wreckage 5.5K gavita, scrog+sog

• Thread starter oxanaca
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oxanaca

oxanaca

I always try and keep my humidity at or above 50% while lights are on. Even 60% early flower stage but then want the humidity to lower around 40% when lights go off so the plants can transpire better.
On the cloning like yum yum was saying i take my dome off daily wipe it out with a paper towel and then let it super humid again. I keep a heat mat below also at about 75 degrees. I've noticed i can watch how much moisture builds up on the inside of the dome so this lets me know when to add a little water. I only add water one time in the cloning stage right about 1 week after cutting. With cloning it's all about letting your medium dry up as much as possible without ill effects because this triggers the roots to shoot looking for more water. If the medium always stays most in the cloning stage the little nubs or calic's break off and no roots will form. First week lets those nubs form then light watering with a little iba and by day 10-14 mass roots always ime. Thanks for those links killer reads. I love skunkpharmresearch such a wealth of information very deadicated just like everyone hear.

thanks that helps alot. for the record though you dont mist the cuttings directly ever right you just water them at 7 days.
do you do anything special for lighting, i just have them in the shade near my other plants. air temp is about 71-72F. ill add the heat mats again set to 75F.

hopefully i can get $1500 together for more gavitas quick.

SpiderKid

SpiderKid

I would keep mine under a humidity screen w/600 above. Under the 3mil plastic i would let my cuts get 75-80% humidity the first two weeks. After I removed the screen, they would explode in the mapito. They were already getting 12/12's at this point.

Ccc
Aa
SpiderKid

SpiderKid

This was 20 days later. About 25 inches of growth and it was in a 30L bin w/ three other plants.

Xxx
O

Organicyumyum

thanks ill integrate that into my strategy.

what do you do for lighting, and do you mist your cuttings or just get them super humid?

what about substrate temp. and air temp?

i use rockwool. i also use a cloning gel like clonex. Honestly the clonex is the only non organic thing I use in my garden. You can just clone with plain water as well. I clone under a 125 watt compact fluorescent. I lightly mist the dome lid when I replace it. Alice D is spot on in saying that the goal is to let your medium start to slightly dry as it will force the clones roots to search for water. however, its a touchy thing because if they dry out too much they are stunted or dead. With rockwool I rarely have to rewet it before they root, and if I do its like Alice said, once after about a week. I dont use a heat mat. They are hard to dial in if they don't have a temp gauge. If you keep the fluorescent close enough to the dome lid it will keep your clones plenty warm unless of course it's middle of winter and the floor is really cold. But in Cali that is rarely the case.

oxanaca

oxanaca

I would keep mine under a humidity screen w/600 above. Under the 3mil plastic i would let my cuts get 75-80% humidity the first two weeks. After I removed the screen, they would explode in the mapito. They were already getting 12/12's at this point.

what is a humidity screen? is that just a piece of plastic or something a little more high tech?

oxanaca

oxanaca

i use rockwool. i also use a cloning gel like clonex. Honestly the clonex is the only non organic thing I use in my garden. You can just clone with plain water as well. I clone under a 125 watt compact fluorescent. I lightly mist the dome lid when I replace it. Alice D is spot on in saying that the goal is to let your medium start to slightly dry as it will force the clones roots to search for water. however, its a touchy thing because if they dry out too much they are stunted or dead. With rockwool I rarely have to rewet it before they root, and if I do its like Alice said, once after about a week. I dont use a heat mat. They are hard to dial in if they don't have a temp gauge. If you keep the fluorescent close enough to the dome lid it will keep your clones plenty warm unless of course it's middle of winter and the floor is really cold. But in Cali that is rarely the case.

ive rooted most of the clones ive taken in my life in rockwool, but recently i decided to switch over to coco/ medium vermiculite 75/25% as it costs me nothing. maybe $0.07 for a 72 plug tray. versus $13 for a 72 tray of grodan rockwool. i also mix my own dip and grow using IBA and NAA dissolved in alcohol, it costs like 4 bucks to make 16OZ instead of $40-50 for the name brand. havent quite figured out how to make the gel yet. a friend told me there was some kind of cellulose based product i might be able to use but then again he might have been talking out of his ass.

i have 3 heat mats and one thermostat with a probe. i sometimes use it but ive never checked for consistant temperatures. i may experiment with this though using my digital meat thermometer with remote probe. i keep my clones off the floor on the wheel around cart in my pictures.

i took your guyses advice and added the domes to my trays with the vents closed. i also stopped misting and am airing them out twice or once a day. they look pepped up and i think i wont be loosing any more clones. thanks guys.

SpiderKid

SpiderKid

what is a humidity screen? is that just a piece of plastic or something a little more high tech?

Ya it's just 3mil plastic. In my tents, it was a frame that hung down w/ wrapped plastic suspended over my trays. It had the sides flapped over so the area became enclosed around my plants. I would leave plastic trays filled with water inside on top of the mapito medium. They would be in 12/12 like this for 14 days so the root system could really develope. When you pull this screen away the plants explode upward.

I could keep my 600's 4 inches over the plastic with my intake blowing across the top of the plastic.

oxanaca

oxanaca

hey i just wanted to thank organicyumyum and alice D.
ive been leaving the domes on except when i take it off to air it out and mist the inside of the dome. and the last tray i took is looking spot on, it should be rooted up soon, and all my propagation problems should be over for good,o r at least until i start micropropagating. thanks and you guys rock:cool::):greedy:

oxanaca

oxanaca

Ya it's just 3mil plastic. In my tents, it was a frame that hung down w/ wrapped plastic suspended over my trays. It had the sides flapped over so the area became enclosed around my plants. I would leave plastic trays filled with water inside on top of the mapito medium. They would be in 12/12 like this for 14 days so the root system could really develope. When you pull this screen away the plants explode upward.

I could keep my 600's 4 inches over the plastic with my intake blowing across the top of the plastic.

your not worried about starting a fire, like this? why not just air cool your light and humdify your tent using an ultrasonic humidifier.

SpiderKid

SpiderKid

No my plastic did not get hot, the 600 was an open wing, six inches above was not an issue they loved it with the air blowing below the light, above the plastic..

But the overall idea is what matters, i've seen hennepdesk use the same thing in a 24 x 24 room with 1000 plants/clones in mapito. its all about high humidity during veg ( the first 14 days even in 12/12 is veg ). So you give them tons of humidity, then when you remove the screen everything takes off. You can run a test some day on the side. Just use a clone & do the same thing on a small scale, then pull the plastic, humidity after 14 days see what does better the next 20.

oxanaca

oxanaca

so ive decided to build my screen and fire up my scrog. question though it has 1 inch grids,
im wondering what other peoples opinions are should i leave it at 1 inch squares or should i cut it and make it 2 inch square grids

DSCN0409

i now have way more than enough clones taken to complete my mission. check this out.

clones vented and misted due to unnessisary wilting. heavy damp off due to cuttings remaining wet of extented periods of time
DSCN0407

clones not vented and not misted( no losses to damp off, no wilt) im applying about 100 +- 15 Umoles PPFD indirect hps light.
DSCN0404

i think im going to

Alice D

Alice D

thanks that helps alot. for the record though you dont mist the cuttings directly ever right you just water them at 7 days.
do you do anything special for lighting, i just have them in the shade near my other plants. air temp is about 71-72F. ill add the heat mats again set to 75F.

hopefully i can get $1500 together for more gavitas quick.
Personally no I don't ever mist them. I figure they stay plenty moist from the super humidity caused by the heat mat below. I usually soak oasis cubes in either Olivia's or clone x so there is a little IBA and nutes for the leaves to soak up until they root. I've had the best results using a cheap t-10(I think that's the regular most common size) to light the clones. They don't really need light to root but they do need it to live so the smallest amount works for me. I will set a two bulb fixture on top of two 5 gl buckets just far enough apart to fit my mat and tray and dome. Then I take a blanket and toss it over the top of the light and clones. This way it stays nice and warm in there. Sometimes if I can't wipe the dome everyday or twice a day I'll crack the vents in the dome or cut the top of the nipples on the dome just so they can breath a little. The more you wipe out that moisture the faster you get roots. IME. Never want any standing water in the trays. This is why some trays come pre drilled with little holes. Standing water=no roots. Also I use dip and grow @1:10 ratio or 10ml dip n grow 100 ml water soak cuts in RO water immediately after cutting from your nicest shoots of your moms. This way they are nice and hydrated. Sometimes I'll soak over night but sometimes only 30 min with same results but then before I stick into cubes soak in the dip n grow 10-20 seconds and then I stick next to the hole. I don't use their hole. Any good rooting gel will work fine too. Another trick Ed Rosenthal taught me was to cut your cutting right below a node. Then grab that node and tear it off in a down ward pull. That calyx where the node was always pops roots out of it before bare stem. I've watched this in my cloning machine for years too. Last trick he taught me was to delete most(not all) the water leaves. I usually leave two from the top growth but then cut the tips off all the leaves on your cutting. What this does is,cutting immediately realizes it's water reserve is low and it has no roots to uptake any water so it focuses on roots and nothing else till. Another good reason for the generic lighting. I hope this helps you should start seeing roots in 8-15 days with 100% survival rate. Ya Ed taught a little class in 1998 in Berkely,Ca to some 215 patients. I think there was only 6-7 of us that day at a random co-op. Good dude he is. Very knowledgable to say the least. Sorry for the late response I've been swamped.
On another note (I hope this is cool with the farm moderators,if not let me know)I got a pretty good deal buying a bunch of e-papillons (very similar to gavita) 1000w lights and could pass on the savings to fellow farmers. I think I have 6-8 extra left. This was a one time right place right time deal I got from their rep. Just a FYI. I seen you mention you needed to save up to get a couple more gavitas,this is why I say something. Not sure what the gavitas retail for but I know I can save you around 20-30% of the e-paps retail price if your interested. PM me if so. Shipping would be the only issue. I'm in Nor Cal so if your semi close this might help. Brand new in box never been fired and they have the good Phillips bulbs. Take care.

oxanaca

oxanaca

Personally no I don't ever mist them. I figure they stay plenty moist from the super humidity caused by the heat mat below. I usually soak oasis cubes in either Olivia's or clone x so there is a little IBA and nutes for the leaves to soak up until they root. I've had the best results using a cheap t-10(I think that's the regular most common size) to light the clones. They don't really need light to root but they do need it to live so the smallest amount works for me. I will set a two bulb fixture on top of two 5 gl buckets just far enough apart to fit my mat and tray and dome. Then I take a blanket and toss it over the top of the light and clones. This way it stays nice and warm in there. Sometimes if I can't wipe the dome everyday or twice a day I'll crack the vents in the dome or cut the top of the nipples on the dome just so they can breath a little. The more you wipe out that moisture the faster you get roots. IME. Never want any standing water in the trays. This is why some trays come pre drilled with little holes. Standing water=no roots. Also I use dip and grow @1:10 ratio or 10ml dip n grow 100 ml water soak cuts in RO water immediately after cutting from your nicest shoots of your moms. This way they are nice and hydrated. Sometimes I'll soak over night but sometimes only 30 min with same results but then before I stick into cubes soak in the dip n grow 10-20 seconds and then I stick next to the hole. I don't use their hole. Any good rooting gel will work fine too. Another trick Ed Rosenthal taught me was to cut your cutting right below a node. Then grab that node and tear it off in a down ward pull. That calyx where the node was always pops roots out of it before bare stem. I've watched this in my cloning machine for years too. Last trick he taught me was to delete most(not all) the water leaves. I usually leave two from the top growth but then cut the tips off all the leaves on your cutting. What this does is,cutting immediately realizes it's water reserve is low and it has no roots to uptake any water so it focuses on roots and nothing else till. Another good reason for the generic lighting. I hope this helps you should start seeing roots in 8-15 days with 100% survival rate. Ya Ed taught a little class in 1998 in Berkely,Ca to some 215 patients. I think there was only 6-7 of us that day at a random co-op. Good dude he is. Very knowledgable to say the least. Sorry for the late response I've been swamped.
On another note (I hope this is cool with the farm moderators,if not let me know)I got a pretty good deal buying a bunch of e-papillons (very similar to gavita) 1000w lights and could pass on the savings to fellow farmers. I think I have 6-8 extra left. This was a one time right place right time deal I got from their rep. Just a FYI. I seen you mention you needed to save up to get a couple more gavitas,this is why I say something. Not sure what the gavitas retail for but I know I can save you around 20-30% of the e-paps retail price if your interested. PM me if so. Shipping would be the only issue. I'm in Nor Cal so if your semi close this might help. Brand new in box never been fired and they have the good Phillips bulbs. Take care.

hey thanks for all the tips, it must have taken a while to write that. im really glad i started this thread. i especially want to thank you for confirming my suspicions surrounding the amount of light needed for rooting

unfortunately i live a thousand miles from norcal. and am already sourcing gavita 1K fixtures for $460 shipped no tax. i wish you well though i hope you find good homes for those E-paps

L

larebowm

hey dude which product are you recomending. i have already purchased their gelzan, gellan gum, micropropagaion agar type 1 and 2. but these form a very stiff gel much like jello. do they sell a product that would yeild a weak gel much like clonex gel
http://www.amazon.com/Clonex-CLO100-Rooting-Compound-100ML/dp/B004Q3NN4W
Use more water you can thicken or dilute by the amount of water used. Once mixed and cured I don't think I'd try to reconstitute but it may work.

Alice D

Alice D

hey thanks for all the tips, it must have taken a while to write that. im really glad i started this thread. i especially want to thank you for confirming my suspicions surrounding the amount of light needed for rooting

unfortunately i live a thousand miles from norcal. and am already sourcing gavita 1K fixtures for $460 shipped no tax. i wish you well though i hope you find good homes for those E-paps
No worries buddy I've had so many farmers help me out here I like to try and do the same. Also try and make sure what im saying doesn't get interpreted wrong so I tend to include small minor details. Ya with shipping be 1000 miles your probably paying just a hair more than I could of got these paps out to you. There pretty heavy. Are you pretty happy with the gavitas I just fired up a half dozen of the paps so time will tell. Getting them for just under 400$ which is a little more than I'm used to paying for a large adjust a wing with solis tek 1000w ballast and one of their 4k bulbs,about 50$ more but I've heard these double ended bulbs are worth every penny. These paps are very hot to say the least. Sitting in between 2 adjust a wings when I'm under a pap I can definitely feel it. Good luck hit me up if you ever have any questions.

oxanaca

oxanaca

Use more water you can thicken or dilute by the amount of water used. Once mixed and cured I don't think I'd try to reconstitute but it may work.

excellent ill try it with some agar.

hey are you a science guy?

Top Bottom