Yellow tips, some curled down, F6

• Thread starter neuromorphic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
neuromorphic

neuromorphic

Hey I am growing in 7 gallon fabric pots for two plants & one in a 5 gallon plastic with tons of holes drilled all over the sides & bottom in a living soil (detroit nutrient company).

One of my plants seemed too light green in new growth so I tried using a foliar spray with micronutrients. I was not PHing the water about a month ago but thought this could have caused the issue in this one of three plants and I used some on it and it did seem to improve. I then sprayed it again but thought why not spray the other two plants that were fine. I am unsure if this caused the issue or not. I also bought Dr. Earth all purpose organic fertilizer and used a bit less than the recommended dose and top dressed the soil and then watered it in last friday (7/17). I also did a foliar spray on all three at the same time I was watering.

I have noticed that all three plants now have tiny yellow tips at the ends of many of the upper leaves mainly & new growth mainly. I have not given any additional nutrients or sprays since 7/17.

The temps are 73 - 75 daytime & 65 - 67 at night time with RH around 50 - 60. I have a 315w CMH & a 225w HLG LED around 18 - 20" above the plants. I have uploaded some images from each of the plants. I wanted to see if anyone had any input as to whether this is a minor issue or not. The plants all appear happy and are praying as normal and are growing fast still since they are stretching right now, I switched to 12/12 on 7/17 (F6 Today).

I have attached several images of various parts of the plant.

Pic #1 is a clone of Pic #6. Pic #6 is the one that seemed too light green which is why I began with the foliar spray and also added nutrients thinking maybe it was lacking since the plant is quite large. The two oldest plants vegged for around 3 months, the clone of this one vegged for about a month. They are Mazar strain.

Yellow tips some curled down f6
Yellow tips some curled down f6 2
Yellow tips some curled down f6 3
Yellow tips some curled down f6 4
Yellow tips some curled down f6 5
Yellow tips some curled down f6 6
neuromorphic

neuromorphic

I would suggest rasing ph a bit, you may be getting some nute lockout. I do a ph of 6.6 and then drop every water to 6.2 or 3 and then start over. Makes sure you cover the ph spectrum for optimal nute intake. I would try a bit higher around 6.5 or so and see if it likes that. There is always a sweet spot but as the plant grows that sweet spot moves and you need to lead it, not chase it.

I have been giving it water at 6.4 - 6.7 ph every watering for over a month now so it seems like that wouldn't be the issue, but maybe it is.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Looks like magnesium deficiency. Add some Epsom salt (mag sulfate) or foliar with it. I don't know the dosage for foliar but 1-2g per gal with watering.

neuromorphic

neuromorphic

Looks like magnesium deficiency. Add some Epsom salt (mag sulfate) or foliar with it. I don't know the dosage for foliar but 1-2g per gal with watering.

Yeah I thought this could be potentially causing the issue. The plant has seemed to recover and the newer growth seems to be a better shade of green.
Do you think needing magnesium would have caused the tips on all the plants to become yellow?

I have attached some more pictures so they can be diagnosed better. The darkest green on the one on the left, which is a clone of the very light one appears to be doing very well. This is the color that the light one was, before new growth started coming in much lighter rapidly about 3 or 4 weeks ago. The other plant in the picture with all 3 in the back is one of the two seeds, this one always grew a bit slower than the one that turned light. I have noticed this one seems to have also gotten a bit lighter as well.

You can see on the light one the section in the middle which is where it began and those leaves are very yellowed looking, but as it grew and I added the foliar spray a few time and started changing my water ph from 7.3 to 6.3 - 6.6 it began improving. It was really drooping when it started getting really light growth but now is perky and looks fairly good.

All 3
Clone of very light one
Light one
Other seed slower grower thanl light one
neuromorphic

neuromorphic

I have added a picture of the one that became very light from July 2nd right before it happened.

IMG 15111 1
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah I thought this could be potentially causing the issue. The plant has seemed to recover and the newer growth seems to be a better shade of green.
Do you think needing magnesium would have caused the tips on all the plants to become yellow?

I have attached some more pictures so they can be diagnosed better. The darkest green on the one on the left, which is a clone of the very light one appears to be doing very well. This is the color that the light one was, before new growth started coming in much lighter rapidly about 3 or 4 weeks ago. The other plant in the picture with all 3 in the back is one of the two seeds, this one always grew a bit slower than the one that turned light. I have noticed this one seems to have also gotten a bit lighter as well.

You can see on the light one the section in the middle which is where it began and those leaves are very yellowed looking, but as it grew and I added the foliar spray a few time and started changing my water ph from 7.3 to 6.3 - 6.6 it began improving. It was really drooping when it started getting really light growth but now is perky and looks fairly good.
Possibly.

Are you giving a good wet dry cycle? how often do you water?

Might be pushing the lights to hard also.

can try using light meter by my mobile tools dev to check the lux

neuromorphic

neuromorphic

Possibly.

Are you giving a good wet dry cycle? how often do you water?

Might be pushing the lights to hard also.

can try using light meter by my mobile tools dev to check the lux

I water around once every 3 to 4 days depending on how light the pots feel. In the images I just put up they look slightly droopy, but that's just because it was 5 minutes before the lights went off. All day long the leaves are "praying" and look very perky and happy. I have been giving the ones in the 7 gallon pots around 2 - 2.5 gallons of water adjusted to anywhere from 6.4 to 6.6. The 5 gallon pot I give around 1.5 gallons. I did move them a bit closer recently since I switched to 12/12 so that could potentially be causing the yellow tips?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I water around once every 3 to 4 days depending on how light the pots feel. In the images I just put up they look slightly droopy, but that's just because it was 5 minutes before the lights went off. All day long the leaves are "praying" and look very perky and happy. I have been giving the ones in the 7 gallon pots around 2 - 2.5 gallons of water adjusted to anywhere from 6.4 to 6.6. The 5 gallon pot I give around 1.5 gallons. I did move them a bit closer recently since I switched to 12/12 so that could potentially be causing the yellow tips?
Increased demand for K could also do that. Or excess calcium with can affect both K and mag uptake but i think for the most part they are just hungry overall and Mag is showing first.

neuromorphic

neuromorphic

Increased demand for K could also do that. Or excess calcium with can affect both K and mag uptake but i think for the most part they are just hungry overall and Mag is showing first.

It does seem to have done it more since I switched the flower. The problem is I gave it the Dr. Earth dry amendment before watering Friday and also foliar sprayed all 3. And I switched to flower this same day as well. So the tips could have been burned from the foliar spray, the dry fertilizers, or indicate a need for something, such as K as you said. I just got Dr. Earth Flower girl which is 3-9-4.

I figured that maybe the plants that became more light just needed additional nutrients, but it seems odd that if they did need them, then why would it have burned the tips when given some? I gave the dry amendments to all three and all three now have yellow tips. They seem to be growing fine though besides this.

Now I don't know about giving it the Flower Girl or not. Quite the dilemma lol.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It does seem to have done it more since I switched the flower. The problem is I gave it the Dr. Earth dry amendment before watering Friday and also foliar sprayed all 3. And I switched to flower this same day as well. So the tips could have been burned from the foliar spray, the dry fertilizers, or indicate a need for something, such as K as you said. I just got Dr. Earth Flower girl which is 3-9-4.

I figured that maybe the plants that became more light just needed additional nutrients, but it seems odd that if they did need them, then why would it have burned the tips when given some? I gave the dry amendments to all three and all three now have yellow tips. They seem to be growing fine though besides this.

Now I don't know about giving it the Flower Girl or not. Quite the dilemma lol.
to much P bro. High P also affects and K uptake. Use that lightly and should be ok but not to much definitely 1/4 recommended IMO

neuromorphic

neuromorphic

to much P bro. High P also affects and K uptake. Use that lightly and should be ok but not to much definitely 1/4 recommended IMO

Ok, I will use 1/4 when I use it. I should have used less of the 4-4-4 one too probably. Do you think I should give it some when I water next in a couple days or wait longer?

I am also going to get some epsom salts and use a small amount of that. Just 1 - 2 grams per gallon of water?

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Ok, I will use 1/4 when I use it. I should have used less of the 4-4-4 one too probably. Do you think I should give it some when I water next in a couple days or wait longer?

I am also going to get some epsom salts and use a small amount of that. Just 1 - 2 grams per gallon of water?

Hey Aqua :) Neuro I just went through this amigo. My soil got too hot (rich) and I burned the living shit out of some two week olds. Didn't think they were going to make it. Bitch with soil (I grow in dirt/bags too) is that it is already rich in nutes. 7 Gallon bags with the right dirt will carry you through the 3 to 4 week of flowering sometimes with the need to only supplement Cal/Mag and a Bloom Booster once each per week. If you are feeding too rich you will get the same type of deficiency expression in the leaves. Nute lock will do it. And bouncing a soil based plant out of it is simple. Clear water only until the new growth is clean and green. Let the bag go light and dry between waterings. Essentially you are slowly getting the excess nutes locked in the soil out instead of flushing and freaking out your microbes. Aqua smack me if I'm wrong for jumping in lol :D

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Has anyone asked what type of water he is using? I re read post but dont see it? Tap water, well water R/O? Might be the answer Maybe I am blind lol. Was it mentioned?
I think I read he is ph'ng at 6.5 to 6.8. Whoops. Missed it. Run off measurement. I bet he's way high.

Top Bottom