Why is soil better?

• Thread starter kill-9
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kill-9

So pretty much everyone agrees that marijuana grown in soil produces the best herb, why?

I am guessing because there is no physical disruption of the roots. Or mother's nature's plants are just more agreeable with soil?

Coco and Aeroponics are relatively new, while the earliest use of hydroponics I can think of is the Mexica(Aztec) Natives and their floating gardens in Tenochtitlan.

Do you think over time, plant genetics can adapt better to the new mediums?

C

cway

So pretty much everyone agrees that marijuana grown in soil produces the best herb, why?

I am guessing because there is no physical disruption of the roots. Or mother's nature's plants are just more agreeable with soil?

Coco and Aeroponics are relatively new, while the earliest use of hydroponics I can think of is the Mexica(Aztec) Natives and their floating gardens in Tenochtitlan.

What up man.. I have seen these threads get ugly..

Hope this one stays cool.. Heres my 2 cents

I have grown in Hydro and Organic Soil less medium and here is what I have come up with...

Hydro grows faster and gives a marginal better yeild, but the end product is not as rich in terpene profiles as Organic Soil or Soil less.. ...

Organics uses decomposed carbon based food sources, these food sources are feed to the medium which contains beneficial bacteria that eat these food sources and excrete the food sources in a form that the plant can then uptake.. I believe that the bacteria excrete additional compounds that allow the plant to produce a much more rich terpene profile.. Its my theory that since this is not present in water mediums, those profiles will not be developed.. I have smoke the same cut grown in Advanced Nutrients Connesuer line, expensive shit, and in my organic soil less medium and everyone can vouch for the differnce.. good friend of mine owns a Hydro Shop and he was the biggest anti soil, pro Hydro cat on the block..Till we did the blind Pepsi Challenge with the same cut..

Properly Grown and harvested and cured Organic Buds will always knock the socks off anything grown in Hydro with synthetic nutes.. So long as its the same cut.. IMHO

N

Nuglover

Man has done a very good job imitating nature and trying to speed up the process with hydro. Personally, I think it loses some flavor and smell when it's not done the slow natural way. Don't get me wrong...I'd still grow it and smoke it. I personally grow in soil because I grow for myself and two other people so I don't need large quantity. I also don't have the time or money to go hydro. If I was to go commercial then hydro would be the only choice. JMO

R

ResinGoat

I want to try a pepsi challenge as well. Love to see difference between soil and organic aeroponics. What's to say that roots suspended in air can't have benificial bacteria on them? Cool discusion.

O

Oaksterman

I too have grown in a variety of different mediums from pure salts in hydro to 100% organic in soil with the same cut over the period of a few years. For me the soil grown was the best and now typically don't smoke anything else.

Man has done a very good job imitating nature...
I agree and want to add that man can't duplicate nature.

I

Indianche

Well it's only natural for marijuana to grow in soil thus produce better buds :) and I should say when making the choise between hydro and soil you choose over a little better and a little faster I hope you get what I mean :)

S

Snookster

My next grow will be 50/50 soil & coco. I've grown in both separately & found that both mediums had it's good points, so I will put them together for the ultimate test. I've read many threads indicating that this way combines the new & the old & the grow & yields are generally outstanding.

H

HerbalTea

I grow in soil, but mostly for practical reasons. It's reasonably cheap, and easily buffered against pH swings. Almost idiot-proof, so it's perfect fer a guy like me...;)

K

kill-9

Ok this thread is kind of going off topic already. No disrespect but Im not asking what you guys grow in....Im not asking what are the differences between hydro, soil, and aero.

This topic is about why is soil the best? WHY, the very reason. What's going on differently in the roots? As Cway tried to give his part, which were the type of replies im looking for.

C

cway

I dont think the same cut from the same mother will adapt to anything.. You have to adapt to it.. But a homogeneous seed population would if you allow nature to goes through its own selection process in that particular medium.. darwinism at its finest...

Resin Goat,

The Bacteria are present in the medium.. In Aero there is no medium... They cannot suspend in air.. They must have a habitat like any other species.. Aero and Hydro cuts out the Bacteria, those food sources are in broken down compound forms that a plants roots can directly uptake..

R

ResinGoat

I believe there would be bacteria on the roots in an aero aplication, why wouldn't there be? It's not like roots are covered in an anti-bacterial slime or something. Bacteria exists everywhere, even inside you! The roots hanging in hydroponics have everything they need including everything the bacteria need; there's water, nutrients, oxygen = good habitat.

I'm thinking there maybe a placebo effect with the soil vs hydro. Then again I have not done my own testing yet with an identical cut!

I'm no expert but if you think I'm wrong please lemme know. Cheers!

C

cway

I'm no expert but if you think I'm wrong please lemme know. Cheers!

Well to be honest bro these are my theories and nothing more... Try the same cut side by side, Organic Soil, Synthetic Hydro, and you be the judge

Im by no means a expert.. Just my thoughts based on experience and observation.. take it for what its worth..

Hashmasta-Kut

Hashmasta-Kut

Supporter
prolly more kindsa organisms in soil tho, more variety..

R

ResinGoat

Well to be honest bro these are my theories and nothing more... Try the same cut side by side, Organic Soil, Synthetic Hydro, and you be the judge

Im by no means a expert.. Just my thoughts based on experience and observation.. take it for what its worth..

Hey man I'm right there with ya, I like playing armchair scientist. I'm thinking soil is more complex than I first gave it credit. Its probably got 100's of different minerals, organics and bugs in it. No telling how each effect the root system

R

ResinGoat

Hey man I'm right there with ya, I like playing armchair scientist. I'm thinking soil is more complex than I first gave it credit. Its probably got 100's of different minerals, organics and bugs in it just like hashmasta said. No telling how each effect the root system

Solidopc

Solidopc

I actually think it works the other way round for me. I find my coco bud better than my soil bud in all aspects. I think it is because you are getting more of the plants potential from it by growing in coco. The faster, more vigourous growth in coco compared to soil, also translates into the aroma, flavour and high for me. I am guessing because the plant is healthier, more vigourous, and has all it needs readily avilable, it is growing to more of its full potential than in soil.

Most probably won't agree. But it's how i have found it. Grown in soil near 3 years, only just started coco, but the difference is quite acute.

B

boxmunch9

yea I dont know if everyone agrees soil produces the best buds. I find that my coco grows have been bigger, smell better, taste better,and are better yeilding. Micrbos in the soil helps younger plants take off. I know your looking for why soil is better but I dont think theres a real answer for you out there because its not always true due to how much personal opinion revolves around which grow medium is the best, soil grows that arent flushed for 18days, too me, taste like dirt. stankiest grows have been from coco that is flushed once a week

B

bigworm

its more forgiving with nutes..if yea messup just flush for a couple day....go organic no panic....burns better
tastes better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom