Why Aren't Undercurrents More Popular?

• Thread starter Highatollah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Highatollah

This forum seems much less used than 4 years ago, but why? One would think that there are more people growing now than then and that more would see the benefits to using an UnderCurrent.

Is it just too difficult for most people to keep their levels in check?

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

I think cost stops most, along with fear of hydro. I personally have only grown hydro. Dwc and rdwc but never undercurrent. I'll make a system someday.

slimjimham

slimjimham

I'm running exact clones of these systems (their lids/ manifolds. Bought same pumps and filter) basically bought the same buckets not from them and drilled holes to save 400... Could have just bought their uniseals but the manifolds were reasonable.

Anyways theirs a big learning curve. I'm staying to get things dialed in guy all have a little ways to go... Really wish I could justify a digital nutrient reader to take it to the next level but I think they're like $3k

Know exactly how much of what element they are taking up at what rates... Then be able to give the exact amount of calmag to a/b ratio... Also be able to tell when things get out of the proper desired ratios.

Does anyone have one of these meters?

Anyways, lots can go wrong, can lose plants overnight if uneducated on the subject (never happened to me)

Once dialed in she's easier to maintain in my opinion!

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

How do you lose a plant over night? I can't wait to build my system. Got a few different designs I'm thinking about. With my dwc it's not undercurrent by any means but I guarantee my water flow in my 10gal plant bucket is comparable. I'm just ready for a system I don't have to touch for a 10-14 days between nute changes.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

Almost every big time grower I've known with a water-based system has failed; soiless systems can handle a far wider spectrum of variables than undercurrent or dwc systems as well as exponentially less maintenance/equipment to replace or monitor. I've gotten lots of advice on how to build a badass undercurrent or NFT or flood/drain, all from people who have since switched to coco for the stability ease and reliability.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

And it's not high maintenance if Yuri have your shit dialed in. I've grown dwc/rdwc for going on 6 years without a major root issue. this shit is easy realy. And after growing a dwc and soil side by side one of my boys just proved to himself that soil/coco is more maintenance. Watering every few days and hoping you have the right soil mix. But to each his own I guess. And like Ken said for us low plant count guys it's haven sent. Autos and dwc go hand in hand. I love these monsters and how fast they roll off.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

"Almost every big time grower I've known with a water-based system has failed"

what would you say is the biggest cause of failures?
i battle crapy well water but once they get to doing their thing im just mostly along for the ride.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

"Almost every big time grower I've known with a water-based system has failed"

what would you say is the biggest cause of failures?
i battle crapy well water but once they get to doing their thing im just mostly along for the ride.
The best thing I've seen for root health is hydroguard. I swear by it, it's almost foolproof. I've seen it keep healthy roots with res temps close to 90℉.

I'd like to know what caused all the failures too. The two people that I've taught my dwc/rwdc methods were first time indoor growers, One has never even grown a tomato plant, both flourished with it.

I understand undercurrent and dwc are different things, but not that different. I just don't see how people have such an issue. It's literally set it and forget it.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

@Midwestjay I think most people's failures in DWC have to do with cleanliness and system maintenance, in addition to not knowing how to build a grow which is really the ultimate failure in hydro. In smaller setups I'm sure hydro works amazingly with little maintenance, once it's scaled to 10+ lights and different zones it becomes a real chore.

My only peev with hydro was the clean up - I'm not about that much scrubbing...6 hrs of bleaching equipment vs 6 hrs of transplant in a 10 lighter I'd take the coco or rockwool any day, especially with automation since all you really have to do is mix your stock ferts once every 7-10 days.

The one guy I know still rocking an undercurrent (current culture system I belive) is still smashing it beyond reason, but he even admits his system scares him and he's afraid to leave it for more than 8 hours at a time.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

@Midwestjay I think most people's failures in DWC have to do with cleanliness and system maintenance, in addition to not knowing how to build a grow which is really the ultimate failure in hydro. In smaller setups I'm sure hydro works amazingly with little maintenance, once it's scaled to 10+ lights and different zones it becomes a real chore.

My only peev with hydro was the clean up - I'm not about that much scrubbing...6 hrs of bleaching equipment vs 6 hrs of transplant in a 10 lighter I'd take the coco or rockwool any day, especially with automation since all you really have to do is mix your stock ferts once every 7-10 days.

The one guy I know still rocking an undercurrent (current culture system I belive) is still smashing it beyond reason, but he even admits his system scares him and he's afraid to leave it for more than 8 hours at a time.
Yea I can see how scaled up the issues could compound. But honestly I haven't sanitized my system in about a year. I swear hydroguard it's amazing. I just rinse and wash with my hand. I haven't even sterilized my rocks in a cycle or two. I do rinse them. But I could definitely see my practices being an issue if I had 50 sites. Honestl, the more I think about it.... There's no way I'd wanna do this on a large scale. The amount of water alone would be crazy. Don't even talk about nute prices and electricity.

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

Highatolla.

Greetings!

1) using this forum as a metric for the popularity of a given method is probably a bad idea. With the exception of a few renissance men/women it would seem very few still post actively on forums. Consider seeking out instagram accounts and hashtags, more likely to get a picture.

2) i'd venture to say if you knew how widely used UC's are you'd likely be shocked. I'm fortunate to know the cc team so I'm familiar with the volume. They just moved into a 35,000 sqft building if that's any indication.

Water culture is a small, but quickly growing subset of hydroponics which is gaining popularity. You should give it a try, no doubt the folks at CC will be helpful.

Last edited:
Herb Forester

Herb Forester

^Video guy says one of the main reasons for switching is they 'got tired of carrying bags of dirt in and out'. He dropped his EC to 1.2 from double that in soil/soilless, another tip-off. And a bunch of other bullshit that makes him sound like a grow-shop queen with a warehouse (flush out those nutes bro). Serious 'experts' up there.

I'd like to see a few hundred+ lighters running successfully on RDWC, that would be impressive. If I switched over for my little projects, I'd have to hire a dedicated cleaning crew and a technically adept manager for each. Payroll through the roof.

Last edited:
We Solidarity

We Solidarity

^Video guy says one of the main reasons for switching is they 'got tired of carrying bags of dirt in and out'. He dropped his EC to 1.2 from double that in soil/soilless, another tip-off. And a bunch of other bullshit that makes him sound like a grow-shop queen with a warehouse (flush out those nutes bro). Serious 'experts' up there.

I'd like to see a few hundred+ lighters running successfully on RDWC, that would be impressive. If I switched over for my little projects, I'd have to hire a dedicated cleaning crew and a technically adept manager for each. Payroll through the roof.

lol glad to know I'm not the only one to get that impression. Soon as he said "carrying dirt in and out" I started wondering what else they were doing wrong.

just imagine what a hundred buckets worth of root aphids must look like in the central reservoir :puke2:

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

Funny to see the reactions.
RDWC is just an irrigation method. Still largely reliant on the expertise of the grower. If soil suits ones preferences then no doubt they should stick with it. For those with the proper interest and predisposition to detail, you'll likely crush it in water culture.
I repeat, you'd likely be shocked. Keep in mind how large the industry currently is. Hard to get a clear view of the Taj Majal through a key hole :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom