Working with limited space, what strain's do you recommend?

• Thread starter TurboGSR96
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TurboGSR96

Hello, I am trying to get some info/recommendations on a strain to pick for my grow room. I am limited in height to 50" but the room is 20' wide x 20' long so I have plenty of room for plants.

Also with my limited height would it be ok to mount my lights on the walls instead of the ceiling or would that cause issues? This is my first indoor grow and I want to be sure I dont get plants that like to grow over 4.5', yield at this point is not an issue. I will not be doing hydro so what kind of growing material do you recommend? I have grown outside before with a mixture of 50/50 potting soil and vermiculite and had good results, but I dont think that mixture is ideal for me now.

If I wanted to grow 10-15 females what kind of wattage/type of bulb do you recommend? I was thinking 2 1000w HPS's to leave some room to expand in the future, or is this overkill? I have access to MH bulbs locally, would they work too? I see people using a mixture of the 2 but is it really needed or just to get a broader spectrum of light? Is there a chart or reference I can use to make a determination on fan size of the intake/exhaust in the room?

Any other recommendations appreciated, Thanks......

P

ProGroWannabe

With four and a half vertical feet you could grow anything you wanted....that's right ANYTHING. Some strains such as long-flowering sativas could be Low Stress Trained (bent over) and still grown in your space. Also you can run a 12/12 light schedule from seed (no veg period) and keep them smaller. I only tell you all this so that you realize you are not as limited as you think. As far as all your other questions go, have you checked out the Grow F.A.Q. section? Just scroll to the top of the page and look for the button that says Grow F.A.Q. There is truly a wealth of well-presented information there!!

T

TurboGSR96

Thanks dude I have been a member for a few weeks and I have read all through the FAQ, some of the problems I am having is finding out exactly what coco is, I see it mentioned non stop and think I found the product, is it made by CocoTek? I also see Nutes mentioned alot which I am assuming are Nutrients, is there a basic group of them that I should have when I start my grow?

P

ProGroWannabe

The "quick an dirty" on coco..... Coco fiber used in horticulture is a by-product of the coconut industry. For many years, there was not much use for the coconut husks. As the husks were removed to get to the pulp inside, they were simply mounded up as waste. I don't know exactly when it was found to be such a great growing medium, but it was. Now it is purchased and processed by a variety of companies such as Botanicare, Sunleaves, Canna, and a host of other horticulture suppliers. You can find it in several forms in most grow stores, both online and at store locations. Most stores carry bricks or blocks. These are dry, compressed, rectangular cubes that will expand greatly once rinsed. And yes, they HAVE TO BE RINSED. They typically have a very high salinity or salt content which will quickly kill plants if it is not rinsed out very well with water. Usually 5 to 8 times the amount of water to the amount of coco is plenty. The next often found option is bagged coco. The bagged coco is almost always pre-rinsed so that it is ready to be planted into, right from the bag. This is typically a bit more expensive, but is also less time-consuming and messy. The third likely option that you may find is coco slabs. These are "mats" of coco that appear to be almost woven together. They are commonly found in use in Ebb&Flow set-ups. As for "nutes".....that is just a shortened word that stands for nutrients. Nutrients are what the plants eat so that they can continue healthy growth. There are a gazillion different choices in nutes because they are cheap to make, and afford manufacturers a high profit margin. The main difference in nutes is in the growers skill at applying them. Since your new, I'd highly recommend something like Pure Blend Pro or Canna. Both are simple to use, give great results, and have a large base of users who can give you great support for any questions you may have. If you choose a nute that no one uses, your on your own as far as getting other user's advice. Keep that in mind.

T

TurboGSR96

Appreciate the help and the thorough response. I think I am going to try just a soil mix for my first grow, I still ahve a ton of supplies to buy and most importantly I need to decide on what strain's I will be growing.

F

FastForward

Appreciate the help and the thorough response. I think I am going to try just a soil mix for my first grow, I still ahve a ton of supplies to buy and most importantly I need to decide on what strain's I will be growing.

I've got a bunch of lowryder#2's in right now and I have to say that so far I'm very unimpressed with them. They promise too much imho and don't seem to deliver. They are nice and small though, so that might work for you. My main issues with them are:

- high male:female ratio
- slower than they claim
- few hermies already
- expensive for what they are
- no clone/mother

I'd probably stick with pure indicas, or largely indica dominants....or anything that just grows short. Go to some of the seedbanks and you can search by height.

Also, check out Bendz for LST. Makes life easy and gives you massive amounts of control over the shape and size of your plants. I've got one growing sideways, bonsai style, at the moment.

FWIW my two most mature plants @ about 6-7 weeks are a WW and Violator Kush. Both are about 16 inches tall and still in veg. I'm using MH to veg because it produces shorter and bushier/less stretchy growth. Good luck and enjoy :)

U

ukcheesehead

as all the farmer have said in that size room u can grow anything u want just LST

my old flower room was 50" tall 28" wide and 20"deep i used a 250w hps in there and allways got between 5oz and 6oz dry from 1 ,2, or 3 plants

leadplant

leadplant

heres another option that I've grown to like - vertical lighting. Hang the light vertically from the 50" ceiling. I also put a homemade reflector above it - those water heater pans work great for DIY reflectors. Some refer to this style as "stadium" or "coliseum." It uses light very efficiently and is a "cats crotch" for low celings - ie: best fit.
A 400W can accomadate about 6-8 ladies in 2.5 gal buckets placed in a circle around it. For 15 ladies, two 400 watters could be enough - but more is better of course! Muhahaha!
400W bulbs are easier to find "off the shelf" though and perhaps a bit more versatile for small grows.
I've been watching some great COCO grows, Gonna try it eventually. I sense that it might be a touch less forgiving than soil though but then again, nothing is as forgiving as soil.
Have heard some bad reports about Lowryder but some of these new Columbian Ryders and Diesel Ryders look really interesting. IMO, ryders are best used outdoors.
I myself ordered some Jack the Ripper and NevxMango gear from here - hoping they get here in a few weeks - fingers crossed.

P

ProGroWannabe

Turbo...soil really is your best choice to begin with. It buffers well, which basically means if the pH is close (just not perfect) that the soil has the ability to regulate that pH so the plant isn't affected. In other mediums your pH HAS to be right or your plants suffer quickly. IMO must haves for a new grower, in order of importance are: 1. Ventilation 2. Odor control 3. pH testing equipment......i.e. a pen, meter, or liquid test kit 4. Nutes 5. Growing medium 6. Lights 7. Seeds That's just my opinion though....others may feel differently.

T

TurboGSR96

Thanks alot, the room has some great intake and exhaust area's already in place, I ust have to get the fans and plumb them. Odor is not much of an issue as the location is over a mile off a back road with nobody around, but I am contemplating sealing off the space and just using an air conditioner and humid/dehumidifiers instead of intake and exhaust vents.

I am considering Northern Lights and possibly a GrapeFruit or something fruity as the first 2 strains to grow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom