Why are my plants acting like they’ve been topped?

• Thread starter codypendant
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
codypendant

codypendant

Strain is “Glueberry OG” feminized, from Dutch Passion. These beans popped on July 31, after barely 24 hours! I am using Fox Farms Ocean Forest and California Super Soil mixed with a 1 inch layer of California Super Soil Hot soil about 2/3 of the way down. Lights are 2x Flexstar 120w, running at 50% in a 2x4 tent running at 18/6 at about 24” from the canopy. . Cheap lights but they are using LM301h diodes.
My question is all 4 plants are growing like they have been topped since they sprouted. I wasn’t planning on topping these, only LST but I guess these had different plans lol. Anyone ever seen this before?

Last edited:
josefrahl

josefrahl

Why the internodal growth? The few times I grew back in the day, I don’t remember internodal growth happening until after the plant was topped.
The side branches will slowly grow if you don't top. They just get sped up trying to become the dominant cola during LST or topping. They're always there though. I know some strains are better done as a single cola because the side stem growth is so slow it almost like stunting them if trained. I don't know of any that don't naturally grow side branches. Maybe you had ones like that so it just never really stuck in your head that they were growing before. Or that's just one of the memories that went up in smoke. 😆

Your plants look great though.

codypendant

codypendant

The side branches will slowly grow if you don't top. They just get sped up trying to become the dominant cola during LST or topping. They're always there though. I know some strains are better done as a single cola because the side stem growth is so slow it almost like stunting them if trained. I don't know of any that don't naturally grow side branches. Maybe you had ones like that so it just never really stuck in your head that they were growing before. Or that's just one of the memories that went up in smoke. 😆

Your plants look great though.
Thank you. Yeah man, it’s been 30 years ago lol. Lots of smoke since then! 💨💨💨
The genetics are quite different from 30 years ago it seems.

codypendant

codypendant

That tent is only 5ft high so I’m going to probably only go another 2 weeks and possibly flip them then. We will reassess in 2 weeks.

Habosabin

Habosabin

Why the internodal growth? The few times I grew back in the day, I don’t remember internodal growth happening until after the plant was topped.
Genetics and bluer lights can have shorter stature. 24 hour schedule can keep them shorter I read.

Top Bottom