Yellow New Growth During Vegetation

• Thread starter BigBlonde
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sunasun

Sunasun

The plants started wilting yesterday, which was day five of no watering. We gave both plants about a half gallon of water. They responded quickly, just as Aqua Man said they would. Today the plants look good, but there's still some yellowing. A day after the first watering, they look about the same as they did the last day without water--so no observable change. Now that we have a better understanding of how to water, we can move on to the next learning opportunity.

We finally received our pH test kit. Our water tested at about 7.5 using a colormetric test. A friendly neighbor had the same result. I suspected our water was slightly alkaline. So we'll need to lower the pH. We need something that's best for a few plants growing in soil. At this point, I'm only focusing on adjusting the input water, as it is the next obvious problem. I've been reading about lowering pH, it seems a product like "General Hydroponics PH Down" would be best for my purposes. The product description indicates it can be used to condition water for soil growing.

In other news, we ordered a second 120 Watt light for our 4x4 tent. It should arrive in a few days and we'll before we get to the flowering stage. We're really starting to think ahead to flowering. Before we get there, however, I'm wondering about how to add a second light without stressing the plants and may post about it.
These are still in 10 gallon pots, correct? If so, they need more than a half gallon of water at a time to fully saturate. They need closer to 3 gallons of water to saturate completely.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Measure some if the runoff to see what the ph in the soil is. Imo you dont need to ph water. If tou jeed to lower soil ph aomething like aluminum sulfate is a good option but you should test the soil ph before doing so.

If you can link your water report i can better tell you if there is anything in there of concern and if hardness may or may not be an issue. Ph is a result of acid to alkaline nothing more.

Considering the trouble I've had with over watering, I haven't had any runoff. I only see small amounts on the sides of the fabric containers, and that is rapidly sucked back in. I see Sunasun's recommendation to give them more water (when watering, of course). That explains the lack of runoff.

Starting with testing the soil instead of the water sure makes a lot of sense. I'll do a soil pH test. I guess that will have to wait till I water again.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

These are still in 10 gallon pots, correct? If so, they need more than a half gallon of water at a time to fully saturate. They need closer to 3 gallons of water to saturate completely.
Yes. These are in 10 gallon fabric pots. Thanks. I wasn't sure how much water to add. Three gallons seems like a heck of a lot of water. I'm getting the idea, though.

Rebeccalovato777

Rebeccalovato777

Hello,

We are new to indoor growing and have a problem. The leaves are yellowing badly on one of our plants and slightly on the other plant. Just about everything we've done regarding soil, water, light, etc. as been the same. The biggest difference between the plants is that the yellow plant is several weeks older. We've searched the web and talked with a grower friend and are confused by what we've found so far. We don't know the pH and could use some advice about how to test it. We suspect the most likely problem is the soil and/or the nutrients, but we're not even sure if we have too much or too little.

Our answers to the questions for soil growers are at the bottom of the post.

This the older plant and is the worst.
View attachment 1258722

This plant is several weeks younger. There is slight yellowing.
View attachment 1258723

Edit:
In a close-up picture, I noticed the points of the leaves have white tips.
View attachment 1258726

Questions for Soil Growers:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones?
Seeds.

2. How old are your plants?
About two months. One is a few weeks older than the other.

3. How tall are your plants?
21” and 15” from the soil to the tops of the plants.

4. What size containers are they planted in?
10-gallon fabric grow bags

5. What is your soil mix?
We used MiracleGro potting soil. That may have been a mistake.

6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use?
We water daily and use tap water that has been in an open container for a day.

7. What is the pH of your water?
We don’t know and are trying to find out.

8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio?
We’ve been using a water-soluble 18-18-21 fertilizer that’s marketed for vegetables.

9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?
No.

10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")
We have a LED light: The Viparspectra XS2000. It has Samsung LM301B Diodes and is 240 Watts of power.

11. How close are your lights to the plants?
31" and 25" from the light to the tops of the plants. The light is at 90% power.

12. What size is your grow space in square feet?
We have a 48" x 48" x 80" Viparspectra enclosure.

13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?
When the lights are on, the temperature is about 78F and the humidity is about 55%.
When the lights are off, the temperature is about 66F and the humidity is about 68%.

14. What is the pH of the soil?
We don’t know and need to learn how to test it.

15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?
No.

16. How much experience do you have growing?
We’ve grown outside a few times with good results. This is our first attempt at growing inside.
Never use miracle grow on marajauna because it releases nutrients at different times when your plants don't need some of those nutrients it's giving on that cycle! With that soul it should run out of nutrients soon but not to sure maybe they need some marijuana nutrients now!

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Never use miracle grow on marajauna because it releases nutrients at different times when your plants don't need some of those nutrients it's giving on that cycle! With that soul it should run out of nutrients soon but not to sure maybe they need some marijuana nutrients now!
Thanks!

I'm pretty sure my biggest problem was watering too often. That and using Miracle Grow were some of my many learning opportunities. I'll use a better soil next time.

I bought some Fox Farm nutrients. The plants are beginning to flower now. I'm looking forward to harvesting this crop so I can begin again and do better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom