Yellow tips on new growth

• Thread starter Harry_Manback
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Harry_Manback

Harry_Manback

Hi there, I've been looking all over trying to understand what's wrong with my plants and finally coming out of lurking to ask directly.
It's my first grow, I'm growing 2 auto strains (Gorilla Cookie and Super Lemon Haze). Feeding both the same stuff using same guidelines. Using BioBizz nutes. Problem is: my Gorilla Cookies started getting yellow tips on new(mostly higher) leaves. I thought it could be a light burn, so moved my lights( mars hydro led grow lamp ts1000) up, this still happens, lowered intensity to 75% - same effect. And this only happens to GC and not Super Lemon Haze. Minding the fact that GC grew quite taller, but otherwise it's the only difference.

Growing in BioBizz All Mix, keeping PH between 6.5-7 and feeding 2x-3x times a week(2x with nutes and 1 time just water) according to BioBizz official schedule. Nutes and supps I'm using: Top Max, Fish Mix, CalMag, Bio Bloom and Bio Grow. Let me know if I missed anything important for deducting the issue!

Attached couple of pics, one shows said yellow tips and another is whole plant, so you can see that most lower leaves do not have any yellow tips, and those that have got it since they were smaller, yellowing didn't change or progress further. So I thought it couldn't be nutrient burn. But again, this is my first grow and my experience is limited to reading\observing others only.

Regards

Yellow tips on new growth
Yellow tips on new growth 2
Last edited:
Harry_Manback

Harry_Manback

it looks to me like your just a touch heavy on the nutrients but not by much, the sign is the burnt dry tips and they usually show about 5-7 days after feeding if too much.

Thank you for a reply! It's been like this for at least 2 weeks, not really progressing as-well. As I've understood nutrient burn should show it's effect on all leaves and not just new growth(again, I'm too inexperienced, so might be completely wrong). Should I use 50% of recommended nute amount further on or is flush necessary here?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
you feed 2-3 times a week, seems like a lot..
ok the gorilla, either lower the nutrients by a few ml or skip a feeding.
don’t flush.
generally a sativa leaning plant will like less food per feeding during flowering where as a indica leaning plant would more inclined to want more..
with hybrids, it’s good to know sativa/indica %

Harry_Manback

Harry_Manback

you feed 2-3 times a week, seems like a lot..
2 actual feedings and 1 just water in-between. Might've not made it clear enough.

generally a sativa leaning plant will like less food per feeding during flowering where as a indica leaning plant would more inclined to want more..

Yeah, this is what was really confusing for me! Gorilla Cookie is more indica leaning( 55% Indica / 45% Sativa ) and I've been giving it the same amount of nutes as to Super Lemon Haze( 50% Sativa, 30% Indica), yet only Gorilla showed these symptoms, that's why I was inclined to rule out nute burn.

ok the gorilla, either lower the nutrients by a few ml or skip a feeding.
don’t flush.

Will skip one of the feedings and just do 2x watering in a row, thank you so much for your advice, really appreciate it!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
ok, well let’s hope that’s it, maybe next one just water but not two in a row..
than i’d lower the nutrients by a tiny bit.. like if your giving 10 ml i’d make it 7.5ml kinda idea..
so i would continue to watch closely for new growth as the week passes.. and anything or other concerns post here, especially if things are not getting better.

Harry_Manback

Harry_Manback

So was checking plants today and one's not looking that good. I can only imagine that it's Calcium deficiency. Lower leaves are affected, not all of them, but some of the bigger fan leaves.

Will only water with calmag today and see how it goes.

IMG 20210322 144558
IMG 20210322 144534
IMG 20210322 143226
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
So was checking plants today and one's not looking that good. I can only imagine that it's Calcium deficiency. Lower leaves are affected, not all of them, but some of the bigger fan leaves.

Will only water with calmag today and see how it goes.
it’s not that and when you feed it takes up to 5 days to show if you burned etc.. any leaves that have spots etc.. will not recover, generally will slowly get worse.. so trying to diagnose everyday is not the way to go!!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
twisty leaves,, and 3 fingered odd leaves!
mmm better check for pest or mildew..
something is not right!

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

it’s not that and when you feed it takes up to 5 days to show if you burned etc.. any leaves that have spots etc.. will not recover, generally will slowly get worse.. so trying to diagnose everyday is not the way to go!!
Also, unless you use filtered or RO water, calcium is usually present in adequate amounts to "plant over-dose" amounts in municipal water supplies.

Harry_Manback

Harry_Manback

twisty leaves,, and 3 fingered odd leaves!
mmm better check for pest or mildew..
something is not right!

Checked for pests and mildew, nothing. Might there be an issue with my soil PH meter that is not showing correct PH and lockdown happening, hence the lack of calcium? Again, I'm just spitballing, cause I really can't figure out what's wrong. And this is just one plant, second one that is the same strain and getting exactly same feeding etc doesn't have this type of issue. Also, only noticed twisty leaves on that one little branch, you can see on these pics that others with spots aren't twisting(at least for now).

I knew first time won't be easy, but not knowing what exactly is wrong is the worst.

any leaves that have spots etc.. will not recover, generally will slowly get worse..

Should I remove affected leaves in this case?

Also, unless you use filtered or RO water, calcium is usually present in adequate amounts to "plant over-dose" amounts in municipal water supplies.

Yep, I'm using tap water. I never even bothered to check it for calcium contents. Figured out if I got CalMag I'll just use it with suggested dose for prevention. This also makes me think of my soil PH meter being severely inaccurate. This is a good learning experience, hope it's not too late to fix the issue tho.

Thanks for the replies and input guys, appreciate!

Last edited:
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Checked for pests and mildew, nothing. Might there be an issue with my soil PH meter that is not showing correct PH and lockdown happening, hence the lack of calcium? Again, I'm just spitballing, cause I really can't figure out what's wrong. And this is just one plant, second one that is the same strain and getting exactly same feeding etc doesn't have this type of issue.

I knew first time won't be easy, but not knowing what exactly is wrong is the worst.

Should I remove affected leaves in this case?

Yep, I'm using tap water. I never even bothered to check it for calcium contents. Figured out if I got CalMag I'll just use it with suggested dose for prevention. This also makes me think of my soil PH meter being severely inaccurate. This is a good learning experience, hope it's not too late to fix the issue tho.

Thanks for the replies and input guys, appreciate!

I'd be more worried about magnesium deficiencies if you're using straight tap water. Toxic amounts of calcium will inhibit magnesium uptake. I've got a couple of ideas for you. One is fairly inexpensive ... the other will cost you quite a bit more ... Here they are:

Least expensive:

More expensive:

3 stage water filter

That's a "get me by" installation on the cheap ... I bought the filter system off of Ebay for around $100, maybe slightly more ... it came with extra filters at that price point.
https://www.amazon.com/AQUA-CREST-P...arden+Hose+Water+Filter&qid=1616452009&sr=8-6

Harry_Manback

Harry_Manback

you mention fish mix and bio grow - are you using both when feeding? at what dose? --- you should be using fish mix during veg and grow during flower (but not both at the same time)

Hmm, this might be the issue! I've read and listened to some varied thoughts on this one and settled on one video where BioBizz rep was saying that you can just use Fish Mix as an addition throughout whole grow. I've been adding it in a slightly lesser amount. But added full recommended amount of BioGrow.

I'd be more worried about magnesium deficiencies if you're using straight tap water. Toxic amounts of calcium will inhibit magnesium uptake. I've got a couple of ideas for you. One is fairly inexpensive ... the other will cost you quite a bit more ... Here they are:

I will look into it, thank you! Since those twisted leaves got yellow\brownish exactly in the same pattern that is shown in deficiency chart. Also starts with bottom leaves too. So might it just be that with actual light burn?

Harry_Manback

Harry_Manback

also your over feeding that recently happened has caused burnt tips and has caused an uptake issue with other nutrients/minerals..
just dial it back a bit and watch the new growth.

Yeah, all this would explain the progression of plant's current condition! Watered it today, just plain water. So these lower leaves issue showed within 3 days, that's when I watered last and did an examination too, nothing looked bad except tips.

It's the beginning of their 7th week, so hopefully there's enough time to fix it. Plant itself looks quite big!

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Hmm, this might be the issue! I've read and listened to some varied thoughts on this one and settled on one video where BioBizz rep was saying that you can just use Fish Mix as an addition throughout whole grow. I've been adding it in a slightly lesser amount. But added full recommended amount of BioGrow.

I will look into it, thank you! Since those twisted leaves got yellow\brownish exactly in the same pattern that is shown in deficiency chart. Also starts with bottom leaves too. So might it just be that with actual light burn?

It's not light burn. It's nutrient burn. Do as @GNick55 suggested ... dial the nutes back some. I'd even go as far a few plain water waterings since there's salts built up in the soil ... and then cut the nutes in half when you start feeding again.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Yeah, all this would explain the progression of plant's current condition! Watered it today, just plain water. So these lower leaves issue showed within 3 days, that's when I watered last and did an examination too, nothing looked bad except tips.

It's the beginning of their 7th week, so hopefully there's enough time to fix it. Plant itself looks quite big!
it’s really not bad, just not perfect.,
so don’t worry.
3 fingered leaves could also be from light stress, changes in environment.. screwed up light schedule..

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

You won't repair the damaged leaf tissue. You can expect to see healthy new growth once your problems are worked out.

Harry_Manback

Harry_Manback

It's not light burn. It's nutrient burn. Do as @GNick55 suggested ... dial the nutes back some. I'd even go as far a few plain water waterings since there's salts built up in the soil ... and then cut the nutes in half when you start feeding again.

Will do! This time watered with plain water, next time gonna do 50% of recommended nutes and see how plant responds.

it’s really not bad, just not perfect.,
so don’t worry.
3 fingered leaves could also be from light stress, changes in environment.. screwed up light schedule..

Would've been really surprised if my first grow went perfect :D Should I remove affected big fan leaves that are in the bottom of the plant or just wait for them to die off?

Thank you both for helping me figure this out! It's very interesting, how 2 different strains react to the same feeding and conditions. This one grew really tall even with LST, yet there are visible issues, sativa ones are smaller and barely show any issues at all, forming nice buds etc. This is a great and entertaining process, really enjoying whole experience so far! Good thing I can always ask for advice from more experienced growers :)

Top Bottom