You guys think I’ll need a dehumidifier?

• Thread starter TheGreek_978
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
freezeland2

freezeland2

Mine would 3 times a day. I have the option on this one for a drain line and use it so I never need to empty it.

2 must haves is a drain line and autorestart for use with a controller imo.
I have a sump in the room with a sump pump. Mine drains to the sump.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
yes, i use the dehumidifier in my room the tent is in. not in the tent @Aqua Man, never fit or work in the tent.

i make the room 43% rh. then i use the air in the room at 72f and 43%rh to run into the tent. using the exhaust, at times a humidifier (depending on stage of plants), and a ton of very small fans on smart plugs. i have 4 different smart sensors for rh and temp, i spread them around and they key fans to come on and off. i can keep the tent right, i can raise or lower the temp with a bit of accuracy and the humidity excellently!

till i made the air coming into the tent a bit drier, it was difficult at best to actually control the environment. everything moved everything and nothing worked just right. now i can set it up for a temp and humidity and be confident it maintains it!

DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

What if a person can put the dehumidifier directly below the exhaust port and exhaust the hot air along with the exhaust air from the exhaust fan? I am planning on setting my dehumidifier up as high as i can get it on some sort of stand and then using clip hangers to hang it from the top of my tent and use the stand to just take a bit of weight off of it hanging. Run them to a Y connector and out the window fan.
Buy a full size or nothing. These won't do a thing for you.

In a tent your best bet is good air exchange. Unless you have a huge tent you never put a dehumidifier in a tent. You should control the humidity of the room the tent is in and then use air exchange (exhaust fan) to maintain humidity in the tent.

Honestly you will regret any of those. If the humidity isn't bad in the room the tent is in then you have no need for one.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
You sort of want the air coming out of the dehumidifier, its the dehumidified air.

That is one reason to put it in the room, not the tent. You get the air going into the tent dehumidified to whatever point you want.

It sucks in air from the room, removes a bunch of water from it, and pushes it out the other side.

Panhead59

Panhead59

Yeah, this rookie ( me ! ) has the dehumidifier in the tent. Wonder
If I should move it out into the room or gaf it off till next grow ? Not really having any issues keeping temps/rh stable.

DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

If I should move it out into the room or gaf it off till next grow ? Not really having any issues keeping temps/rh stable.
See. Thats what i think too. I do hydro and have a 50 gallon res. Alot of extra humidity towards the end of flower to keep up with. Im definitely going to try it.

DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

See. Thats what i think too. I do hydro and have a 50 gallon res. Alot of extra humidity towards the end of flower to keep up with. Im definitely going to try it.

mcuecue

mcuecue

i guess im the only one... but i think everyone NEEDS a dehumidifier.

i have found it so much easier to "work with" drier air. i make the room my tent is in a constant 43%, my dehumidifier has a purifier i run some too, but that is just a nicety. without that i have fought the control of the temp/humidity. now, it is no effort.
I agree with you 100% that anyone who is serious about growing cannabis and plans to be successful, should use a dehumidifier, not so big an issue in veg, but definitely in mid-late bloom and while drying after harvest. A dehumidifier is an essential part of a growers tool box, imo

PauliBhoy

PauliBhoy

67%RH is not too bad, what was the temp just before lights come on?

I typically see RH of 90%+ in the early morning hours in my greenhouse. I use one sulfur vaporizer per 500 sq ft and I only see small losses to bud rot late in flower (typically <5%) with no effect on the taste or smell of the buds. One such vaporizer in a small grow tent would keep losses to a minimum for a fraction of the cost of a dehumidifier. Just put it on a timer to run for an hour or two twice through the dark period.

Panhead59

Panhead59

This rookie learned. Dehumidifier almost a must unless you have natural, optimum conditions. In goes in room that tent is in, not in the tent. It throws both temp and rh off constantly, if in tent, giving you little control of environment. Just my rookie experience on first grow. And oh, then you definitely need one for drying. IMO

DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

This rookie learned. Dehumidifier almost a must unless you have natural, optimum conditions. In goes in room that tent is in, not in the tent. It throws both temp and rh off constantly, if in tent, giving you little control of environment. Just my rookie experience on first grow. And oh, then you definitely need one for drying. IMO
Im going to be putting both my dehumidifier and portable AC into my 5x9 when i get it. Ill let you know how that works. Should be fine. Ill exhaust the ac and let the dehumidifier air in the tent. Then set my dehumidifier to whatever i want.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
not the best idea...

you want both outside the tent, condition the air you put into the tent

DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

not the best idea...

you want both outside the tent, condition the air you put into the tent
I just grew this almost the same way. Pretty sure its fine. How do they grow in a room? With the ac and dehumidifier right in the room. Not trying to be an ass...im a first time grower. This was my very first run. So slways room for improvement.
IMG 20210828 150439 582
Planet of the grapes
IMG 20210828 150439 610
Planet of the grapes

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
even if they fit, it is not a great or easy thing to do. both produce heat. both suck water out of the air.

you run the dehumidifier in the room, the slightly warmer air (and over the room area it is less of the impact it is in the tent) is ok. if you exhaust your dehumidifiers air, why run it? the dehumidified air is the warm output air. so that air, the drier slightly warmer air is SO MUCH EASIER TO CONDITION. you can make that air any temp you want with very little effort. then you figure out the dynamics in your tent and find the best place to introduce the air, if you run your fans and exhaust right you dont need much effort to maintain whatever temps you want.

the air conditioner could be put into the tent, mounted in a wall/window and cut a place in the tent so the back of the AC is not in the tent, so the heat goes outside. the AC has a compressor (unless it is a swamp cooler) and removes some of the water from the air. one issue, is where and how it blows that cold air. another is working with that air. if you use a portable type, it will produce heat around the motor and the exhaust has to go somewhere, you lose the room on all sides and it really doesnt work as well as outside the tent.

if you want something in the tent, the humidifier is good.

use a dehumidifier make the room 45% or even 40% then use the ac to condition that room and draw your good air into the tent.

DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

even if they fit, it is not a great or easy thing to do. both produce heat. both suck water out of the air.

you run the dehumidifier in the room, the slightly warmer air (and over the room area it is less of the impact it is in the tent) is ok. if you exhaust your dehumidifiers air, why run it? the dehumidified air is the warm output air. so that air, the drier slightly warmer air is SO MUCH EASIER TO CONDITION. you can make that air any temp you want with very little effort. then you figure out the dynamics in your tent and find the best place to introduce the air, if you run your fans and exhaust right you dont need much effort to maintain whatever temps you want.

the air conditioner could be put into the tent, mounted in a wall/window and cut a place in the tent so the back of the AC is not in the tent, so the heat goes outside. the AC has a compressor (unless it is a swamp cooler) and removes some of the water from the air. one issue, is where and how it blows that cold air. another is working with that air. if you use a portable type, it will produce heat around the motor and the exhaust has to go somewhere, you lose the room on all sides and it really doesnt work as well as outside the tent.

if you want something in the tent, the humidifier is good.

use a dehumidifier make the room 45% or even 40% then use the ac to condition that room and draw your good air into the tent.
They also both shut off automatically when it gets to the right temp or RH. Anyway. Thanks. Mr. Bored with flu.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

I have a temp and rh meter and use ac this way i can run my grow at 79f and rh of 45% with lights on, after lights go off i give them a cool down to 70f, wide temp and rh swing will cause trouble.

Latest posts

Top Bottom