Will a Plant Flower w/ 1hr on, 1hr off.

• Thread starter Stoner Smurf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Stoner Smurf

So I am having heat trouble in my veg room, and it will be about a week until A/C is up and running. So if I run my veg light 1hr on/1 hr off for a total of 12/12 my plants wont flower will they? I already know they won't but I just want someone to verify, and make sure nothing else wacky is going to happen.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hmmm... that's a good question, and I don't have the answer. I do know that interrupting the dark period stops flowering, but I've never done anything remotely close to that type of photoperiod. Try it! You'll know in a few days whether or not it'll trigger flowering. My guess is that it won't because there's not enough of a dark photoperiod for flowering to be triggered. But, I could be wrong. Boost of nitrogen and triancontanol (found in alfalfa) will help keep them pushed to vegetative phase.

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
wont flower them, but could stress them.

COnfu...

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

I would leave a CFL on during the 'off' period.

this.

I would use a low heat light to keep your cycle. the plant will not flower because they only judge the length of the dark period. That is why you can flower with 6on 12 off np. I will likely stress them too.

S

smokestack23

not a good idea. Get ventilation, turn or flip flop one or some of your lights, use flouros..straight or curly..
Many ways to handle the heat short term without freaking out your plants so much.

putembk

putembk

You can interrupt the light cycle but you cannot interrupt the dark cycle. They will hearmie on you.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes, you can interrupt the dark cycle and they won't hermie on you. I've been doing it this way for over two years now.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
i have never tried it but im guessing that would definitely lead you down the wrong path and probably would end up herming a plant. and i have interrupted the dark cycle as well started them 2 hours early cuz i was in a rush to feed. as long as you leave the light on you should be ok. but if u interrupt then turn it back off again is were u will run into problems. this is also strain dependent as well soem lines are just rock solid and it takes quite of bit of stress to affect them. and others like sour d or chem and its crosses will have trouble at the slightest thing

putembk

putembk

Yes, you can interrupt the dark cycle and they won't hermie on you. I've been doing it this way for over two years now.
I don't know why you would want to do this and you may have created a special way of doing it but if the average grower tries this I can't imagine it turning out well. I like to experiment as well but what is the purpose of doing this?

putembk

putembk

i have never tried it but im guessing that would definitely lead you down the wrong path and probably would end up herming a plant. and i have interrupted the dark cycle as well started them 2 hours early cuz i was in a rush to feed. as long as you leave the light on you should be ok. but if u interrupt then turn it back off again is were u will run into problems. this is also strain dependent as well soem lines are just rock solid and it takes quite of bit of stress to affect them. and others like sour d or chem and its crosses will have trouble at the slightest thing
Hmm, thats two who have said you can disrupt the dark cycle. So I went back and read the original post and I now see my problem. 1. The title of your post says flower but in the post it clearly indicates veg. There is a lot of things you can do in veg that you can't do in flower. 2. I specialize in Chemdog and this strain is just waiting to herm. Sorry for the bad info.

S

Stoner Smurf

The title is asking will a plant in veg flower under those lighting conditions. It may have been worded poorly, that's my bad.

aleYarok

aleYarok

hes in veg.... not in flower.... trying to stay in veg...

yes obviously you do not interrupt dark period in flower... but in veg does it really matter?

like others have said it deff wont start flowering with that light cycle but will prob confuse and stress your girls. cfl ftw.

S

Stoner Smurf

It's actually all a moot point now. I got the veg intake fan taking cold air from my flower room right by the AC. That keeps the temp where it needs to be and not at 100 degrees. Thanks for playing though everybody.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Wait a minute! I haven't esplained myself yet. :)
I don't know why you would want to do this and you may have created a special way of doing it but if the average grower tries this I can't imagine it turning out well. I like to experiment as well but what is the purpose of doing this?
The very specific purposes are two-fold. First, it means that you don't have to stay married to a photoperiod like 18/6 (insert photoperiod of choice). But the much more important reason is because I will grow outdoors for as long as I'm physically able. However, I don't just grow seed starts, very often I will have something from the previous year that I really want to run again, so I keep cuts that will go out that following spring.

Cuttings--how to grow them indoors in a manner that will (hopefully?) ensure that they don't immediately go into flower when they're placed outdoors? Interrupted photoperiod. That means interrupting the DARK cycle.

The daylight cycle is set to match the daylight hours of my location on the date I plan to set them out. Where I am that's usually about 13hrs daylight. Well, you may already know that if you just put them on 13hrs daylight most all strains will begin to flower out, right? NOT if you interrupt the dark cycle.

So, I do it so I can put cuts outside and they won't immediately flip into flower, thusly stunting not only that important vegetative growth (I need them to get some height and breadth to them before they flower), but reducing or eliminating the risk of that photoperiod confusion that occurs when they begin to flower, and then go back to veg because the daylight hours are still lengthening.

So far I've only had one strain refuse to go into full vegetative state, that wants to flower--Blockhead.

putembk

putembk

Wait a minute! I haven't esplained myself yet. :)

The very specific purposes are two-fold. First, it means that you don't have to stay married to a photoperiod like 18/6 (insert photoperiod of choice). But the much more important reason is because I will grow outdoors for as long as I'm physically able. However, I don't just grow seed starts, very often I will have something from the previous year that I really want to run again, so I keep cuts that will go out that following spring.

Cuttings--how to grow them indoors in a manner that will (hopefully?) ensure that they don't immediately go into flower when they're placed outdoors? Interrupted photoperiod. That means interrupting the DARK cycle.

The daylight cycle is set to match the daylight hours of my location on the date I plan to set them out. Where I am that's usually about 13hrs daylight. Well, you may already know that if you just put them on 13hrs daylight most all strains will begin to flower out, right? NOT if you interrupt the dark cycle.

So, I do it so I can put cuts outside and they won't immediately flip into flower, thusly stunting not only that important vegetative growth (I need them to get some height and breadth to them before they flower), but reducing or eliminating the risk of that photoperiod confusion that occurs when they begin to flower, and then go back to veg because the daylight hours are still lengthening.

So far I've only had one strain refuse to go into full vegetative state, that wants to flower--Blockhead.

Like I said you have created your own special way of growing, at least I have never come across it. You are way to far off the beaten path for me. Living in the foothills just above Denver keeps me inside all year long. But it's interesting isn't it, the ways we have learned to manipulate this plant.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Like I said you have created your own special way of growing, at least I have never come across it. You are way to far off the beaten path for me. Living in the foothills just above Denver keeps me inside all year long. But it's interesting isn't it, the ways we have learned to manipulate this plant.
Not me, this information was gifted to me by another grower. He's the one who spent the most time researching and experimenting, gave me a basic schedule (one of those cheap timers from Walmart that uses 15min increments is what I use) and I ran from there. It doesn't work perfectly with all strains, but it works pretty damn well.

I'm in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada, moved down from South Lake Tahoe. We grow outside when and where we can.

And yes! It's fascinating to me how humans have learned how to manipulate all sorts of living things, some in a really cool way, others, not so much (thinkin' celestial eye goldfish, pugs, bulldogs, miniature "horses").

So, now you know that if you should ever want to take a clone from indoors and grow it outside, you can do so (unless it's Blockhead for some reason) with little worry of immediate flowering. :)

putembk

putembk

Well Seamaden, I don't think I will ever get the opportunity to grow out doors as my neighbors probably wouldn't understand. ha, ha. What is your altitude. I am at just under 6,000 feet. A question, why grow outdoors when you are set up for indoors at altitude? I know you get much bigger plants/yield but you can turn a crop over faster indoors.

Top Bottom