Yellowing 10 days after transplant, abnormally high co2 reading?

• Thread starter Wanderlust
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Wanderlust

Wanderlust

I'm experiencing abnormally high co2 readings and yellowing plants about 10 days after transplant. Plants are still vegging. The room is sealed and co2 enriched with an electronic ignition co2 generator. The meter has been reading "hi" which means above 2500 ppms. I have cut the gas to the generator so it hasn't run in days, but the readings continue to read "hi" every day. I don't believe its a calibration problem or proximity of the meter to ballasts/cables. I let the room air out for a while and ppms will drop down to 500 or so, but will jump back up to 2500+ the next day. There are 8 beds of 9 plants under 1000W lights being spread under trellis. I usually don't feed the plants for the first two weeks after transplant, and supplement one compost tea extraction each week. I water every 3-4 days to encourage root growth. This method has always worked for me in the past. I don't know why its not working now. Plants are yellowing from the top down, and lower fan leaves are dropping. It looks more like a nutrient lock out, as some look like strange deficiencies I don't see often. I will post pictures later today...

1. Are you growing from seed or clones?
Clones
2. How old are your plants?
1 month - 2 weeks in a 1 gallon and about 10 days after transplant into 10 gallon
3. How tall are your plants?
They are under a trellis so hard to say, probably 20" or so
4. What size containers are they planted in?
10 Gallon smartpots
5. What is your soil mix?
Roots Organics
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use?
Tap water, rather hard. about 250ppm out the tap. Aerated 24 hours before use
7. What is the pH of your water?
watered at roughly 6.8
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio?
Haven't fed yet, but transplanted with superthrive and roots excelurator, and have given one watering with compost tea extract (50% worm casting, 50% humus, extracted through a fine mesh with 2 cups kelp and 2 cups fish hydrosolate per 50 gallons of water). This is usually fine for the first couple weeks as roots grow into the already mended soil.
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?
Not yet
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")
Transplanted under eight 1000W HPS for 8000W total.
11. How close are your lights to the plants?
24"
12. What size is your grow space in square feet?
312 ft2
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?
80 degree F and 60 percent humidity
14. What is the pH of the soil?
haven't tested, its fresh out of the bag only 10 days old
15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?
There was a minor thrip attack and everything was successfully treated with spinosad. Plants in mother room and other extra vegging plants were not transplanted and in another room do not have the symptoms.
16. How much experience do you have growing?
Few years

Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Heres some pics. Some of it almost looks like light bleaching, except the bulbs are not very close to the canopy. I don't often get deficiency problems so I'm not great at diagnosing them. Is it a phosphorus deficiency? Magnesium? Any ideas what triggered it?

PA122947
PA122948
PA122949
PA122950
PA122951
PA122952
PA122953
PA122954
Wanderlust

Wanderlust

The last picture is of extra clones look like that have been receiving the exact same food/water look like. They are not in the co2 sealed room. All the plants under the trellis looked green and healthy like this a week ago

Wanderlust

Wanderlust

I know I didn't wait long for a response, but I went ahead and foliar sprayed with epsom salt at a 5ml per gallon, 0.5ml per gallon of sea green, and a half strength dose of spray-n-grow I've had laying around forever, which is zinc and boron I believe, at 15ml per gallon. Hopefully that wasn't a terrible idea.

Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Correction - Spray n grow is zinc and iron, not zinc and boron

Wanderlust

Wanderlust

So the foliar spray had positive effects and plants went through a healthy growth spurt afterwards. Seems like nobody has any opinions on where the lockout/deficiency came from. Anybody?

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

You have a lack of N going on. You can tell from the leaves very common. If you have JC Med Bible look on page 259.

B the way when you foliar feed you want to hit the undersides of the leaves.

Wanderlust

Wanderlust

You have a lack of N going on. You can tell from the leaves very common. If you have JC Med Bible look on page 259.

B the way when you foliar feed you want to hit the undersides of the leaves.

It wasn't a lack of N. The yellowing is on new growth and the veins are green. Also, the same size plants in smaller containers showed no signs of Nitrogen deficiency while being given the same solutions. These are also transplanted into new soil, which should have plenty enough amendments to prevent any deficiency this early on. Also, the foliar (which I am aware of where to spray) of magnesium, zinc, and iron, DID show a huge improvement in plant health. I believe the deficiency was mostly magnesium and possibly zinc. I'm still not certain what caused it. Perhaps the magnesium deficiency was caused by the hard water which may have created a calcium imbalance that was exasperated by the co2, which I also still don't know why it was so high. Either way, the plants are now showing healthy growth, and co2 seems to be getting used up more and the meter doesn't read off the charts, although it still bounces back up to 1500ppms daily without the use of the generator. I followed up a few days later with a compost tea foliar as well. I have fed a low dosage of floranova grow (500ppm), and the tips show slight N burn, so Nitrogen is still plenty present in the soil, further ruling out a N deficiency.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Sherlock Stones here, with an alternate theory that may better explain your situation; no one has addressed this mysterious spike in CO², let alone explained it. You're in beds, right? I'm willing to bet that a fermentation reaction happened somehow in your media bed, resulting in the loss of nutrients and imbalances delivered to your plants and the sudden and otherwise unexplained spike in CO² levels. Maybe your plants got drunk, roots sitting in booze... lol

Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Sherlock Stones here, with an alternate theory that may better explain your situation; no one has addressed this mysterious spike in CO², let alone explained it. You're in beds, right? I'm willing to bet that a fermentation reaction happened somehow in your media bed, resulting in the loss of nutrients and imbalances delivered to your plants and the sudden and otherwise unexplained spike in CO² levels. Maybe your plants got drunk, roots sitting in booze... lol

Hahaha yes drunk plants would make sense. I wondered about the medium fermenting, just never seen it at that level before. I'm guessing the early compost tea application made an incompletely composted soil mix rapidly inebriate the rootzone and cause weird nutrient issues and high co2 levels. Thanks Dr. Stones!

Top Bottom