Worm Farming Aka Vermicomposting!

• Thread starter LittleDabbie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
@LittleDabbie hows the worm biz? Still pumpin em on e bay? Is it planting time up there in the north pole yet lol?
Just got all my veggies in and tilled in about 50gal of castings.

Bins going good :D Sold all my stock i had in 10 days lol so now im waiting on the bin to produce more figure i'll be harvesting again in about 2 weeks or so..

Planting time was earlier this month a little early but i got away with it.. got 6 tomato plants going and 2 green peppers.. Tried raspberrys and watermelons but those didn't work out..

Also picked up an alternative to azomite called Elimite more less the same thing 60+ trace minerals gonna test that out on the bin and plants / teas ect see how it performs..

:D

G gnome

G gnome

Oh azamite in the bin huh? Didnt know that trick. Jus put a bunch in my veggie garden. Glad to hear the worm biz iz boomin.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Yeah i was bored yesterday so i started watching how the big farms chrun out 1/4 million worms at a time and one of the food ingredients the guy was saying he uses is azomite so i bought 5#'s figure i'll see how it works out if i notice any boost in populations or egg productions..

G gnome

G gnome

I was watching a vid on the tube bout the same thing. Manure is all they use

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Busy day.. Harvested the bin again pulled around 20 gallons this round, Decided to split the bins made 3 this round instead of 1 big one should help breed faster this way not that i need more worms but lol i won't say no to having more :D

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Went down to the trail camp today, started off slim pickings be then i came across a cpl spots where people unloaded there trailer and holy shit! ended up coming back with close to 30 gallons worth of horse shit.. woulda been more but i didn't bring enough buckets/bins

got it hot composting atm prolly let that compost for a week or 2 then start feeding the worms! :D

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Woot Just got back from the Trail camp again, was going to wait till july to go back and fill up a cpl bins but i got bored waiting for the ups man to get here..

scored 2 more 18 gallon bins filled and packed down to the brim! so alot more then 18 gallons lol, Now my 35 gallon trash can is packed with shit and another 18 gallon bin is full.

Think im good on horse shit till next year? Guess we'll see when july gets here lol

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Composters check in!

If you don't know! Well.. start on page 1 and find out :P

START A WORM BIN! You will see the difference in your grows!

And when you have more worms then you can take care of, Gift a worm bin to someone else! (Gave my brother 2 bins) :D

Sharing is caring!

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
woot bumping this cause guess whos starting his worm farm again! After giving away all my worms and dumping all my compost into my previous address garden I quit the vermicomposting industry, Lot of life changes happened and i just couldn't keep up with the business anymore.

But I'm starting again! Pics when my damn worms get here, Ordered 2000 from georgia, They died in transit, usps sends me a letter they won't deliver the shit it smells.. lol

So now i ordered 2000 from ohio.. lets hope these make it.

Got a 20? gallon bin started with pure coco and i'll toss in some cow compost for them to eat for now, Also going to once again be feeding them Azomite to spur reproduction, and purina worm chow its 18$ for a 50lb bag which will get me thru till i can start producing my own scraps again.

Anyone else got worms? I know OD got that chicken scratch pile going!

Last edited:
One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I have used worms in my system for a very long time the benefits of conditioning the soil shows in my veggies n fruit trees and my weed trees of corse use the tea in final flush works beautifully, Yes between my chooks making compost for my worms to eat plus my daughter has 20 odd Cavy and all there hay and poo go to the worms as well I like a closed system in my veg n fruit meaning using 90% own inputs as stated 10% brought in imputes such as hay and chaff for the piggies . Od .

O

oldschoolgranny

Very good question, YES theres a chance if theres any mites or such bugs in the soil you can transfer those to your cannabis plants, If you want to avoid doing that, i would STRONGLY suggest looking into making casting TEAS!!! :D From my understanding they can be used as a spray or a watering nutrient.

I don't have any recipes for teas to give ya so you'll have to look those up but im pretty sure its very simple :D
I have a small trough that I keep filled with water and I toss in whatever poop from my various critters (NOT dog/cat!). Trick is to keep the water moving with an air pump or in my case, a powerhead. Make sure the intake is covered with a mesh bag so the solids don't clog/kill the pump. The poop will liquidize quite nicely, and you can water your MJ with it at least once per week to 10 days. You can use it on your veggie garden too.
Note-- place the tub or trough away from your living space, because initial adds will be quite heady.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Wet paper and cardboard I ran thru a ninja blender on top, compost manure ect mixed in layers and coir for bedding. Over 4k worms in a 27gal bin.
20200727 185525
20200727 185528
20200727 185532

greatbayorganics

greatbayorganics

And here my highly sophisticated "hopper" for loading up the tea bag aka ladies stocking View attachment 497475
Wondering if you have ever tried no tea bag? Then use a paint filter if your putting into a sprayer for application... more experienced growers than I have sworn by this saying that it shakes the microbes free better than isolating the dry amendments?

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Not sure why I didn't join this thread earlier. I am stoked to see how you all are raising your worms.

What I do is throw all my food scraps in a thermal pile first and mix with wood shavings. After the thermal pile has heated up and cooled back down I throw the compost in the worm bin. This helps burn off some of the bugs and prevent overfeeding my worms, while still using all of my scraps.

OLDSILVERTIP

OLDSILVERTIP

Plant sap sucking mites stick to plants. They don't mess with compost bins, in my experience. The best defense against bugs is preventive sprays and healthy plants. Lots of people blame the dirt they get as to where they got bugs from, but most of those cases are just speculation.

On my property I raise chickens, and have a vineyard, orchard and veggie garden. One of my nieghbors has horses.....funny story here. The horses like to poop right on the fence line of our properties even though they have acreage to run around on. One day I hopped the fence and started to shovel the poop into the back of my truck. My nieghbors apprently were video taping me laughing their asses off. I am sure I am on youtube somewhere with a title "somebody stealing my horse shit", lol. Anyways, I compost the horse shit first because of de-worming meds they give the horses. Another neighbor has goats and everybody has chickens. If you offer to clean other peoples chicken bins, funny thing, nobody seems to turn down the offer, lol. I have also in the past picked up yards of garden compost from the dumps, but I try to stay clear of that these days.

Thanks for letting me share in your thread.
same boat one with birds hi brotherin law has rideing mules soo ,i have access to both .been three years now 1 2 ton dump bed of river bottom dirt been add together past three years .stir with front end loader on tractor. pile two starts next week clean coop i help but this old boy helps me to .and before it gets in the 90s

MilkyTrichomes

MilkyTrichomes

My worm bins, 5 gal buckets are outside because of the smell and I get lots of bugs/critters. I don’t want to use this for my indoor plants because of eggs/larvae. How do you handle castings raised outside?

MilkyTrichomes

MilkyTrichomes

woot bumping this cause guess whos starting his worm farm again! After giving away all my worms and dumping all my compost into my previous address garden I quit the vermicomposting industry, Lot of life changes happened and i just couldn't keep up with the business anymore.

But I'm starting again! Pics when my damn worms get here, Ordered 2000 from georgia, They died in transit, usps sends me a letter they won't deliver the shit it smells.. lol

So now i ordered 2000 from ohio.. lets hope these make it.

Got a 20? gallon bin started with pure coco and i'll toss in some cow compost for them to eat for now, Also going to once again be feeding them Azomite to spur reproduction, and purina worm chow its 18$ for a 50lb bag which will get me thru till i can start producing my own scraps again.

Anyone else got worms? I know OD got that chicken scratch pile going!
I’ve had good luck with Uncle Jim’s worm farm, strong viable worms and great castings

Top Bottom