Whole plant hung vs cut buds rack drying

• Thread starter YnoTony
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
YnoTony

YnoTony

I did this last year too. I cut the whole tree and hung dried Plant and I also cut fresh buds of cleaned and rack dried other plants.the hung plants look exactly same as when cut. The ones I cut just the buds off all the hairs turn red and buds darker.completly different look. Anyone else this happen too?and what do you think the reason is?

IMG 20211002 111830
IMG 20211002 111900
IMG 20211012 111010 778
IMG 20211012 111015 375
IMG 20211012 101209 880
IMG 20211012 101220 719
IMG 20211012 101248 701
IMG 20211012 111024 477
IMG 20211012 111024 477
IMG 20211012 111022 873
IMG 20211012 111019 195
IMG 20211012 111022 873
_VLAD_

_VLAD_

All depends on your drying location/amount and generally just if you want to do it or not.

I only have small runs and I still hang entire plant to dry, from what Ive read it helps slow the dry which helps flavor and smell. This last run I only dried 4 or 5 days and it seems just fine in the jars so who knows.

I really worried about this before this last run, not worrying about it anymore

Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

I don't know the science well enough to know the nature of the differences, but I would automatically suspect these would be different? In one instance the bud is cut off from everything and left with whatever is in the bud. In the other the bud is still connected to a large circulation system that even when cut will allow transportable nutrients to flow through to the buds based on transpiration suction as moisture leaves the extremities. Keen to hear how it works exactly from one of the gurus.

freezeland2

freezeland2

I suspect that is what made the difference. I don’t like dry trimming because it takes to long. I have read one of the advantages of dry trimming is a better retention of the flavor and aroma. Perhaps appearance is another.

elduderito

elduderito

I feel dry trimming preserves and protects the buds/trichomes ... anything to slow down the drying process is a plus for me!

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I always hung whole plant, then dry trimmed. Then I got a rack for cut buds and wet trimmed. Today I hang the whole plant and dry trim.

I gave it a shot, whole plant hanging works best for me. I like dry trim, because it's easier and slows the drying time.

Something in the original post caught my eye: The ones I cut just the buds off all the hairs turn red and buds darker.completly different look.

Was this an outdoor grow, where mother nature dictated the harvest time? All the hairs are red before I chop, indoors.

growsince79

growsince79

I suspect that is what made the difference. I don’t like dry trimming because it takes to long. I have read one of the advantages of dry trimming is a better retention of the flavor and aroma. Perhaps appearance is another.
For me dry trimming is 10 times faster. No clippers needed. Fingers only. I can't imagine having to wet trim half a pound.

Growinginil

Growinginil

I always do whole plant, have for years. Trim the fan leaves wet a d everything else later. I think it helps keep things better
Ahhh the drying curing process. I have tried all the different methods and take into consideration the relevant humidity when I dry. The drying process is controlled by temp and rh. The more leaves and branches you leave attached the slower the drying process will take, no matter what the temp and humidity is at the time. I like to pull big fan leaves before I let the buds dry. Whole plant works well in this way as it gives a nice slow dry, especially if humidity in low.

freezeland2

freezeland2

For me dry trimming is 10 times faster. No clippers needed. Fingers only. I can't imagine having to wet trim half a pound.
I use trimmers. When there are dry leaves around the buds it’s harder to get the trimmer under them and snip their stems. I damage more buds trying to use fingers to snap all the leaves off. Everyone has there own way for what works for them.

growsince79

growsince79

I use trimmers. When there are dry leaves around the buds it’s harder to get the trimmer under them and snip their stems. I damage more buds trying to use fingers to snap all the leaves off. Everyone has there own way for what works for them.
If the leaves are dry enough, they break right off. Sounds like you need to wait another day or two. Once you figure it out you won't want to wet trim. Gotta find the sweet spot.

Madmax

Madmax

If the leaves are dry enough, they break right off. Sounds like you need to wait another day or two. Once you figure it out you won't want to wet trim. Gotta find the sweet spot.
I agree with that 100% i wet trim because of the small area i have. If i had heaps of room id def hang ..like growsince said you gotta find the G spot..i mean the sweet spot 😀

Kapal

Kapal

The ones I cut just the buds off all the hairs turn red and buds darker.completly different look.

and what do you think the reason is?

Drying the whole plant is slowing the metabolism and oxidation process.
Seperating the buds with no or less stems will speed up oxidation.

All natural products contain bioactive ingredients, that will change at time,
some faster, some slower.
Temperature and oxidation are the prime contributors to the natural darken process.

A change of color is not a compromise in quality, only a natural chemical reaction.

Latest posts

Top Bottom