Why does cannabis turn your eyes red? 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Thread starter 420SOS
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420SOS

420SOS

Been doing some research about the topic and I am coming across many myths, anyone knows the medical facts of cannabis induced "redeyes"?

MooseFarts

MooseFarts

I was always curious of the biological reasoning of this as well. Always thought it was to do with getting smoke in the eyes but even when you don’t get smoke in your eyes, they inevitably turn red!

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I thought it was because the cannabis opened the blood vessels in the eyes by increased blood pressure.
Heard something about this a while back.

Almost right......

The familiar red and glassy-eyed stare of someone who’s high was thought to be due to the irritation of eyes by pot smoke. Now we know that weed makes your eyes red for the same reason it makes you dizzy- vasodilation.
Marijuana’s has a lot of active ingredients. Tetrahydrocannabinol(THC) is only one of the many (>113) cannabinoids present in cannabis. These compounds interact with cannabinoid receptors, which are part of the endocannabinoid system. They’re found throughout your body, notably, in your eyes.
Cannabinoids bind to cannabinoid receptors and induce the dilation, or widening, of the blood vessels. This increases the blood flow to these areas and causes an overall decrease in blood pressure. The increasedblood flow to your eyeball causes the red appearance, and the lowered blood pressure causes the dizziness.
You can test it yourself, by consuming marijuana through a non-smoked method and looking for reddening of your eyes.

B

Burned Haze

Almost right......

The familiar red and glassy-eyed stare of someone who’s high was thought to be due to the irritation of eyes by pot smoke. Now we know that weed makes your eyes red for the same reason it makes you dizzy- vasodilation.
Marijuana’s has a lot of active ingredients. Tetrahydrocannabinol(THC) is only one of the many (>113) cannabinoids present in cannabis. These compounds interact with cannabinoid receptors, which are part of the endocannabinoid system. They’re found throughout your body, notably, in your eyes.
Cannabinoids bind to cannabinoid receptors and induce the dilation, or widening, of the blood vessels. This increases the blood flow to these areas and causes an overall decrease in blood pressure. The increasedblood flow to your eyeball causes the red appearance, and the lowered blood pressure causes the dizziness.
You can test it yourself, by consuming marijuana through a non-smoked method and looking for reddening of your eyes.

Well explained mi

Def makes sense and down the point but also won’t confuse anyone. Thanks for the information

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Well explained mi

Def makes sense and down the point but also won’t confuse anyone. Thanks for the information

Lol. Thanks but i did a quick google search and picked the most official sounding source.

If i had tried to explain it everyone would be more confused. :-)

420SOS

420SOS

I was always curious of the biological reasoning of this as well. Always thought it was to do with getting smoke in the eyes but even when you don’t get smoke in your eyes, they inevitably turn red!
Yes thats actually one of the myth/truths I found

420SOS

420SOS

Exactly! I was going to say that even with edibles your eyes can turn red
Almost right......

Top Bottom