Worth maintaining soil in the offseason somehow?

• Thread starter HedgedAndLevered
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HedgedAndLevered

HedgedAndLevered

I've been putting a lot of effort into maintaining some great soil during my first grow, which is outside. I know that I'll be harvesting in 6 weeks or so, and for where I live, thats going to be the start of Winter, so obviously I'm not going to be growing again until the spring. I was wondering if there's any advantage to maintaining my soil in the offseason, and how to do it if so. I have enough room for the pot with soil to be inside during the winter, and if there's anything that would help the grow next season to get off to a good start, I'd like to do it.
For instance, its roots are covered in mycorrhizae, and plenty of healthy bacteria.
Do I just cut at the base of the stem, leaving the roots in place? "No-Till", or cut the roots up and mix them back into the soil?
No hope of saving the mycorrhizae or no real reason to? Maybe the roots of a new grow are nearly 100% coated in it anyway just with regular feedings, so no need to maintain?

Just if its as simple as mixing in some aphrodite's extraction (glucose/sucrose mix) with water every couple weeks or whatever, might as well. If it makes no difference at all, I'll just leave the soil in the attic (which will be pretty close to freezing in the winter)
Or is there some other plant which can be easily maintained with just ambient indoor light (not grow lights) that would be helpful to grow in the soil during the winter? Essentially, "crop rotation" for cannabis?

mancorn

mancorn

Most farmers use a cover crop so the dirt isn’t left exposed. Tons of info (and places to purchase seed cheaply) online. And some farmers use hemp for a cover crop.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

You won't keep the microbial population alive without living roots in the soil. That's not to say they wouldn't repopulate next year, but there is a lag time.

One of the big discoveries in regenerative farming is that yields are higher when there are always living roots in the soil — they plant the summer corn or whatever crop directly into the still-living winter cover crop. This goes a little beyond no-till farming.

Other than that, keep adding compost or kitchen scraps that will quickly become compost.

HedgedAndLevered

HedgedAndLevered

Hm ok
So really just growing anything would help just to maintain the soil?
Or at least make sure I plant something that will grow enough roots to cover the whole pot

mancorn

mancorn

You say you have “a pot” and since it’s movable doesn’t sound that big. So you can just grow some mixed greens and have a salad. (Albeit you also said it’s freezing so maybe not.)

Personally if I had just 1 pot of dirt I would just dump it into the compost pile (or start one) while throwing on scraps and such (alfalfa) during the winter and then use this pile to fill back up your pot next year. This will also allow you to amend the dirt/compost with some organic fertilizer to make yourself a super soil. Depending on your yard situation/composting do a search on the “Berkeley method” of composting. This should easily get you a nice pile of compost in just a few months.

rayi

rayi

Azomite for minerals. Compost with Perlite and a cover crop. Next year plant right into the cover crop if you choose one that winter doesn't kill

HedgedAndLevered

HedgedAndLevered

ok
Watched a few videos on compost, looks great. I'll probably just store it in the attic through the winter, then make some compost in my yard with the soil plus some grass and strips of cardboard come spring. Thanks!

Top Bottom