Why are my outdoor plants flowering at solstice?!?!

• Thread starter Nate828
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

Nate828

I have a bunch of Venom OG's outdoors in 200gal pots. They get plenty of sunlight, well over 12 hours. Yet, the started spitting out hairs about one week ago and I can't figure out why. It's the only strain doing it and prior to flowering they were showing deformed newer growth... then the hairs. Now they're giving me 3 finger leaves. The color is nice and they're happy when the sun comes up each morning but... flowering.... near summer solstice. So weird.
I'm in Northern California where we just came out of a pretty brutal heat wave. The garden had to cope with approx 100 degree temps a few days in a row but weather like this is nothing new to me and I've never seen it throw a plant into flower. Also, the three other strains are fine. It's just the Venom.
I've hit a few of them with Nitrogen to no avail. I'm reluctant to continue this because the soil blend that they're in is pretty nutrient dense. They really shouldn't be hungry for Nitrogen. I'm currently brewing a giant batch of Compost Tea that I'll apply tomorrow but I'm not super optimistic that it's going to solve this particular problem.
Any thoughts?!?

Why are my outdoor plants flowering at solstice
Why are my outdoor plants flowering at solstice 2
Why are my outdoor plants flowering at solstice 3
Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Over cast? Outside with even 14hrs means squat if there is a marine layer blocking out 6hrs of potential light. I’m in marina ca and I have this very issue with indica dominant strains . I actually put out a few leds, spot lights To compensate for the lack of light most days, it’s not enough to do much other then stop the depletion of the hormone auxin( which is why plants flower due to lower/time/ light change). Heave feed em with 20/20/20, (basically miracle grow) to keep em nitrogen rich and hopeful reversal of flower, but I do suggest direct more then 13hrs of light is indeed key.

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

where did the seeds come from

popular strain

possible autos got mined in

if not what mr jack said

N

Nate828

Over cast? Outside with even 14hrs means squat if there is a marine layer blocking out 6hrs of potential light. I’m in marina ca and I have this very issue with indica dominant strains . I actually put out a few leds, spot lights To compensate for the lack of light most days, it’s not enough to do much other then stop the depletion of the hormone auxin( which is why plants flower due to lower/time/ light change). Heave feed em with 20/20/20, (basically miracle grow) to keep em nitrogen rich and hopeful reversal of flower, but I do suggest direct more then 13hrs of light is indeed key.
It hasn’t been overcast. It’s been sunny and dry.

Madmax

Madmax

So roughly they are bout a month and abit early? Im in aust and our summer sol is dec 26 ..ive had some start about a fortnight earlier jan 14 but normally around the 6th feb..just thinking has the heat brought it on through stress..maybe..pretty wierd with the 3 finger leaves ..id shoot the seed comp a mess and tell them whats happened.b interesting to see what they say..

Pirat3

Pirat3

Sometimes plants go into flower if they got stressed when you moved them outside if you did them indoor, going from 18/6 to 12 -14 hours has caused me premature flowering before. I fix it by bringing them back into my tent inside for 18/6 earlier this year in may, and topping the heck out of them. Unsure if this helps.

Rooke

Rooke

I have a bunch of Venom OG's outdoors in 200gal pots. They get plenty of sunlight, well over 12 hours. Yet, the started spitting out hairs about one week ago and I can't figure out why. It's the only strain doing it and prior to flowering they were showing deformed newer growth... then the hairs. Now they're giving me 3 finger leaves. The color is nice and they're happy when the sun comes up each morning but... flowering.... near summer solstice. So weird.
I'm in Northern California where we just came out of a pretty brutal heat wave. The garden had to cope with approx 100 degree temps a few days in a row but weather like this is nothing new to me and I've never seen it throw a plant into flower. Also, the three other strains are fine. It's just the Venom.
I've hit a few of them with Nitrogen to no avail. I'm reluctant to continue this because the soil blend that they're in is pretty nutrient dense. They really shouldn't be hungry for Nitrogen. I'm currently brewing a giant batch of Compost Tea that I'll apply tomorrow but I'm not super optimistic that it's going to solve this particular problem.
Any thoughts?!?
heya Nate I’m just curious as to how old were your plants when you put them outside? I wonder if there is some correlation as to the sexual maturity/ age of plants when you put them outside. I used to start my plants inside and bring them to about 8 to nine weeks then put them outside. When I did this I had plants go to flower on me even if I kept my light schedule around sunrise and sunset. I’m no expert by no means but since then I’ve been only taking them to about 4-5 weeks before putting them outside and I haven’t had this happen since. I raised them all from seed and matched my lights to the sunrise sunset table for my area all through raising them to the last week of May. It does make for slower growth at first and they are behind in growth compared to other growers but better safe than sorry but I’m sure genetics play a role in this as well. Sorry to ramble on I’m stoned. Hope you can get your girls sorted out. peace bro!

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Shoot bad genetics if they are from seed, I run clones.

Top Bottom