Worm Castings and Coco

• Thread starter bloads
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bloads

bloads

I got some worm castings to add to my coco. A nutrient guide mentioned that they were a good source of magnesium. I've also read here that people say it enhances their flavor (or was that bat guano, I forget which type of animal feces were preferred for taste)

What's the preferred method of using the worm castings with coco? Mix it in, like 10% worm, 60% coco, 30% perlite? Or is making a tea best? Once I make the tea, do I also add my normal feed nutrients to it?

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

I would say make a tea, as the nature of how you feed/water coco will cause it to flush out very quickly if it is amended into the coco itself.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I have done both, added it directly to the coco and given teas. Don't go too heavy on the castings or it makes the mix very heavy and then it holds far too much water, tends to compact around the roots. Lighten the mix up, if it's needed, with rice hulls. I would do around 30% (one third) at most if adding the castings directly to the mix.

I use Botanicare 5kg coco bales that require expanding and charging.

I prefer using molasses to help with flavor, scent, etcetera. Know that it boosts microbial populations and if it's something you don't use regularly you'll see some yellowing when you first add it. This is due to the microbes consuming the available N before the plants get to it, so you need to add a bit more until the poop (microbe poo) catches up with everyone.

chronic.player

chronic.player

I add worm castings via tea. Easy, simple with great results.

Highly recommended...

T

treehugger

I would say make a tea, as the nature of how you feed/water coco will cause it to flush out very quickly if it is amended into the coco itself.

A well constructed soilless mix combines a variety of different materials that will provide varying micro-enviornments within the container. Utilizing worm castings as a tea only, misses the opportunity to add its texture, cation exchange profile, and micro-flora to your mix.
As Seamaiden noted, too much can bind and harden your soil, 15-25% works well in most situations. Worm castings effects seem to persist for only 3-6 weeks in pots, tea's are an excellent way to add more of that good organic taste late in flowering.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Can one use perlite to compensate for this?
You can, but it can only do so much because of how fine the castings themselves are. Also, I MUCH prefer rice hulls at this point, for everything.

C

cheech

You can, but it can only do so much because of how fine the castings themselves are. Also, I MUCH prefer rice hulls at this point, for everything.

where do you get the rice hulls? hows the cost compared to a 4 cf bag of perlite?

justsomeguy

justsomeguy

do both. the ratio you mentioned is what i figured, but i use vermiblend amendment instead of straight castings. its' got castings, kelp and compost. did a comparison of coco/perlite to coco/perlite/vermiblend and it grows a little slower the first week but is twice the plant by the end of week 3. so amending your coco with 10% quality organics is totally the way to go.

the nutrients in castings aren't water soluble so they won't be very available in tea form. the tea will just be loaded with the microbes that break down the castings and dead roots in your media. teas are essential but they should not be confused with fertilizers. they are a cheaper and more effective replacement for inoculates. if you want to re-apply castings for nutrients you'll have to top dress but that will mess up your drainage bad.

M

mrbong73

Here's some interesting info on worm castings:

"Description

Nutrient-rich with excellent water-holding capability, earthworm castings are an active biological mix of bacteria, enzymes, broken-down plant matter and animal manure, as well as earthworm cocoons (while damp). This diverse microbial population plays an important part in soil fertility by converting complex substances into available nutrients.

The castings are the excrement of earthworms which have been fed organic matter and in turn produce this valuable soil enrichment, which doubles as both a soil conditioner and fertilizer. They are rich in water-soluble plant nutrients, and can contain more humus than what is normally found in topsoil.

Properties

The nutrients in worm castings are easily absorbed and immediately available to the plant. They improve soil structure, enhancing the soil's ability to retain water and inhibit root rot.

Not to be confused with the less nutritional "vermicompost," our pure worm castings are 100% finished, free of pathogens, weed seeds and other variables, and guaranteed to have high levels of the following essential ingredients:

•Nitrogen
•Phosphorus
•Potassium
•Calcium
•Magnesium
•Trace minerals (quickly active and time-released for maximum results.)"

[Cite]

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
where do you get the rice hulls? hows the cost compared to a 4 cf bag of perlite?
I got mine at the local feed store, which means that it hasn't been treated to prevent the rice grains from popping. It's a FRACTION of the cost of perlite. 8'cu bag, highly compressed, of rice hulls is $6-$8. You can do the rest of the math to compare it to perlite. There is, for me, absolutely no reason to ever buy a bag of perlite again. I did a thread on it.

I understand that for some folks peanut hulls are another alternative, but I know nothing about what's in them or how they perform.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I find all it does is float to the top of the pot, and then what's happening down below? Compaction.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
I got some worm castings to add to my coco. A nutrient guide mentioned that they were a good source of magnesium. I've also read here that people say it enhances their flavor (or was that bat guano, I forget which type of animal feces were preferred for taste)

What's the preferred method of using the worm castings with coco? Mix it in, like 10% worm, 60% coco, 30% perlite? Or is making a tea best? Once
I make the tea, do I also add my normal feed nutrients to it?

ewc can be used as a top dressing w coco as well. I use aact made from compost + EM in addition to the top dressing of ewc.

ewc top dressing, 1tbsp per gallon of coco every 2 weeks, I start in veg and stop by week 4 of flower.

-lead

Mr.growz

Mr.growz

I used e.w.c last year and was told I wasn't gonna be able to control the medium because it was organic and would be less effective as i use coco ( lol hydro farmers most from my experience dont want organic products in their medium unless its nutes...? What's the differnce?)Well this year I didnt put the castings into the medium same exact strains as last year and last years DID SO MUCH BETTER THROUGH ALL THE STEPS IM AT TIL NOW.. so I highly suggest using them and I used 25% castings 60% coco and 15% perlite... I also put diatomaceous earth on top of the medium in case any critters got attracted to the medium but served well as a combatant against all who try to enter it. Also bat guano is the shit..literally some of the best stuff I grew I used bat gauno. It smelled and tasted pretty fricken awesome. Next transplant I will be putting the castings back in and will prob ad guano as a supplement.

Latest posts

Top Bottom