking about a product that they had used to fight them and was pretty happy with it.they said the main active ingredient was Rosemary oil.I began searching online where to find some and eventually came across Whole Foods and decided to stop by.I purchased a half ounce bottle of rosemary essential oil for $4.99 and a 1 ounce bottle of pure Neem seed oil for $11.99 and some organic olive oil goats milk soap for $2.99.
After i got home i checked online to see if i could find some dosage amounts. After finding little i decided to add the whole 15ml of rosemary oil and the whole bottle of neem(30ml)I used a gallon of spring water and blended a couple small slices of soap in blender with 1 Habbinero pepper a 2 cloves of garlic (shouldve used 1).
The hardest part will be getting the neem to blend.
Anyway after mixing for a while i drenched the infected girls right b4 lights out(this stuff reeks. I recommend a doctors mask and rubber gloves).I repeated the next weak (7 days later even though i didnt notice any more after the first spray).
Im happy to say it worked very very well.
not only did it kill the mites but it didnt harm the plant and actually made the leaves shiny and pretty.
(OH i forgot that i set the ph to around 7ish so to also prevent mold and fungus from trying to take advantage of the dampness).
I do have to say that while the mites had done some damage some leaves i was able to catch them pretty early and i know that had a lot to do with my success also.So remember early action is best.
I think that covers it if anyone has any questions feel free to ask of course.
One more thing i have been mite free for over a month now so i think it worked well and all for under $20 bucks and i still have 3/4 gallon left.
Heres one of the former infected still frosty as ever
Holy Grail (Bros Grim c99 x original mikado) from verite/irisheyes
DCAM0075.JPG
DCAM0077.JPG
DCAM0076.JPG

Reactions: mal
homebrew420

homebrew420

Hey great call on this one Cloud I am going to pick up a bottle of the Rosemary oil myself. I use Dr. Bronners peppermint castile soap and neem. LOVE IT. works wonders and it is difficult to burn the plants as well.

L

lil miss lone

I recently noticed the beginning stages of spider mites in veg. I was Also battling the root aphids, which are Waaaaay worse IMVHO. I got into the habit of routine every-three-days medium and foliar drenches of Azatrol and SM-90 (Azamax is the same as Azatrol, and that one is most important). I didn't notice when the mites were gone, like I said I was locked into battle with the aphids, just a couple weeks later realizing that was no longer the problem.
EDIT: I should mention that Azatrol is merely concentrated neem oil, or something like that.

C

Cloud 99

hey homebrew i might try that pepperment soap if i ever need to make more and i might drop the garlic as it stinks to much.ill keep the pepper though

B

Buddy Hemphill

I recently noticed the beginning stages of spider mites in veg. I was Also battling the root aphids, which are Waaaaay worse IMVHO. I got into the habit of routine every-three-days medium and foliar drenches of Azatrol and SM-90 (Azamax is the same as Azatrol, and that one is most important). I didn't notice when the mites were gone, like I said I was locked into battle with the aphids, just a couple weeks later realizing that was no longer the problem.
EDIT: I should mention that Azatrol is merely concentrated neem oil, or something like that.

That shit made me burn the HELL out of some plants. At 1/2 strength...

but I did notice its strain dependent. I have a VERY hardy strain that it smoked. I have a finicky strain that was fine..:shake....

just be careful and hit one for a tester before you jack your whole crop.

T

Tesseract

AzaMax is great! That and fly paper!

For my outdoor summer vegetable garden, I use a garlic and red pepper spray. Add garlic cloves and crushed red pepper into a pot with fresh water and boil for a few. Strain, then put in a jar and into the fridge for saving. Lasts about a month in the fridge. Just add a few tbs. to fresh water in the sprayer and spray the leaves and soil around the plant. Repeat every week or so.

T

J

Jada

Not sure the name of the product I have on order but its a new smoke bomb that you can use during flowering and it wont harm the plant! will post the name of it when I pick it up later this week!

L

lilredwagon

Azamax in the UC

I had been battling a minor-ish infestation of Thrips on my Skunk Haze in an Under Current system from clone stage. They also found themselves home to a nice community of root bound aphids. 10 days ago, I drained the system (120 gallons) and filled it with fresh water, dosed the system for 20% strength (30 oz) of Azamax- and let 'em hunt for 24hrs:hunter:. They consumed a nice 60 gallons of the milky goo, and I have not seen an aphid since. As for the thrips, plenty of dead ones- and the live adults I found were not doing well. Tomorrow they get the follow up treatment.

I have to say, the girls looked very healthy at the end of the treatment, and did not experience any burn. The dosing directions suggested 80% strength for thrips-
Azamax looks like 40wt motor oil- there was no way I was dumping 80oz of that sludge into the system!

So far, dig the product and the results.

aSilvrHaze

aSilvrHaze

i picked up some Dr. Pursifull's organic elixers ".008 Bug Assasin" from my LHS and it worked Great for mites, but I did get them a lil early in the infestation. Totally smells like clove lol

Active ingredients:Eugenol(.52%), sodium lauryl sulfate(.35%), peppermint oil(.15%), citronella oil(.006%).

Inert ingredients(99.109%):deionized water, vinegar, citric acid, glycerin, edible seaweed

homebrew420

homebrew420

Just an fyi, I read an article about neem in an old Growing Edge magizine and it stated that neems' ability to stop the next generation of pests is lessened if not thwarted by the use of high pH surfactants. This was news to me as I generally use neem in conjuction with castile soap. I know the opil still works at smothering the pests, however, it does not seem to do a great job of stopping them. Keeps them under control though. Soapnut was listed as a lower pH surfactant, they sell that at whole foods, or at least detergents containing it.

SOAPNUT!!

Peace

jessejames12345

jessejames12345

Going to RE STATE what another grower said , make sure you test on a few leaves or a clone you dont worry about BURNING THE SH*T out of . I added too much rosemary oil in my formulation , and my god did it do some damage !

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

Going to RE STATE what another grower said , make sure you test on a few leaves or a clone you dont worry about BURNING THE SH*T out of . I added too much rosemary oil in my formulation , and my god did it do some damage !

What was your formula and have you come up with an adjusted formula?

I'd like to mix up a gallon for clone dunking to keep on hand. It would be nice for everyone to post up their recipes & together we can dial in some winners. I love SNS217, but that stuff is WAAAAYY XPNSIVE. Zero Tolerance is nice too, and much cheaper, but doesn't kill eggs. DIY is the bomb.
:character0180:

FYI: here's another great DIY thread

M

mrbong73

You can also use lavender flowers and rosemary leaves as a one, two punch.
Soak both in water for 1-2 days. Strain and spray.
1:30 dilution

M

MIway

I'd like to see Dormant/Hort Oil make a comeback... feel that the SNS & ZT are lesser forms of this practice... not as effective.

1% Hort Oil... constantly agitated (or it will oil burn in concentration)... applied in neutral temps w the lights off for a few... smothers & kills the eggs/adults... just have to get 100% coverage.

A 16oz concentrate will make 10gal for under 20 or 10 bucks. Fertilome & HiYield are the generics one can find at most any HD/Lowes/nursery.

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

That shit made me burn the HELL out of some plants. At 1/2 strength...

but I did notice its strain dependent. I have a VERY hardy strain that it smoked. I have a finicky strain that was fine..:shake....

just be careful and hit one for a tester before you jack your whole crop.

What was your formula and have you come up with an adjusted formula?

I'd like to mix up a gallon for clone dunking to keep on hand. It would be nice for everyone to post up their recipes & together we can dial in some winners. I love SNS217, but that stuff is WAAAAYY XPNSIVE. Zero Tolerance is nice too, and much cheaper, but doesn't kill eggs. DIY is the bomb.
:character0180:

FYI: here's another great DIY thread

I think you guys need to re read the person you all are quoting. Theyre talking about using Azamax/Azatrol. But if anyone got a dialed in amount on how much rosemary essential oil to use, that would be helpful. The original poster said 15mL/gal. I read on another forum 10mL. Also, just want to make sure we are all talking about ESSENTIAL oil. I know this threads old, but its not very conclusive either.

Bousky

Bousky

This post is so I can find this thread if I ever need it. Thanks for the great ideas!

PEPE LaPUE

PEPE LaPUE

Not sure the name of the product I have on order but its a new smoke bomb that you can use during flowering and it wont harm the plant! will post the name of it when I pick it up later this week!
wat was the name of that bomb im in week 5 of flowering and webbs just popped up .. wat should ido?

Top Bottom