Why is it a good

• Thread starter Money420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Money420

Why is it a good idea to start growing in a small pot or a cup??? Also after germinating. How far down in the soil. Do ya'll plant the seed after germinating???

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Mostly has to do with controlling watering. Putting a small seedling in a large pot just seems to slow everything down, including watering. When I put a seedling in a 5 gallon fabric pot with soil that was very wet, it took over 3 weeks to dry enough to water again. During that time there was too much water in the bottom of the pots for roots to grow correctly there. Once the plants were full size, they were taking that much water every 2 days and respirating it away. All in all, it really slowed down the veg cycle in my grow. (I planted May 1st, flipped to flower Aug 11 - that's a very long veg period).

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

About 1/4 inch deep. If the germed seedling has a long root already, I sometimes just get the root deep and let the "head" sit right at the surface.

M

Money420

About 1/4 inch deep. If the germed seedling has a long root already, I sometimes just get the root deep and let the "head" sit right at the surface.
I'm having problems germinating. I put the seed in a small cup. Then I put the cup on a heating pad. I look at it after 24 hours. And all it's done is barely cracked the shell.

GreenMtnGuru

GreenMtnGuru

I'm having problems germinating. I put the seed in a small cup. Then I put the cup on a heating pad. I look at it after 24 hours. And all it's done is barely cracked the shell.
Put the seed in a cup of room temp RO water for 24ish hrs. Add some H2O2 if the seed is older.

When it cracks, put said seed in a small container of medium, roughly 1/4” deep (not any less though).

Then, don’t eff with it. No heating pad. Saran Wrap or a humidity dome over the container until it sheds the seed casing helps a lot.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Yes — one of the many weird things about growing cannabis is that the seeds germ quickly when you first soak them in water overnight, up to about 24 hours. Once they crack, they just want to be kept a little moist, not wet.

You might try the paper towel method:
1. Soak in water or peroxide solution overnight-24 hours
2. Wet a paper towel, fold it up and then put the seeds in one of the folds. Don't let the paper towel dry out — some people put it in a plastic bag.
3. Check it each day. As soon as you see a root (also called a "tail"), get it into moist soil.

Whatever you do, do not keep watering the soil so it stays sopping wet. Once that seed cracks, it's going to want oxygen just as much as water. Too much water = not enough oxygen.

simonkay

simonkay

Put the seed in a cup of room temp RO water for 24ish hrs. Add some H2O2 if the seed is older.

When it cracks, put said seed in a small container of medium, roughly 1/4” deep (not any less though).

Then, don’t eff with it. No heating pad. Saran Wrap or a humidity dome over the container until it sheds the seed casing helps a lot.
So if im growing with jiffy pellets in a tray i don't ever need to put the dome on?

E

Edinburg

With autoflowers you do not transplant you sow your seed in the pot your whole grow will be done in, when growing photoperiod strains you start off in a solo cup, when you get a nice root ball you transplant into a bigger pot you then bury all the roots leaving the main stem, when that gets pot bound you repeat this process till your plant is in the size pot you want.

Latest posts

Top Bottom