Yellow leaves, aphids, gnats...need help.

• Thread starter VapeIt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
V

VapeIt

I am in Coco/Perlite.
4th week of 12/12.
Hand water/feed every 2 days in 4 and 5 gal pots.
I am using H&G A&B, Top Boost, Roots Excel, bud XL. All just under the recommended dosages.

I have been trying to get rid of Root Aphids this last week.
I may have used too many products, but they were killing my plants fast.
Friday I used an Azamax Drench. Monday they looked like this.

(Last 2 weeks I used Sucrashield and then Ortho Lawn and Garden)

What can I do now? Any way for them to recover?

Thanks for any help.

Yellow leaves aphids gnatsneed help
Yellow leaves aphids gnatsneed help 2
Yellow leaves aphids gnatsneed help 3
Yellow leaves aphids gnatsneed help 4
the rrock

the rrock

the buds look to be still growing,i would be interested in what to use to help them recover also

H

HowardHunt

I've heard that Azamax is the best. There is some powder as well that can be mixed into a res to get rid of them but I'm not sure of the name off hand, I'll have to give a look.

Are you in RO? Honestly it looks like you could have some problems beyond the bugs. H/G can be pretty testy around that fourth week if you are kicking it into high gear and your coco is in anyway mended.

V

VapeIt

I do use RO. I hand water every 2 days. I have had trouble figuring out a proper schedule and amount to feed.

I used Azamax drench last week, that's when my leaves all turned yellow.
I will flush them today with RO/PH'd and FloraKleen.

~xO Kakalak Ox~

~xO Kakalak Ox~

Calyx Bros. Seed Co.
Def needs nitrogen. Good quick source would be liquid fish. Everything else is from overwatering. Let them dry out well between watering. Also after you water make sure to increase the surface are of your soil by churning the first 1/2".

V

VapeIt

I have covered the Coco with 1/2" of play sand.
Should I still churn sand after watering?

Thanks.

~xO Kakalak Ox~

~xO Kakalak Ox~

Calyx Bros. Seed Co.
It will dry faster if you do preventing gnats eggs from developing.

Edit: Add some DE in with the sand also helps.

E

EZnot

We've had the leaves turn somewhat yellow after an Azamax drench, but they came back ok. Hope yours survive - without the aphids! Advice from 3 different growers in Cheesehead land - stick graphite pencils or the graphite sticks from the retractable pencils in the soil with mothers - keeps aphids away. Anybody ever hear of this? After a bout with the aphids, I'm tempted to try it.

F

FoCo

Did any of you people who are giving advice actually read the original post???

Def needs nitrogen. Good quick source would be liquid fish. Everything else is from overwatering. Let them dry out well between watering. Also after you water make sure to increase the surface are of your soil by churning the first 1/2".

:mad0233:

Nitrogen deficiency?? Did you notice the burnt tips?

Overwatering?? He is in coco not soil! You can water coco twice a day and not overwater!

He says right in his post what the issue is-
I have been trying to get rid of Root Aphids this last week.

What can I do now? Any way for them to recover?

No. Sorry. At this point, there is nothing you can do. The plants know that they are done for and are making a last ditch effort to make a few seeds and pass on their genes. Your plants dont look like they'd be worth saving... they wont add much mass or develop much more at this point... there is just no way for the plants to manufacture energy and keep truckin.

Good job IDing your problem, though. Make sure that you get rid of the aphids for your next run and you should be good to go.

Peep this thread for a ton of great info on the plague that is the Root Aphid-
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=159960

BTW-
You arent using Roots Organic Soilless mix are you? I am wondering if this is where people have been getting the aphids from.

V

VapeIt

FoCo,
I am only on page 7 of that link you posted.
So many products have been discussed that I have lost track.
I am interested in the one you are talking about here:

MSG 101
"Originally Posted by CovertCrops View Post
FO.CO- how is the spectracide working?"

What is it and where can I get it?
When I searched, they seem to have several products.
Is this a Home Depot or OSH item? How much did you use and do you still recommend it?

Only 3 of my 36 plants look as bad as the pic I posted.
18 of the plants are still doing fairly well. So, I do not want to scrap the whole run right now.

It looks like a couple of the ones that are the worst off are making seed pods. I really do not think I have a male anywhere. Is that possible?

Thanks for the help.

F

FoCo

Only 3 of my 36 plants look as bad as the pic I posted.
18 of the plants are still doing fairly well. So, I do not want to scrap the whole run right now.
Ok Ok, yea if you have plants that still have plenty of green on them then you shouldnt scrap the garden.

But you need to take action NOW or else everything will be fucked real soon.

FoCo,
I am only on page 7 of that link you posted.
So many products have been discussed that I have lost track.
I am interested in the one you are talking about here:

MSG 101
"Originally Posted by CovertCrops View Post
FO.CO- how is the spectracide working?"

What is it and where can I get it?
When I searched, they seem to have several products.
Is this a Home Depot or OSH item? How much did you use and do you still recommend it?

Let me be clear: there is only one way to actually get rid of the aphids, and that is Imidacloprid. Unfortunately, that is a fully systemic pesticide and under no circumstances should it be used during flower.

Since you are already halfway through flower, you are going to need to use a "kill on contact" pesticide to kill as many aphids as possible and slow damage.

I wasnt too clear about IDing the "Spectracide" product, but that would be their 'Triazicide' liquid. This is by far the best "kill on contact" option. I only saw improvements in the condition of my plants after its application. Follow the manufacturer's recommendations for application rates. Be careful with it... it is dangerous poison.

I also recommend you take some steps to repair the damage that the aphids have done. Hygrozyme, Liquid Kelp, Superthrive, and/or H202 may beneficial in your situation.

Also, let your medium dry out as much as you safely can between waterings, this will help slow the reproductive cycle of the aphids, which depends on water.

It looks like a couple of the ones that are the worst off are making seed pods. I really do not think I have a male anywhere. Is that possible?

Thanks for the help.

They could be hermieing in unusual ways due to the massive amounts of stress from the bugs... I saw some strange green balls in my buds that didnt look like 'nanners or female bud parts. Pollination is obviously unlikely.

I would honestly just throw these really sick looking plants out... the bud wont ripen properly anyway and there are thousands of aphids in the containers.

L

lil miss lone

Ok my friend I can help you. I'll throw up pics if you like. I have had/do have this same prob in flower and you can beat it! And save your crop.

In Veg they are all gone now, just trying to heal the root damage.

In Flower (since we Can't use Chemicals at this stage) I do an every-three-days Religiously soil (or medium We use coco and perlite) drench with per 500ml RO water 8ml Azatrol and 1ml SM-90. Your not going to get rid of them entirely, keep that in mind, until you stop flowering to clean out your room, start over with healthy cuts treated in veg etc, etc. The battle can be won my friend, its good you caught on to the problem (aphids) now and can save em.

L

lil miss lone

I would honestly just throw these really sick looking plants out... the bud wont ripen properly anyway and there are thousands of aphids in the containers.

On the other hand, come to think of it, I was right on top of the aphid problem from almost day 1. I took another look at your pics, and I kind of agree, it depends on what you need/want the weed for. The last time we flowered stuff out my ladies looked like yours, yield was waaay short of what it should have been, the buds seemed to not mature, were kindof dry... It was worth it to me to finish, but I didn't have a handle on the problem yet, had I known then what I know now... I'd have scrapped em, cleaned up, treated veg and started over from treated cuts.
What I mean to say is if it is worth it to you, go ahead and finish, but know you'll have inferior smoke. Good luck, and do the Azatrol thing, if your going to continue...

S

solforever

Just did some reasearch and found out i have these root aphids also. I flowered my plants 18 days ago when they were 6 inches tall. The growth has been very good up to the last couple of days when i noticed a slow down in growth and a yellowing of leaves. I also checked the roots and noticed they were brown and dying. Was baffled on what it could be decided to look at the roots closer and found little white aphids moving around.

I just did a light treatment of Bayer tree and shrub to see if this will help, don't want to waste my whole crop by starting new. Here are some pics of the plants at day 19 they were growing so fast and then all of a sudden stopped. This is my first grow in my new setup. You can see that the leaves are starting to turn lime green and yellow. Looks like some kind of deficiency but it is the root aphids causing havoc on the roots. I bought 5 clones from a dispensary and think they came from the clones, i never had this problem before.

IMAG0035.jpg

IMAG0036.jpg

IMAG0038.jpg

IMAG0037.jpg

IMAG0040.jpg

S

solforever

I am currently in day 17 of flower and have a huge root aphid infestation. I flowered the plants when they were 6 inches and the plants exploded in growth until the past 3 days. I noticed the leaves were turning lime green/yellow and the roots were beginning to turn brown. Under closer inspection of the roots i saw all these little white aphids moving around. I decided to do some research and found out the were root aphids. Did more research and found a thread that was 70 pages long on what people used and effectiveness.

I've decided that i will use a light concentration of bayer tree and shrub. I'm growing in hydro and found out that Imidacloprid is systemic but the plants break it down in 7-10 days. You run into problems when you grow in soil and you can't flush the Imidacloprid out of the soil and the plant will still be absorbing it. Since i am in hyrdo i willl be be able to flush the complete system with pure water for a couple days. Will update if it helps my system. Here are some pics of what my plants look like at day 18 of flowering and starting to show signs of root aphid infestation.

IMAG0035.jpg

IMAG0036.jpg

IMAG0038.jpg

IMAG0037.jpg

B

Buddy Hemphill

Have you guys read the bottle on the Bayer? Its intended for ORNAMENTALS.

Using this stuff in flower is dangerous. To say the least.

OP.....I wouldnt even try to save them. The bud is gonna be larf if root aphids caused that damage. (Have you squeezed and flowers?)Save your time, elctricity, and headache. Chop them down, go on a death campaign against bugs, and start over with a clean slate.

There is no way for those to recuperate from that kind of root damage at 4 weeks into flower....not enough to make the plants yeild properly, IMHO.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The OP has to have either harvested or torn those plants down since October.

B

brookstown

yea i know maiden but if no one has said anything maybe he still has the same practice. $.02

Top Bottom