Will this stunt my plants height?

• Thread starter 716legalgrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
716legalgrow

716legalgrow

Hello guys! So here are a few pictures I just tooken of my plants! First one wasn’t doing so hot, so few days ago I came here for help. And I’m glad I did! Each passing day I’m watching her turn more and more green and overall healthier. Well I was in my tent, not paying attention, and I accidentally snapped one of my plants (see last picture) pretty far down, I would say 2 bud nodes down her top. Is that gonna stop her from getting any taller?

Will this stunt my plants height
Will this stunt my plants height 2
Will this stunt my plants height 3
Will this stunt my plants height 4
One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Where it has been topped is good learn how to train the lateral branches to become Apex heads or buds .you have taken the apex dominance from the top and now each branch will want to be one .

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Where it has been topped is good learn how to train the lateral branches to become Apex heads or buds .you have taken the apex dominance from the top and now each branch will want to be one .
Bingo, but they will struggle and never quite reach her true potential, IMO. Nothing is quite like the apex of a plant, even when it's bent in a lower position than all the others. Budding sites, size, it must be a genetic feature of some type. Written into the genetic code of every plant.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Bingo, but they will struggle and never quite reach her true potential, IMO. Nothing is quite like the apex of a plant, even when it's bent in a lower position than all the others. Budding sites, size, it must be a genetic feature of some type. Written into the genetic code of every plant.
I dont know I think some love to be topped and produce better and others not so much. I prefer to top indoors as an even canopy most often means a bigger yield. The exception to that imo is SOG.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I dont know I think some love to be topped and produce better and others not so much. I prefer to top indoors as an even canopy most often means a bigger yield. The exception to that imo is SOG.
Yea, I was kinda thinking that might be the case also, especially with some of the cloned cultivars, that are highly specialized. It's like they are one giant apex to themselves, or they simply love to flower vertically and have that closed inter nodal structure. Genetics doing it's thing.

But I think as a general rule, it's mostly true. With auto's, it's very critical aspect of the plant structure.

Last edited:
716legalgrow

716legalgrow

Yeah since this is my first time around, by myself at least I’ve helped a handful of growers so I have minor knowledge. Some plants I’m bending them and tying them down and two others I topped just to see which results I like best. So far, I’m digging the low stress training. All’s well so far.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah since this is my first time around, by myself at least I’ve helped a handful of growers so I have minor knowledge. Some plants I’m bending them and tying them down and two others I topped just to see which results I like best. So far, I’m digging the low stress training. All’s well so far.
You will find much depends on genetics.. id say research the strain you are growing and the pheno's it produces since today's seeds carry a wide amount of pheno's. Or just experiment but understand the findings you come up with are specific to the genetics you have tested on.

For instance the gelato I did last can produce some real big single colas but the cake and chem didn't seem to matter how many times it was topped only mid sized. Indoor or outdoor will matter for light delivery and indoors we see a much bigger benefit overall. In the end its about total yield unless growing for show.

Outdoors you may want to for structure or certain climates like say Michigan where lots of rain comes close to harvest time and big buds are more susceptible to rot from moisture etc.

No right or wrong here and many ways to do it right depending on our needs

716legalgrow

716legalgrow

You will find much depends on genetics.. id say research the strain you are growing and the pheno's it produces since today's seeds carry a wide amount of pheno's. Or just experiment but understand the findings you come up with are specific to the genetics you have tested on.

For instance the gelato I did last can produce some real big single colas but the cake and chem didn't seem to matter how many times it was topped only mid sized. Indoor or outdoor will matter for light delivery and indoors we see a much bigger benefit overall. In the end its about total yield unless growing for show.

Outdoors you may want to for structure or certain climates like say Michigan where lots of rain comes close to harvest time and big buds are more susceptible to rot from moisture etc.

No right or wrong here and many ways to do it right depending on our needs
Yeah I got a few photos from random bags of weed that are doing great lol. Then 5 northern light auto flowers

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Yea, there certainly is more than one way to skin a cat. That's really good advice for any novice grower. Personally, I like to learn different ways, and different techniques... One of the hardest things to do is working within a certain set of parameters, for instance. Some of the plants I put out this year are sitting on hilltop, and others are sitting in swamp... The one's on the hilltop I was reluctant, because of having to carry water to them, the ones in swamp are close to water....

Overall so far, the ones on the hilltop are doing much better, I think because of better sunlight, and more fresh/better overall air quality. The one's in the swamp are around grass, and there's lot's of bugs out there, so I've been hitting all the plants with plenty of microbes, and foliar sprays above to keep them healthy and happy.

It almost seems like the ones in the swamp are so green, they seem to be sucking nitrogen out of the air, I'm not sure, but I suspect that might be the case, either that, or it's the swamp water I'm feeding them. Who knows, but they are much darker green plants. But the swamp creatures are going to be a challenge, I can tell that already. But that won't deter me from trying. I want to familiarize myself with various eco-systems, so I can evolve my cultivars to adapt to them.

A plant will never have more potential than it's conditions, and even a half-breed will do better in some situations, then the finest of cultivars. The key, IMO, lies in lining those two pillars up, and balancing them correctly.

Last edited:
716legalgrow

716legalgrow

Yea, there certainly is more than one way to skin a cat. That's really good advice for any novice grower. Personally, I like to learn different ways, and different techniques... One of the hardest things to do is working within a certain set of parameters, for instance. Some of the plants I put out this year are sitting on hilltop, and others are sitting in swamp... The one's on the hilltop I was reluctant, because of having to carry water to them, the ones in swamp are close to water....

Overall so far, the ones on the hilltop are doing much better, I think because of better sunlight, and more fresh/better overall air quality. The one's in the swamp are around grass, and there's lot's of bugs out there, so I've been hitting all the plants with plenty of microbes, and foliar sprays above to keep them healthy and happy.

It almost seems like the ones in the swamp are so green, they seem to be sucking nitrogen out of the air, I'm not sure, but I suspect that might be the case, either that, or it's the swamp water I'm feeding them. Who knows, but they are much darker green plants. But the swamp creatures are going to be a challenge.
This whole growing thing is just fun in general. Keeps me busy at home and is gonna save me a fortune in the long run. My auto flowers are a week old today, so I’m debating whether or not to feed them cal-mag water only or just give it another week and keep feeding them straight water

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

This whole growing thing is just fun in general. Keeps me busy at home and is gonna save me a fortune in the long run. My auto flowers are a week old today, so I’m debating whether or not to feed them cal-mag water only or just give it another week and keep feeding them straight water
That sir is the attitude needed for success... keep it fun and simple.

Top Bottom