Wild Rock Dust

• Thread starter L0ki907
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L0ki907

L0ki907

Hey folks,

As my handle implies, I'm in Alaska, and have access to all the fine ground rock you could ever want via our abundant glacial rivers.

I can get plenty of silt that has been sitting high & dry long enough to be effectively "sterile" (yeah, I know). But, I can also get some from the banks of salmon rivers.

The smell of the silt lets you know you're in a fishing area, from the seasons of fish carcasses decaying on top year after year.

Would I be better off avoiding introducing any of these wild, untamed microherds into my garden and just use the clean stuff, or go for the natural microbes?

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I’d be tempted to work it in somehow. Even if it was just to mix it in with my compost. Might give a unique texture that’s beneficial to the plants root system. Hard to say without seeing it or knowing more about it. I’m sure oldskool would utilize it somehow in his complex soil mixes.

Perception

Perception

If you want the rock dust, but are unsure about bugs or microbes, just pasteurize it with some heat. You'll still get the minerals. It's my opinion that almost any microbe populations are good microbe populations, especially if it's from your area (Indigenous microorganisms), and in a natural healthy environment.

So if you are thinking about adding it to your soil raw, I think your concern should be whether or not you are introducing pests/bugs in to your indoor garden.

Oh, and I'm not sure if mining was a big thing in your area, but if there lots are mine-tailings upstream from your source, there could be heavy metal or other contaminants. Probably unlikely, but just be aware (ie: is there a nasty mine-tailing a 1/4 mile up from where you are digging the silt?)

L0ki907

L0ki907

Any mining that was done in the rivers I'd be collecting from would have been shut down no later than the 60's, if at all.

I can get the dry silt now. Need to wait another month or so to get the inoculated.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Go for it man. Local, clean “alaskan silt”. People would pay money for it probably :)

I would go in moderation and see how they react to it. Also i didn’t think pests were a big problem in alaska. Are they? The frost should kill them over winter, no?

Last edited:
MedicalDave

MedicalDave

Any mining that was done in the rivers I'd be collecting from would have been shut down no later than the 60's, if at all..
I’d be cautious and do some research on the area before collecting river silt. The fines from mining operations can travel a long ways and leach out into the environment from tailings.
The thought process with industry is“The solution to pollution is adequate dilution.” So you just water down your toxic waste to meet environmental standards.

I would be concerned about lead, copper, arsenic and mercury content if the overburden was disturbed or if the rivers been dredged.

If there’s a metal dealer nearby you might be able to get it assayed for peace of mind.

Perception

Perception

Any mining that was done in the rivers I'd be collecting from would have been shut down no later than the 60's, if at all.

I would consider mines from the 60's fairly recent. Mines from the gold rush in the 1800's in the Western US are still causing awful problems. Just be aware.

It's the old inactive mines that are the problem. Back in the day, there were no regulations and mines were made wherever and however people wanted to. They are leeching crap in to waterways today, and probably will for a long time to come.

Last edited:
Top Bottom