Why is soil better?

• Thread starter kill-9
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

cway

You can grow in COCO and use organic methods that use microbes to feed the plant, and you can grow in COCO with Synthetic Hydro nutes so for the sake of comparing apples to apples everyone needs to be more specific..

Organic Soil does not get flushed, you cannot flush microbes out of the soil, you can only let the plant finish off its food supply, so during the " FLush " period for Organic methods you feed the plant microbe teas, these teas contain bacteria that help finish of food sources in medium and therefore create a "FLushing " effect.. which in realty is the plant starving for food...Any grower that feeds up till chop, wether it be Hydro or Soil or Soiless will have buds that taste like shit... Unless they have their shit dailed in and slowly taper off food sources.. BUt this in the end has a same effect just different method

There are alot of ways to grow with Organic methods without even using soil..

You can use peat, coco, diatomite, peralite, vermiculite.. none of these are considered dirt or soil...

Definition of soil..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soil

C

cway

its my theory that People that say Organic Soil less methods do not produce superior smoke, for the most part dont have a true understanding of how to properly grow organically.. To dial in a Organic medium you must understand the relationships with the meduim, and how to use it to your advantage..

N

Nuglover

I don't grow hydro so I don't know about it but with organic soil you feed the soil and keep the soil healthy and it will take care of the plant for you. Don't really need to feed the plant. JMO

C

cway

Great article..Keep in mind this is GH trying to sell nutes, but they state it themselves..
No Microbes in organic hydro.. Gotta be the microbes that creat the terpen profile..

U wana c for urself.. Do a side by side.. use any killer organic recipe, mixed properly and put it next to a Hydroponically grown indentical cut.. U be the judge..

B

boxmunch9

Ive read in maxyeild that the chlorene in tap water is strong enough to kill microbes, good and bad ones, so unless you use RO water you have very little to no microbes in you medium, even in organic soil. the article also states that running airstones in your water doesnt "blow off" the chlorene either

C

cway

Ive read in maxyeild that the chlorene in tap water is strong enough to kill microbes, good and bad ones, so unless you use RO water you have very little to no microbes in you medium, even in organic soil. the article also states that running airstones in your water doesnt "blow off" the chlorene either

Very true and good point BM.. But if you let tap water sit out for at least 48 hours the chloriene will disipate or evaporate... thats why I say one must understand these relatioships...

If one was to do a organic grow with tap water out of the tap then they are not doing things properly thus affecting the end product..

M

MADISM

How about soil is better because that's hows its been done for millions of years. Hydro is nice but i feel more for a commercial grower.

B

boxmunch9

what the article was saying is, I cant find the article I just looked, but it says that most county's are now using something called chloramine, not sure on the spelling, but i guess it does less damage to waterpipes over time and doesnt disipate like chlorine, so the water stays cleaner for drinking longer. even with sitting it out, this stuff wont disipate, it must be removed with a filter. just somthing to think about, we all could be killing any microbes we try so hard to develope

V

VirginHarvester

Can somebody take this opportunity to explain what soil less is or more importantly why someone chooses it and what you have to add via nutrients to make up for it?

Thanks.

I

irie

Great article..Keep in mind this is GH trying to sell nutes, but they state it themselves..
No Microbes in organic hydro.. Gotta be the microbes that creat the terpen profile..

U wana c for urself.. Do a side by side.. use any killer organic recipe, mixed properly and put it next to a Hydroponically grown indentical cut.. U be the judge..

I do agree; though these are extremes of each. A well grown organic vs. synthetic nute grown hydro is no comparison, when it comes to taste at least. And that is what I love about the herb.

I'm curious about this relationship between the microbes and the terpene profile...

I have been told that coco does not taste as good as soil; having tried both, but just starting coco, I can't tell yet. I can say that I've had VERY different strengths of smell/flavor from the same strain when grown differently.

When I gave a cut of my sour diesel to a buddy, he returned some nugs and they were smellier and tastier than any I've ever grown; I believe he's all organic, and uses Bone Meal, which I read somewhere is a great amendment for both flavor and flowering enhancement. I had some bone meal, but never really used it...

The Joker

The Joker

I've used organic elements in my hydro to make up for what it is missing. Budswell, and some teas. Silicate. It's just harder to maintain a healthy colony in your nutes, because it can go bad really easily. I had one grow go south because my rez started foaming from all the stuff growing in it.

Good organic mixes smell earthy. Teas, organic hydro etc, should smell good, once they smell like feet or bad cheese it's not so good.

I have some friends who grow and we all grew the same clone and submitted them to each other for tasting. Mine won. I grew hydro in soil, but I also added organics to it to dial in the taste. You can grow organic in soil and still have bland weed if you don't know what you are doing.

It depends on you. Hydro grows are way easier for disabled people, there is no soil to carry and you can pump your nutes. I actually pump my nutes right into my outdoor garden. I don't put anything in the water system.

I live in a low water state so the idea of using three gallons to make one gallon of RO water is too selfish for me to justify.

But Sannie is into the whole bacterial thing and has stated it simply:

There are two ways to grow...one in which you feed the microbial life in the soil which creates the food for the plant.

The other in which you use chemicals ( any kind of plant food) to feed the plant and the soil is pretty much a hydro medium.

You are either feeding the plant or feeding the soil. So those who grow in soil and add all sorts of nutrients and supplements throughout the grow are actually growing hydro in soil since the plant is really only using the food you add with water and the soil is used up.

The way he grows, there is no fertilizer at all, he grows a healthy bacterial colony and feeds and maintains that colony. Seems like with that set up , it's so easy it's not funny. Check it out...this is really organic.

https://www.opengrow.com/index.php?showtopic=39389

https://www.opengrow.com/index.php?showtopic=37422

I've never seen this kind of growing before , but I have now found a few products stateside that are compatible. I'm blown away by organic growing in soil . Growing in soil with ferts is just hydro in soil. It's a little easier than hydro, but the same in principle.

R

RasJay727

Man has done a very good job imitating nature and trying to speed up the process with hydro. Personally, I think it loses some flavor and smell when it's not done the slow natural way. Don't get me wrong...I'd still grow it and smoke it. I personally grow in soil because I grow for myself and two other people so I don't need large quantity. I also don't have the time or money to go hydro. If I was to go commercial then hydro would be the only choice. JMO

Damn, Nuglover took the words out of my mouth. I began organic and im back to stay for good. Hydro is great, but u cant beat the smell or taste of organic. I love opening mason jars filled with organic bud, its a huge difference.:rock

R

Rocky Top

You bring up good point. I use Great White for all my beasties and I feed them with moleasses and I use tap water. However, I treat my tap water with a water conditioner that is used for aquariums and fish. It "neutralizes" the chlorine and chloramines along with any heavy metals. It works in seconds and allows the beasties to be happy. It works great at removing the poison that kills the beasties.

Now, back on topic...I believe soil allows for stronger colonies of micro beasties that increase the terpens which in turn increases the taste for soil grows. As has already been pointed out, if you feed your soil your plants will thrive. If you feed your plants all types of chemicals you can still have some very impressive plants but you will ALWAYS suffer in the taste department I don't care how you flush. It's all about the beasties when growing in soil. To me, they are the most important aspect of any soil grow outside of genetics. Just my 2 cents worth.

C

cway

Plants in my organic soil less mix.. These things healty plants... These are OG Kush F2's and the Bx1 OG Pheno.. stalks As fat as my thumb...

Top Bottom