Why aren't all digital ballasts squarewave? Analog is sinewave, right?

• Thread starter Flexnerb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Digital is squarewave

Analog is sine wave

Why arent all digital ballasts squarewave

Please explain why

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Electronic ballasts are set to a high frequency to fire standard single or de hid bulbs.

low frequency or square wave ballasts are set to fire the new 315 cmh bulbs made with hotter gasses and a more stable running frequency. The new 2 rod base is supposed to help with stability as well.

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Electronic ballasts are set to a high frequency to fire standard single or de hid bulbs.

low frequency or square wave ballasts are set to fire the new 315 cmh bulbs made with hotter gasses and a more stable running frequency. The new 2 rod base is supposed to help with stability as well.
I got the platinum series hortilux running a hortilux daylight blue halide. Its squarewave running a non cmh bulb. It must be built differently to run their proprietary halide and hps bulbs?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I got the platinum series hortilux running a hortilux daylight blue halide. Its squarewave running a non cmh bulb. It must be built differently to run their proprietary halide and hps bulbs?

i thought the gold ballast was for mh and hps. But i dont really know. I do use their super hps bulbs mostly. I vegged with a 600w blue last plants.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

weird they say the super hps and blue mh are designed to run on this from ansi specs.

but now only sell the silver for that.

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

weird they say the super hps and blue mh are designed to run on this from ansi specs.

but now only sell the silver for that.
Not a bad price. Its roughly what i paid. Not sure about the last three on the market in the usa....theres a few sites that have them. Not many though

I think the silver series is cheaper to build. When these plat ballast came out they wanted like 750 to 1k for them!! Spendy af....silvers can be had for 290....the gold series is the high frequency sine wave type. Plats came out after them. It might have been a market test. Lotta people were having the cable company stop by unannounced lol...kind of scary...they would be getting high freq interference...maybe that had something to do with it too. I know some ballasts early on didnt have the rf shielding in them, now they all do i believe

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom