yellow and brown bubbly on first true leaves

• Thread starter HedgedAndLevered
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HedgedAndLevered

HedgedAndLevered

Germinated this and moved it to outside. I have Great Lakes Water Only soil (Peat Moss, Coconut coir, composted spelt hulls, Blood Meal, Bone Meal, Feather Meal, compost)
Shortly thereafter the leaves started deteriorating. New leaves look ok...
I have 2 mid-flower plants out there doing great, and didn't see this in any grow last season. The only thing I did differently this time is till some Pridelands Veg into the mix before the transplant. Any idea what this is?
Hoping the growth of new leaves helps the seedling recover fast enough to outrun this. Figured the leaves werent doing much in this state, so I removed them

Yellow and brown bubbly on first true leaves

Yellow and brown bubbly on first true leaves 2

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

How is the pH? The growing tip looks a bit on the pale yellow side.

What are your watering habits? Is it possible you're over watering, and maybe getting water or another liquid on the leaves?

HedgedAndLevered

HedgedAndLevered

not sure on pH, but this is just straight out of the bag...
Its kinda more expensive soil, I figured there shouldn't be those kind of problems out of the box

Maybe a little splash at first, but once I saw the first few brown spots I started being really careful about that

I think it may be flies? There was what looked like a housefly sitting on the leaf when I just went to check on it. Do they excrete digestive juices onto the surface of the plant? would explain its shape and reaction

got some yellow sticky fly traps that have worked great before

HedgedAndLevered

HedgedAndLevered

Also, I just did *one* feeding with some NFTGs at recommended dosages but this had already started happening by that point.
Before that its just been some mycorrhizae, root aid, and EZ Tea (veg)

doubt I'm overwatering, they're in fabric pots and I'm not afraid to give them a day off if the soil is too damp, which I did yesterday

HedgedAndLevered

HedgedAndLevered

I think it was the flies. put up some yellow sticky traps which caught lots of large flies and tons of tiny ones. No further problems
In fact, not sure if it was pruning the bottom two leaves that did this or not, but my plant now has what looks like 3 main stems, the first 2 nodes are growing significantly faster/thicker than the top node and the leaves look messed up but are getting more horizontal coverage than the normal shape . Whatever happened, I think it greatly improved the growth pattern. lucky.

20220823 155337

It looks like those leaves and likely the entire meristem was burnt. Try to not water the leaves when the sun is blaring.I believe NFTG is meant to be phd to 6.4 you should probably have an idea of what your ph is if that is your line of choice.

HedgedAndLevered

HedgedAndLevered

yeah, got a good ph meter, and its been 6.2-6.4 without any ph control, so safe to assume its been that for the last few weeks

true, could have been sunlight lensing rather than flies. Being really careful about that now. Trying to just water the soil and absorb/spread around any stray drops.

Latest posts

Top Bottom