Yellowing leaves during early flower normal?

• Thread starter Ben1221
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ben1221

Ben1221

What do you guys think of the yellowing and yellow/dead leaves in this video. These plants are all about 1-2 weeks into flower. I posted another thread where they were under watered last weekend. Could that have done it? Or is this normal for the plants to shed inside and lower leaves during flower? Giving them heavy 16 bud a and b for nutes. Thanks!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
That's classic N deficiency. Super common to see a couple weeks after folks switch to bloom nutrients with insufficient N.
I like to use veg ratio all the way through the cycle including flower, the only time I use bloom ratio ferts is as a small dose added on top of the veg nutes, say 70/30 - veg/bloom, and I only do that for the first half of flower or so then taper back to low dose veg nutes to finish.
Alternately some people like to use veg nutes for the first 2-3 weeks of flower and transition to bloom nutes after the stretch. You just need to be careful not to stunt the bud growth with too much P doing it that way.

I've never really had great results using bloom nutes from the start of the flower cycle. It just has too much P and too little N.

Ben1221

Ben1221

That's classic N deficiency. Super common to see a couple weeks after folks switch to bloom nutrients with insufficient N.
I like to use veg ratio all the way through the cycle including flower, the only time I use bloom ratio ferts is as a small dose added on top of the veg nutes, say 70/30 - veg/bloom, and I only do that for the first half of flower or so then taper back to low dose veg nutes to finish.
Alternately some people like to use veg nutes for the first 2-3 weeks of flower and transition to bloom nutes after the stretch. You just need to be careful not to stunt the bud growth with too much P doing it that way.

I've never really had great results using bloom nutes from the start of the flower cycle. It just has too much P and too little N.
Wow thanks for the great lesson man! So I was using heavy 16 veg a and b. Your saying you would suggest I mix that 70 veg to 30 bud nutes for the first 4 weeks or so? Then go maybe 50/50 until flush? Do you think the N deficiency can cause hermies? This is my second grow year and I haven’t had luck with keeping my plants full female even though I feel like I take good care of them.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Wow thanks for the great lesson man! So I was using heavy 16 veg a and b. Your saying you would suggest I mix that 70 veg to 30 bud nutes for the first 4 weeks or so? Then go maybe 50/50 until flush? Do you think the N deficiency can cause hermies? This is my second grow year and I haven’t had luck with keeping my plants full female even though I feel like I take good care of them.

Hermies is mostly from genetics and poor breeding practices, but any form of stress can cause them to exhibit the herm traits if its in the genes.

And yeah that nutrient plan sounds right, just don't mix the ferts together, mix the veg nutes with your water first, then add a little bit of bloom nutes after the veg nutes are well mixed in. I usually do 1ec veg, and 0.3-0.4ec bloom throughout stretch and a couple weeks after.

Madbud

Madbud

What do you guys think of the yellowing and yellow/dead leaves in this video. These plants are all about 1-2 weeks into flower. I posted another thread where they were under watered last weekend. Could that have done it? Or is this normal for the plants to shed inside and lower leaves during flower? Giving them heavy 16 bud a and b for nutes. Thanks!
View attachment 1158354
Doesn’t look bad at all, trim a couple sucker branches and don’t leave the dead leaves laying around.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Leaves, not branches, and yes, that's correct.
I would say it also includes the small sucker branches at the nodes. To me a lollipop strip is when you keep only main branches and the top 1-2 growing nodes on those branches, and remove the leaves from the lower 1/3-1/2 of the plant when you transition to 12/12. After 3 weeks of 12/12 a light defoliation also.

j1sonbrother

j1sonbrother

Supporter

DB Would 44.8/6.4 / 76 be a good choice? through entire cycle .

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
DB Would 44.8/6.4 / 76 be a good choice? through entire cycle .
That's incredibly concentrated, I've not seen NPK numbers that high for commercial fertilizer before. The best ratio for full term is about 2-1-2 but I do like to boost P during stretch and K for ripening. That's why i like foliage pro and potassium silicate together, the numbers add up nicely.

As long as you test the solution to keep it at 1-1.3 ec it could work, but it should also have the appropriate micronutrient package in there also, as some micro packs can be really high iron. That's another reason I prefer Dyna-gro lol... foliage pro has a micronutrient blend specifically designed for cannabis.

Top Bottom