Yep! New here and in trouble with my clones!

• Thread starter Mommag71
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mommag71

Mommag71

So I have started some clones. Used clonex rooting gel, the spray for the leaves of the clones, and another clonex product that got mixed with a gallon of water. I have them about a foot to foot and a half away from t5 lights and at this time they’re on 24 hour light. Had a little droop at first and then they all perked up and looked strong. Now. About 9 days in they’re looking pretty yellow and the leaves are curling up a bit. Looks like I have new growth as well though. I can see some rooting taking place at the bottoms of the cubes too. Is this normal? How far should they be from the light and should they be on 18 hour light cycle? Sorry to ask so much. Got thrown into the business to save a hefty investment and I’m kinda freaking out!

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Are you using domes? With a dome you wouldnt have any reason to actually spray inside the dome (depending on media). The media itself will keep the humidity almost at max. You just want to make sure to pop the dome off once a day for a couple of mins and keep the vents open to prevent mold or rot. Also if your rooms are cold (75 and below at any point) use heat mats.

No reason to put clones under T5's. Just overkill. T8's shop lights or T12's will work fine. Anything more then that you might be drying the cloning media out too quick. No root system. You want them to focus on rooting not growing. Too much light and they will try to grow without a root system or anything to uptake nutes and basically eat itself. If it's a multi light T5 fixture turn off at least half or only run 1-2 bulbs max.

Also with clones basically just use halved veg nutes. 200-300 ppm. After the initial soak/water will go full strength veg nutes (500-600ppm) till they root. Veg nutes and clonex (or any other IBA product). Soaks, Hormex, sprays ect arent needed. You tech dont even need IBA but it helps. You can even use stuff like raw honey.

I always clone under 24/0. Never a single issue. I do that to keep a constant temp in the dome. Temp swings will slow down rooting by a lot and success rate.

7 days or so should end up with this. Pull the dome once they root and wait a day or 2 so they can get acclimated to the enviro and not max humidity. You can kill the clone if you skip this step and throw them directly under lights from them being under a dome. Dome on these got taken off last night. Getting transplanted tonight.
IMG 1773

Last edited:
cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Also just to say. I only use rockwool to clone in. It holds a good amount of water and makes it simple and almost idiot proof w/ a 100% success rate pretty much. Doesnt matter if I'm going to soil, coco, or to wool. Aero/bubble cloners are tits but if you lose power you can kill a whole lotta of clones quick. Even in the commercial setup running 500 plant rooms we would just use domes and wool. Our neighbors would have to run generators when the power would go out so they didnt lose their 1500 clones in aero units. Was quite a funny sight to see.

R

Redskinshero

Are you using domes? With a dome you wouldnt have any reason to actually spray inside the dome (depending on media). The media itself will keep the humidity almost at max. You just want to make sure to pop the dome off once a day for a couple of mins and keep the vents open to prevent mold or rot. Also if your rooms are cold (75 and below at any point) use heat mats.

No reason to put clones under T5's. Just overkill. T8's shop lights or T12's will work fine. Anything more then that you might be drying the cloning media out too quick. No root system. You want them to focus on rooting not growing. Too much light and they will try to grow without a root system or anything to uptake nutes and basically eat itself. If it's a multi light T5 fixture turn off at least half or only run 1-2 bulbs max.

Also with clones basically just use halved veg nutes. 200-300 ppm. After the initial soak/water will go full strength veg nutes (500-600ppm) till they root. Veg nutes and clonex (or any other IBA product). Soaks, Hormex, sprays ect arent needed. You tech dont even need IBA but it helps. You can even use stuff like raw honey.

I always clone under 24/0. Never a single issue. I do that to keep a constant temp in the dome. Temp swings will slow down rooting by a lot and success rate.

7 days or so should end up with this. Pull the dome once they root and wait a day or 2 so they can get acclimated to the enviro and not max humidity. You can kill the clone if you skip this step and throw them directly under lights from them being under a dome. Dome on these got taken off last night. Getting transplanted tonight.
View attachment 901767
cemchris said it just right and those are some beautiful ladies 👍🏽

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
How far should they be from the light and should they be on 18 hour light cycle?

With a double bulb T8 shoplight fixture just above the dome. That is enough room for 4 domes and over a 100 clones on 1 shelf. Heat mat is for the winter months. Also to add you dont need a one of those temp controllers for the mats just plug them in. Mine stay on for about 4 months strait in the winter 24/7. One of these wire shelves can support well over 16 domes and up to almost 500 clones with 1 power outlet and a power strip.

IMG 1776
Last edited:
cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I notice you poke the stem in beside the hole in the wool for better contact. Smart, stealing that.

Yeah when using the big hole and stacking them in a dome you can have a problem of pulling the clone out if it gets caught on something since it doesnt have any resistance.

Mommag71

Mommag71

View attachment 901767
Goodness! So much of that is so different than what I was told! Ok. So when I go in, I should take the dome off for a little while? I do have some roots growing. On one plant I can see the roots on top and through the bottom. Is that ok? I can’t wait to see them today. I’ll add pics in a little bit. Thank you!

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Goodness! So much of that is so different than what I was told! Ok. So when I go in, I should take the dome off for a little while? I do have some roots growing. On one plant I can see the roots on top and through the bottom. Is that ok? I can’t wait to see them today. I’ll add pics in a little bit. Thank you!

Yeah always take the dome off daily for a couple of mins and give them a little fan for some fresh air. Once they all root (or at least 90% of them) go ahead and leave the dome off. You want to get them used to the enviro that you will be putting them in. Roots on top is normal because of the humidity inside the dome. You can see in that first pic. Same thing always on mine.

Mommag71

Mommag71

Ok. I’m here now. I pulled one of the cubes out. Holy roots!! Haha! Here are a couple pics too. I feel like a first time mom🙄

Mommag71

Mommag71

The two middle pics are the same plant. So the top is getting yellow, but there is new growth on the lower part? This one is rooted pretty good. Going to get coco and 5 gallon bags tomorrow to plant. That’s the plan as of now 😬

4CA0CEB3 760D 41C2 8EC6 680F0ADB7BC5
341E2E79 7994 499B ADD2 0A556B5B7171
10CE6BEF B4A8 4F76 85A4 254E339BCA0E
E95DFD13 7ECE 4FEF 8AC8 370FB8ACA73A
mancorn

mancorn

I think good contact with the stem makes them root faster too.
In use the opposite side of the cube and offset the stem. Figure the manufactured hole (now on the bottom) lets in a little air and keeps the cube from getting too saturated. I just push in the stem, no need for a hole. (Plus I always think I’ll be able to peek into the hole and see the roots coming, but haven't notice this actually happens in practice.)

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
In use the opposite side of the cube and offset the stem. Figure the manufactured hole (now on the bottom) lets in a little air and keeps the cube from getting too saturated. I just push in the stem, no need for a hole. (Plus I always think I’ll be able to peek into the hole and see the roots coming, but haven't notice this actually happens in practice.)

I like the thought but that's not really how a water table works. The hole wont cause the rest of the block to dry out faster.. The same as how putting rocks in the bottom of a pot wont help it drain faster, it just pushes the saturated zone up higher.
Good idea punching a fresh hole in it though, I also do that.

Top Bottom