Wow is Kelp expensive....Just bought a 23kg bag

• Thread starter juggernaut
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
juggernaut

juggernaut

I've heard great things about it so I'll be looking for the results.

I figure the bag will last the year.

manitoid.

manitoid.

Expensive? What did you pay? 50lbs of kelp should go for under $100 and last you a LONG TIME unless you have a huge garden.

juggernaut

juggernaut

yeah it was $175 inc tax and delivery.
I figure there was enough to last around 2 years.
Also found crushed oysters in bulk....$15 for 50lbs.
Going for prilled lime tomorrow/

Need to get
high "n" seabird guano
Azomite
composted steer manure
granular rock phosphate

Alter Ego

Alter Ego

yeah it was $175 inc tax and delivery.
I figure there was enough to last around 2 years.
Also found crushed oysters in bulk....$15 for 50lbs.
Going for prilled lime tomorrow/

Need to get
high "n" seabird guano
Azomite
composted steer manure
granular rock phosphate
Any grow store will carry a box of Guanos for $20. Its by Sunleaves, containes Mexican (high N), Jamaican (high P), Indonesian (high P) bat guano and Peruvian Seabird Guano (high N & P)
I substituted Azomite for Greensand. $10/5 lb bag.
Lowes has an organic bag of 2 cubic foot Steer Compost for $1.94

juggernaut

juggernaut

found cow manure..
going to pick it up tomorrow.
thanks for the tips.
i'm looking hard doe the seaBIRD GUANOS BUT NO LUCK HERE.
I'LL HAVE TO ORDER.

Chobble

Chobble

no beaches nearby? you can collects tons of the shit sometimes. gotta wash it of course but it's free.

Its what I do. Toss it in the blender, then let it stew for a while. Works really well :D

Chobble

Collembola

Collembola

I met a vege farmer who would scour the beach for kelp. he collected big piles of it and just dumped it straight onto the garden. I can't remember if he said he washed it or not. Don't think he did. but he wasn't using it like a mulch. he'd pile it up a foot or so deep and then plant his veges straight into it. tbh they looked really healthy.

Alter Ego

Alter Ego

Its what I do. Toss it in the blender, then let it stew for a while. Works really well :D

Chobble
If your talking about Kelp from the beach, I hope you wash off all the salty seawater first before using it. But still an excellent option nonetheless.

Chobble

Chobble

If your talking about Kelp from the beach, I hope you wash off all the salty seawater first before using it. But still an excellent option nonetheless.

Actually no, You dont want to wash off the water. Most of the reason people use salt as a fertilizer is for the Trace Minerals and for the salt etc. I only add a few tablespoons to my teas, Most people dont use more then that as per my knowledge and that much salt will be more beneficial to the plant then not. (The plant does need Salts)

You must have an industrial blender! Kelp is tough stuff.

-- iCultivate --

I got a mean blender but I always chop it up a little bit before I toss it in :P.

Chobble

iCultivate

iCultivate

Regular kitchen blender? I want one that can do kelp.

-- iCultivate --

J

Jellybean

hi juggernaut. if youre in the sf bay area there is a spot that has top grade, fresh ocean smelling kelp for $1 a pound.

edit - just saw youre in canada on another post.

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

man thats WAY to much..

Was it the Acadian brand? Thats ridiculous

neverbreak

neverbreak

does anyone know if other seaweeds have the same benefits as kelp does for plants?

neverbreak

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Kelp and seaweed extract is more expensive compared to other organic fertilizers like bat guano, blood meal, bone meal and other stuff like that but it doesn't take alot to get the desired amount of potassium.

S

Schwoop

Not all kelps are created equal. Kelp Processed with Phos Acid and the lIke's are arent the good ones, Also where the kelp comes from and how it's aged is also important. Same goes for Humics and Fulvics, Bone, blood, feathermeal etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom