Why are my seedlings deforming? Stress?

• Thread starter CosmoGrows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
hey guys, i keep getting seedlings that end up looking like the one down below. And its an auto flower at the end of week 1. i feel like im behind already, and i always get this problem as a seeling, am i watering to much for a seedling?

Meh, my camera flash kinda ruined the pic and i just noticed,either way, its just my leaves deforming,it happens on like 75% of my seedlings?

Why are my seedlings deforming stress
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

hey guys, i keep getting seedlings that end up looking like the one down below. And its an auto flower at the end of week 1. i feel like im behind already, and i always get this problem as a seeling, am i watering to much for a seedling?

Meh, my camera flash kinda ruined the pic and i just noticed,either way, its just my leaves deforming,it happens on like 75% of my seedlings?
I'm gonna say low humidity but need more info.

Forgive me but I forget the media and parameters.

Temps?
Humidity?
Media?
Nutrients added if any?

I would advise starting in a rapid rooter, peat pellet or rockwool

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

To be honest they don't look bad. Seedlings can be temperamental and they usually grow out of most issues. It's a fine line with the tiny root systems with nutrients and water. They contain enough nutrients in the seeds for about a week. I find humidity is really the only thing that you need to adjust. Stay off the nutes and don't over water... That's it.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yeah big pots are tough for starting seedlings in. I like 2x2" small nursery pots for seedlings until they have a good set of roots before transplanting into their final container. It's just easier to control the wet dry cycle and keeping the pots dry around the outside for the first few days encourages root exploration. That would apply to autos also. I get with autos you dont want to transplant much, but you should still start the seedlings in a small container until they have at least a loose rootball. Then into their final container.

I use those small pots for clones too, but with seedlings I keep them in there until they have 2-3 sets of true leaves.
20190911 205541

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
I'm gonna say low humidity but need more info.

Forgive me but I forget the media and parameters.

Temps?
Humidity?
Media?
Nutrients added if any?

I would advise starting in a rapid rooter, peat pellet or rockwool

Sorry, im an idiot, i should have posted these in the first place, and i know better. LOL.

So, its a northern lights autoflower. Running 72-77 degrees.
Constant 40-47% humidity. maybe thats why? I have them in with other plants, hence why the humidity is a little lower.
This one is in FFOF.
No nutes yet.

Yeah big pots are tough for starting seedlings in. I like 2x2" small nursery pots for seedlings until they have a good set of roots before transplanting into their final container. It's just easier to control the wet dry cycle and keeping the pots dry around the outside for the first few days encourages root exploration. That would apply to autos also. I get with autos you dont want to transplant much, but you should still start the seedlings in a small container until they have at least a loose rootball. Then into their final container.

AHHHHH, Okay! See i was trying to avoid any type of transplanting. I figured thats how i was supposed to do it. But shit if i can start them out in a smaller pot, hell yeah, it makes it easier for me. 2x2, thanks for the dimensions!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Sorry, im an idiot, i should have posted these in the first place, and i know better. LOL.

Constant 40-47% humidity. maybe thats why? I have them in with other plants, hence why the humidity is a little lower.
This one is in FFOF.
No nutes yet.

AHHHHH, Okay! See i was trying to avoid any type of transplanting. I figured thats how i was supposed to do it. But shit if i can start them out in a smaller pot, hell yeah, it makes it easier for me. 2x2, thanks for the dimensions!
I would say definitely it's the low humidity. But it's not likely to kill them or anything. Your basically putting a lot of stress on a small root system increasing transpiration. Those conditions are well suited to later flowering conditions. I'm just gonna post a vid that's gives a good explanation of high VPD.

I'm gonna sit down and write something on VPD this week with links and all those goodies for VPD. It's not as simple as those online charts but I have seen a lot of posts lately that would benefit from this info.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

To give you an idea seadling should be about 0.4-0.8 kpa later flowering should be about 1.3-1.5kpa

Guessing your leaf temp will be about 2-3f cooler your sitting at a difference of about 1.7kpa.

To boot your in prefertilized soil so your only means of regulation for nutrient up take is humidity. If that was just coco perlite you could feed lower nutes and it would help alleviate some stress but not all

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

One last thing to add. If you swap to rapid rooters, jiffy pellets or rockwool cubes. They contain minimal to no nutrients so that's one way around it until transplant

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
How about tips to not overwater seedlings? This is just straight pissing me off now really. its not an exciting experiment anymore because theres literally no happy medium, you feel like theres no figuring it out... I had 4 drips come out of the bottom of the pot and the plant is showing signs of being overwatered. ill post a picture in a second when the phone is charged.

So as im sitting here straight pissed off because these stupid plants just dont like water. i re-read this, how far along would the 2x2 nursey pots take them? i have like a 2 inch tall seedling in a 1 gallon, watering till runoff, thats probably why im overwatering?

Aqua, did read your comments about VPD,ive been learning tons about that the past couple days. checking out the vid now, well appreciated.

Moshmen

Moshmen

This one is in FFOF.
No nutes yet.
I don’t think DB realized they were autos ? But I would not transplant an autoflower! Takes to long to recover. My 2 cents other than that yes humidity is off I’ve done the same thing and they seem to make it just fine.

Moshmen

Moshmen

How about tips to not overwater seedlings? This is just straight pissing me off now really. its not an exciting experiment anymore because theres literally no happy medium, you feel like theres no figuring it out... I had 4 drips come out of the bottom of the pot and the plant is showing signs of being overwatered. ill post a picture in a second when the phone is charged.

So as im sitting here straight pissed off because these stupid plants just dont like water. i re-read this, how far along would the 2x2 nursey pots take them? i have like a 2 inch tall seedling in a 1 gallon, watering till runoff, thats probably why im overwatering?

Aqua, did read your comments about VPD,ive been learning tons about that the past couple days. checking out the vid now, well appreciated.

I measure mine in ounces . Took. Few times to get it right but better to under water than overwater ! Weight of s dry container vs a wet container .

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
I measure mine in ounces . Took. Few times to get it right but better to under water than overwater ! Weight of s dry container vs a wet container .

I did the weight thing,and i felt the difference, idk. frustrating. if youre only giving youre seedling ounces, im definitely giving my seedlings to much

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I did the weight thing,and i felt the difference, idk. frustrating. if youre only giving youre seedling ounces, im definitely giving my seedlings to much
Another trick is to water your media atleast 24 hrs before planting into it. this allows it to evenly saturate and partially dry before putting you seedling in. Then it should be good for atleast several days depending on media.

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
about roughly how many ozs are u giving your seedlings?

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
Another trick is to water your media atleast 24 hrs before planting into it. this allows it to evenly saturate and partially dry before putting you seedling in. Then it should be good for atleast several days depending on media.
I did, it went about 6 days and then i didnt want to underwater it so i watered it, and now shes droopy as fuck. light is about to go off, ill let do the night cycle and come back and see how she looks in the morning. Almost every plant no mater how much water you give, gives droopy signs right after, i dont understand, this isnt normal right?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I did, it went about 6 days and then i didnt want to underwater it so i watered it, and now shes droopy as fuck. light is about to go off, ill let do the night cycle and come back and see how she looks in the morning. Almost every plant no mater how much water you give, gives droopy signs right after, i dont understand, this isnt normal right?
well like i was talking about VPD. You water and increase the root pressure then have high VPD pressure. its just stress then the plants has some trouble respiring. Seedling are little bitches but they will grow out of this and a bigger root systems fixes most of the issues so don't over stress to much about it.

look at the leaves right before or at lights on... look for tiny water droplets on the leaf edges. I betting your gonna see some.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

also you will know under watering immediately... the stems and leaves will droop super hard and you will shit your pants compared to over watering. But with under watering they will perk back up very fast when watered. Its better to under water than over water. They recover waaaay faster. I suggest honestly not watering again until you see it. Then adjust watering from there then you will learn it fast. if you keep over watering out of fear of under watering you will never get the feel for it.

Also water first thing in the morning or at lights on. Not at night if you are

Last edited:
Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

I ma also of the opinion that Ocean Forest is just too hot for young plants. I would suggest trying Happy Frog the next time around. I find it to be very forgiving on young plants and their root zone.

Top Bottom