Will a green light disturb flowering plants?

• Thread starter Hayze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hayze

I have heard that a green light will not effect the flowering cycle, and will let you work on your plants when the main lights are off. Is this true?

I still setting up my grow and I won't always be able to get to my plants on time, so if this is true it would be a good option for me.

M

MIZZ ELVIS

You sure can bud!!! Look into a product called the Green Eye task light. It wraps around your ear like a bluetooth wireless earpiece, so you can work hands free. They run on AAA batteries and use high intensity led bulbs, that are rated to last a 100,000 hours. I have two, one for each ear, and that is more than enoug....They are retailed generally for around $14.95. I have also seen some growers use green christmas lights, strung across their gro space as well, for this same purpose.

H

Hayze

You sure can bud!!! Look into a product called the Green Eye task light. It wraps around your ear like a bluetooth wireless earpiece, so you can work hands free. They run on AAA batteries and use high intensity led bulbs, that are rated to last a 100,000 hours. I have two, one for each ear, and that is more than enoug....They are retailed generally for around $14.95. I have also seen some growers use green christmas lights, strung across their gro space as well, for this same purpose.

Thanks thats a good idea. I was thinking more along the lines of a incandescent green party light. But your idea would be alot more convenient and wouldn't take up any of my already small space available.

CheechWizard

CheechWizard

A few months ago I took out my green party bulb and replaced it with a green LED light (one that screws into an ordinary light bulb socket). The green spectrum the LED casts is more color correct than the green coating on the party bulb. It's not as bright but I think the plants are happier. Mizz Elvis: The green LED head lamp is great; I use one too.

H

Hayze

A few months ago I took out my green party bulb and replaced it with a green LED light (one that screws into an ordinary light bulb socket). The green spectrum the LED casts is more color correct than the green coating on the party bulb. It's not as bright but I think the plants are happier. Mizz Elvis: The green LED head lamp is great; I use one too.

Where did you get your light from? I was talking to someone today, and they said if you use a party bulb it has to be green glass not just a coating. Like you stated, he said spectrum is wrong and you could end up stressing the plants. Do you think that is true?

D

dooobster

I've heard that too, but I'm afraid... lol Don't wanna risk hermage...
I just save any work for when the lights come on.

0sWizZle

no light at all...yes green light will stress your plants out....it may do it more then less to others based on strain...

keep all your lights off during the dark period....that is...if u dont mind harvesting some bannanas with ur nugz

M

MediVapeMan

I've been using the green eye l.e.d task lights for 2 years now and have never had a single plant turn hermie on me. They are awesome.

E

easypleasie

I use the green cfls they have at home depot. I was scared to use them at first but occasionally, I needed a way to work at night. I haven't run into any problems in the last few harvests. Doesn't mean it won't happen to you! My last run had 4 different strains and none of them hermied. Used the light about a dozen times last run. It was actually my best harvest! But who knows how much stress they are really getting and what effect it actually has? Nice if the plants could literally talk back :)

S

selfhemployed

I have had herm issues with the bulbs that are painted green, I am under th assumption that only a green colored bulb preferably an led is the way to go. the two dollar bulbs don't do a good enough job filtering out the other colors

H

Hayze

I have had herm issues with the bulbs that are painted green, I am under th assumption that only a green colored bulb preferably an led is the way to go. the two dollar bulbs don't do a good enough job filtering out the other colors

Thats exactly what I heard too.

girlwondergrows

girlwondergrows

I prefer the green CFL's- I've never had a problem using them and I sometimes fuck up and leave them on all night. I definitely try to keep it to a minimum, though. I'd love to try out some green LED style bulbs, the leds truly only emit a small part of the light spectrum, there should be NO red light from a green LED.

-gwg

E

easypleasie

I gotta look into those green led lights. I'll feel a little more at ease than the green cfl's i've been using. The paint fades on them when you leave them on too long. I also forget and left the light on all night a couple of times. Fortunately, I didn't have any problems.

Dirte Bag

Dirte Bag

I see this is ancient but I don't see any reference to the LED displays on all of the greenhouse equipment which, of course, are green. Many even have adjustable brightness and make excellent night lights.
GROW HACK: Put black Gorilla tape over any other color LEDs in your flowering area, like the red displays commonly found on chillers.

Dbear180

Dbear180

I see this is ancient but I don't see any reference to the LED displays on all of the greenhouse equipment which, of course, are green. Many even have adjustable brightness and make excellent night lights.
GROW HACK: Put black Gorilla tape over any other color LEDs in your flowering area, like the red displays commonly found on chillers.

I use aluminum air duct tape. Doesn't leave glue residue behind like the gorilla tape. Gorilla tape is good stuff tho.

Latest posts

Top Bottom