Window AC leaking light.

• Thread starter HookedonPonics
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

What's up farmers. Just finished my new veg room I set up a 14,400 btu LG window AC I just bought from Home Depot and it leaks a ton of light in thru the cool air vent. I can't think of anyway to block out the light without blocking the air coming out of it. I looked in the vent and the inside of the AC looks like it is made of styrofoam that illuminates from the sun on the other side. Are these new LG window ACs crap because it sure looks that way.

T

TheJackyl

put a hood on the top of the a/c on the outside so it has a sun shade if possible, just an idea

YeahADabildo

YeahADabildo

Build a box out of wood to hang over the A/C unit. Make it long enough to hang out far enough to continue your air exit movement. Make the box closed on all sides. on the bottom cut a 3.75 inch strip to open it up and enables the air flow out of the A/C cover the 3.75 inch strip with speaker mesh that will ensure no light coming in underneath. Problem solved. PS you don't have to use wood, you can use any material that is not opaque, if wood is not an option. A guy up here did his with license plates.

T

TheJackyl

Build a box out of wood to hang over the A/C unit. Make it long enough to hang out far enough to continue your air exit movement. Make the box closed on all sides. on the bottom cut a 3.75 inch strip to open it up and enables the air flow out of the A/C cover the 3.75 inch strip with speaker mesh that will ensure no light coming in underneath. Problem solved. PS you don't have to use wood, you can use any material that is not opaque, if wood is not an option. A guy up here did his with license plates.
Just make sure you don't make the wall on the side of the A/c to close because it will over heat so keep at least 1-1/2 gap from the side, I would go 2 inch because it is easier to shorten something then to expand it. but you need flow at the sides to cool the a/c

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

I don't like portable air conditioners because they never add up to there rated btu's and even double hosed units seep air from the garden. I have mini splits in all my flower rooms and thought I could just use a window shaker for my veg space. I've owned several window air conditioners and never had this prob. The interior is made of styrofoam I was like wtf. I'm just going to return it and use an old one.

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

That's so funny you mention that. I was just signing on to report I fixed the problem. I took the little vent flap off and painted the inside with some non toxic children's acrylic black paint thanks to my niece. And viola fixed not a pinch of light outside and I didnt have to build any crazy shit.

legaleyes13

legaleyes13

That's so funny you mention that. I was just signing on to report I fixed the problem. I took the little vent flap off and painted the inside with some non toxic children's acrylic black paint thanks to my niece. And viola fixed not a pinch of light outside and I didnt have to build any crazy shit.

Cool man, happy to hear that.

YeahADabildo

YeahADabildo

Beats the hell outta building a box ha. Glad it worked out with the paint.

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

Funny because I actually tried making a box like you said just out of a cardboard box and the problem was the interior of the box would get cool and hit the thermostat temp and shut off before it even began to cool the garden. Thanks a lot anyways guys.

R

Randomdred

Do you think foil tape or garilla tape wld work the same?

Does this foam board need to breath...
Some models are plastic I think...

Top Bottom