Why won't the calyxes form on my plant?

• Thread starter TheCatman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TheCatman

I don't understand this is like week five. The plant has been shocked a couple times and it's an Autoflower but the calyxes are not forming. There's hairs and leaves but if you look close the meat of the bud isn't there. It's also that way on two other ones that are much taller and haven't had any shock but did have a little bit too much nutrients at one point. I'll show you a picture of the shocked one and you can't really see the calyxes. They're purple red and green if you look close enough but they're tiny. This other short one I have the same height you've been able to see the calyxes the whole time. It is supposed to be 7 to8 flowering week. This is week five. The one with good calyxes and flower seems to be standing still but the trichomes aren't turning Amber. The plants themselves are only about 7 or 8 weeks old. Last grow this happened to two of my plants. You can see that leap year one that's the one that's been shocked that's the one that has the colorful calyxes that aren't forming. Even buying that you can see the calyxes on the other plant forms perfectly. I'm wondering if putting it out in the sun could save the three that don't seem to be thickening?

Why wont the calyxes form on my plant
Why wont the calyxes form on my plant 2
Why wont the calyxes form on my plant 3
Why wont the calyxes form on my plant 4
Why wont the calyxes form on my plant 5
Why wont the calyxes form on my plant 6
Why wont the calyxes form on my plant 7
T

TheCatman

Also every tip on every plant is burnt and that worries me. It seems like I can't even water now. They have too much nutrients. They're in a super soil and the people that sold me at said the yellowing leaves at the bottom needed nutrients probably and that I had already used up what was in the soil most likely. The only other thing I used was their vegetable supercharger that came from the Purple Cow line. One of them I feel like if I water it again it's going to die. It doesn't have a lot of foilage so I don't want to accidentally kill it by over-watering it either. Even a flower I have that's doing amazing that did not get overfed all the tips are burning. Especially the one that they told me I needed the nutrients I microdosed it now every time I water it gets worse. There is not a leaf on that plan that does not have burnt tips even sugar leaves are getting burnt tips. They all appear to still have a pretty wet Center despite being light. I thought about giving it one more day even though these fan leaves are yellowing I think they're past the point. I think it would be better to let it get a little bit drier and then flush it out with water? Could any of this be from the light as well. My light is a lot further away than recommended. Right now the company recommends my light and 18 to 22 in away from the flower. I have it at 28in to my closest.

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Also every tip on every plant is burnt and that worries me. It seems like I can't even water now. They have too much nutrients. They're in a super soil and the people that sold me at said the yellowing leaves at the bottom needed nutrients probably and that I had already used up what was in the soil most likely. The only other thing I used was their vegetable supercharger that came from the Purple Cow line. One of them I feel like if I water it again it's going to die. It doesn't have a lot of foilage so I don't want to accidentally kill it by over-watering it either. Even a flower I have that's doing amazing that did not get overfed all the tips are burning. Especially the one that they told me I needed the nutrients I microdosed it now every time I water it gets worse. There is not a leaf on that plan that does not have burnt tips even sugar leaves are getting burnt tips. They all appear to still have a pretty wet Center despite being light. I thought about giving it one more day even though these fan leaves are yellowing I think they're past the point. I think it would be better to let it get a little bit drier and then flush it out with water? Could any of this be from the light as well. My light is a lot further away than recommended. Right now the company recommends my light and 18 to 22 in away from the flower. I have it at 28in to my closest.
I think you just haven't reached the 'bud fattening' stage yet. Some strains take longer in flower than others, and the buds fatten towards the end.

Looking at your leaves, it seems sort of normal for later in the flowering stage. Nitrogen is taken from the lower fan leaves to feed the rest of the plant, they turn yellow and die off. Burnt tips means they were overfed earlier, not necessarily now.

They do look a bit leggy, and I don't see any signs of light burn. With such a tall spread. the lower buds must not have a lot of light on them. You need a proper (Apogee) PAR meter to know what your light is doing.

I would let it dry almost to the point of drooping, and then flush with RO water. You may have slow-release nutes in the soil causing issues.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Looks like the plant might be having P and/or K problems. It might be too late, but bloom nutes, high in P and K might help a little.

You have calyxes, BTW, just not nice, heavy buds.

I have to second @Ponky. You have a tent, why waste your time with autos? They are not easier to grow and there sure seem to be a lot of shitty, phenos.

T

TheCatman

I think you just haven't reached the 'bud fattening' stage yet. Some strains take longer in flower than others, and the buds fatten towards the end.

Looking at your leaves, it seems sort of normal for later in the flowering stage. Nitrogen is taken from the lower fan leaves to feed the rest of the plant, they turn yellow and die off. Burnt tips means they were overfed earlier, not necessarily now.

They do look a bit leggy, and I don't see any signs of light burn. With such a tall spread. the lower buds must not have a lot of light on them. You need a proper (Apogee) PAR meter to know what your light is doing.

I would let it dry almost to the point of drooping, and then flush with RO water. You may have slow-release nutes in the soil causing issues.
Yeah it's a super soil called Purple Cow indicanja soul.? They also recommended their vegetable supercharger from that line to help absorb the nutrients. When my taller one with almost nothing else on it looked a lot better but just had some yellowing leaves at the bottom the guy from the same store recommended biobizz bio bloom. I didn't even give it half a dose. But yeah there are nutrients already in the soil supposedly but the guy at the store thought since I went with three gallon pots there might not be enough in the end. I don't know what endpoint that would be with little experience. I was relying on them. I'm a little unhappy about that. I feel like things would have been going a lot better had I not introduced the biobloom or maybe even the vegetable supercharger. But the vegetable supercharger went with the purple cow line. I may just go back to Fox Farm. But I don't want to use a salt based nutrient for flowering. I've been told by somebody that he can tell every time which bud is the bud that somebody grew in assault-based nutrient. Like the Pepsi challenge. The guy actually designed the soil. So I really trusted what you said but he's not the one at the store that told me to buy more stuff. He gave me a little bit of sound advice but he's just a busy man. It sucks I don't want to just judge the Purple Cow by what happened here. Maybe if they were photo strains and I trained them bigger it would have worked out. Next time I am doing either five photo very short veggies. Or I'm trying to convince somebody to let me put a couple Autos in their yard so they will flower faster and bigger. Maybe just do two or three and the tent. The last strain we grew in there there was trouble with the calyxes forming on two of the plants. They're not even good enough to smoke. After using up all the plant material they're next in line for creating butter. I considered using it for r s o. These autos seem like garbage for the most part. I was on time constraint and did not know if I would still be living in the same place come August. I was worried and in a hurry. It was suggested to me to run autoflowers. Looks like I will be done with plenty of time. I have been waiting now a couple days 2 or 3 to water. Open the center Mass would dry up pretty good. I can tell that there seems to be a middle section of Ruth in the fabric pot I have to water slowly in the same place to get the water to get down to the bottom. And usually tries to leak somewhere out the sides halfway now I'm or a little further. At that point I hold the plant with my hand so it doesn't notice the turn but I turned the pot sideways a bit so that the water will drain into other parts of the pot rather than out. I need to just give them a good soaking but I'm also afraid to over water. None of these issues really happened with the photo strain before this. That was also though in a different soil. What really sucks is my run that has been shocked so many times the calyx you can barely see them but they want to be green red and purple. If it would fill out it would have some beautiful buds. When they started growing as babies I could tell that that plant wanted to be a beast. It's just seeing some unlucky events. The larger ones were doing okay until I introduced The bio bloom. When large white Pistons appeared on the stocks of the plant the guy with all the experience told me to raise the light and stretch them out. I don't know if he thought that would create larger bud or whatever. I'm afraid to move my light closer. The fact that every time I water things seem to get worse also. I do think there's a buildup of nutrients but the dwarf gets new burns on the very top leaves as they come out. At the tips. Here's a couple pictures of the dwarf flowering. That's probably got the biggest flowers or going to have the biggest flowers. The other two tops are from the two tallest. Does it seem like a light could be closer to those.?

T

TheCatman

Looks like the plant might be having P and/or K problems. It might be too late, but bloom nutes, high in P and K might help a little.

You have calyxes, BTW, just not nice, heavy buds.

I have to second @Ponky. You have a tent, why waste your time with autos? They are not easier to grow and there sure seem to be a lot of shitty, phenos.
What is p or k? The smallest one that was sat too close to a heater. Now been knocked over three times. Yeah there are calyxes on it but very very little. Like very little amount of them and where they are they are tiny. I was on time constraint so autoflowers seemed like it would be faster. I don't even think I had these for three weeks but I guess I pissed them off into flowering right away. I raised the light and two of them stretched with it the shocked one, the one with beautiful calyxes, and the dwarf just stayed small. Last time when we grew a photo strain we had pretty much three different phenos from 4 seeds. I don't know where I will be able to grow come August so I don't know what to do. I would like to start some photo strains. I would like to put these autoflowers outside. I'm trying to convince my friend to take them. I feel like it would fatten them up really good if they were put outside. Any thoughts on that? Do you know anybody that's put them outside to fatten them up?

Neuro

Neuro

If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind.
No calyxes. Not visible to the naked eye in cannabis plants. Those suckers are bracts.

jesterthejedi

jesterthejedi

It’s safe to defoliate those nasty burnt fan leaves. I saw your previous pics and I saw one was a nasty burried thing in the leaf! Why didn’t you cut that right off? 🤔

T

TheCatman

It’s safe to defoliate those nasty burnt fan leaves. I saw your previous pics and I saw one was a nasty burried thing in the leaf! Why didn’t you cut that right off? 🤔
I don't know what you're talking about on the bigger one that actually seemed to suddenly produce me some fan leaves. I am worried because I added an extra nutrients to the soil that this place that I could add and I got burnt tips on every leaf. I thought that these leaves were absorbing whatever shock from the nutrients to try to save the rest of the plant I thought if I cut that off something else would just start taking that and I don't know this is only my second time. I've also never done autoflowers. I have another one that seems stuck the top keeps producing little bugs coming out here and there to the sides some of its turning a reddish color which is nice but the trichomes I feel like should be Amber by now and they're clear to cloudy with Amber only on the Leafs no Amber on the buds. This train was supposed to be 7 to 8 weeks done hopefully they turn Amber. I'm at like 8 from planting germinated seeds. I'll post a pic of that and this other little one that has nasty burnt up curled up fan leaves and now some other weird burning at the bottom I am not sure what's doing this. Like I said I was worried that they were just absorbing the nutrients. I don't know why it is okay to cut off and what's not I thought the plant was either eating it or it was taking the shock for the rest of the plant. Also do you know about anything about putting plants outside in the sun? To try to thicken them up? I'll include another pic from a dollar one that stretched out more and I figured it was just eating the leaves. Or I was absorbing the nutrients again.

20220520 114239
jesterthejedi

jesterthejedi

I don't know what you're talking about on the bigger one that actually seemed to suddenly produce me some fan leaves. I am worried because I added an extra nutrients to the soil that this place that I could add and I got burnt tips on every leaf. I thought that these leaves were absorbing whatever shock from the nutrients to try to save the rest of the plant I thought if I cut that off something else would just start taking that and I don't know this is only my second time. I've also never done autoflowers. I have another one that seems stuck the top keeps producing little bugs coming out here and there to the sides some of its turning a reddish color which is nice but the trichomes I feel like should be Amber by now and they're clear to cloudy with Amber only on the Leafs no Amber on the buds. This train was supposed to be 7 to 8 weeks done hopefully they turn Amber. I'm at like 8 from planting germinated seeds. I'll post a pic of that and this other little one that has nasty burnt up curled up fan leaves and now some other weird burning at the bottom I am not sure what's doing this. Like I said I was worried that they were just absorbing the nutrients. I don't know why it is okay to cut off and what's not I thought the plant was either eating it or it was taking the shock for the rest of the plant. Also do you know about anything about putting plants outside in the sun? To try to thicken them up? I'll include another pic from a dollar one that stretched out more and I figured it was just eating the leaves. Or I was absorbing the nutrients again.
Second pic, I’d trim that brown thing off. As for nutes and your other questions, simplify things until you have figured out the optimal solution that works for you. Less = more, use less nutes. Outside means more bugs, wait until you have sorted out this harvest before complicating things more.

Top Bottom